2024 Roster Discussion

Hope you're right. That's why I said a lot of question marks. If Torres and Carrier take the next step and consistently show what they did in some of their nice stretches next season than it might be alright. Not sure what their gna do pitching wise. Did that herick hernandez sign?
Doesn't look like Hernandez signed. Pitching is a huge question mark I agree. The good thing about that staff is we have kind of cleaned house, gone are Gallo, Lequercia, and Torres with their well over 5 ERA combined and Rosario with his over 7 ERA, none of them were going to turn things around, we haven't had many players get considerably better year to year in a long time. It's comical that Arteaga and Dimare have butchered this thing development wise, recruiting wise and now thru the portal and we are still talking about a team that has such a reputation and fertile recruiting ground that they can luck their way into a team that should still win 30+ games without doing many things right.

Advertisement
I don't see the lineup being as awful as everyone is making it out to be. Cyr is a top 5 position player in the ACC next year. Torres and Carrier both showed a lot of potential in limited time next year. We have had a pretty long track record of freshmen coming in right away and being ready to compete with the best in the ACC. Cayfus and Yoyo in 2021, Cyr last year, Collins before that, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if Cuvet is next in showing he can be a top player in the ACC as a freshman. Villegas and Costello are both above average regulars and Long should be an upgrade compared to what we got this past year from the CF spot.

I don't expect us to have the same production offensively during the regular season as this past year but I still expect to be above average in the ACC offensively. On the other hand our pitching is very concerning. But the subtraction of a pitcher who throws 50-60 innings with a close to 8 ERA might be a huge gain in itself.
Kayfus didn’t start until his sophomore year. He only started like 8-10 games freshman year. Don’t even think he had 75 at bats. But yes your point is correct, you have to have production from freshman in todays game. Let’s hope Cuvet is the guy we think he is and a couple of the older guys figure it out.

I think of those three freshmen SS, one of them will give us some production offensively.
Cuvet is the guy I will be watching. Big kid who has incredible power. We need another power bat from the Portal.
Let's not hold back the young guys like we did for Kayfus for Total. Not a fan of Gomez as a starter, unless our three new OF's just not ready. Put one of those freshmen SS out there to learn the position.
Cuvet and Torres kind of remind me of Yonder when he was a freshman, played at 3rd and 1st. They can also DH some..
Villegas could also DH with Costello and Long starting alongside a Freshman.
Catching situation hasn't gone away. We never improved the position....

How many wins?

1. CF Jacoby Long, JR
2. RF Lucas Costello, SR
3. 2B Blake Cyr, SO
4. DH Lorenzo Carrier, R-SO
5. 1B Jason Torres, SO
6. 3B Daniel Cuvet, FR
7. LF Edgardo Villegas, JR
8. C Carlos Perez, SR
9. SS Dorian Gonzalez, JR
Jimenez beats out Dorian. Eric Fernandez can hit. I think that makes for a solid lineup. It’s pitching we should be concerned about.

Advertisement
I believe they both entered the portal.
I know that! There has been no updates to their destinations on where they would be playing this fall.
Someone told me Renzo was coming back about a month ago. I have not seen anything regarding this......

I know that! There has been no updates to their destinations on where they would be playing this fall.
Someone told me Renzo was coming back about a month ago. I have not seen anything regarding this......
According to D1 baseball, they both have not transferred anywhere yet.

Advertisement
Farrow made his way back to FGCU.
Now that the players are back on campus can we get an updated roster going into the fall?

It looks like renzo is on campus from the team pic that was posted yesterday. I believe this is him in the grey it's all about the U shirt, correct?
Screenshot_20230822_102517_Facebook.jpg

Advertisement
Who else is in that picture?
I cropped it to zoom further in on renzo, but Jason Torres and Lorenzo Carrier, not sure who's behind renzo, Costello (wake transfer), Jimenez the freshman SS, I think Maybe Cuvet with the hat on? And then Ziehl is basically cropped out far right...there was other pictures I saw that Villegas, Long, Carlos Perez, Cyr, Dorian Gonzalez, Rafe and some other freshmen were in...

If Renzo is back does that change the lineup around some? Maybe something like this depending on how some of the freshmen perform vs. some of the veterans who werent really starters in the past...

1B: Torres/Cuvet/Renzo?
2B: Cyr/Dorian G
SS: Jimenez/Cyr/Fernandez?
3B: Cuvet/Torres
C: Perez
OF spots: Some rotation between Costello, Villegas, Carrier, Long and Renzo??
DH: Carrier, Renzo whoever isn't playing OF that game or maybe Cuvet or Torres if Renzo starts some at 1B?

Pitching outside of Ziehl. No clue...

Advertisement
We can only hope there are some new faces on campus....some guys from the portal or J.C's.
Is the P from MDC on campus?

Advertisement
Back