2024 Roster Discussion

I had a senior LHP one year who went froma Super reliable #4 or bullpen guy to an all American and we got him in the mink league after he graduated. His velo for most of our season was 84-87 and it doesn’t really get warm until the final month but he had an ungodly fosh. And solid curveball. We noticed as the season went on he held 86-87 longer and flashed some 88-89. So we thought in the heat of the summer maybe he’d get to that 88-91 range and with his stuff he’d have a shot to sign an FA contract. But he just didn’t quite turn enough heads. Numbers were good too.

Advertisement
It's unusual, but not unheard of for players out of eligibility to play summer ball:

"After serving as the team’s closer last summer, righthanded pitcher Eamon Horwedel returned this year and is having success as one of the Growlers’ starters. He was named to the Great Lakes All-Star Game and recently took a no-hitter into the sixth inning of what turned out to be a one-hit, complete game shutout with 10 punchouts. It’s not a pro profile, with a low-80s fastball and a mid-70s slurvy breaking ball that he commands extremely well. He changes his arm angle from a more traditional three-quarters look to a sidewinder, which adds to his effectiveness as a junk-baller. He played for his hometown Michigan Wolverines this past year as a graduate student and may be out of collegiate eligibility, but is still a big reason why Kalamazoo has enjoyed so much success both this year and last."
Northwoods does specifically take senior pitchers without eligibility: “To play in the Northwoods League an individual must be a current college baseball player or a recently graduated pitcher and should have aspirations of playing professional baseball.”

fI would still love to know how he could possibly have eligibility left, but Gomez is playing in the Northwoods League this summer
So you're telling me we lost most of our stud offensive players, signed basically no one of significance from the portal AND I have to watch Dario Gomez roam the OF again while going 0 for 4 at the plate 😡

Advertisement
So you're telling me we lost most of our stud offensive players, signed basically no one of significance from the portal AND I have to watch Dario Gomez roam the OF again while going 0 for 4 at the plate 😡
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I don't follow the baseball transfer portal very closely. Is this looking bad that Miami has made almost no worthwhile additions or is it still early
It’s at the point where high profile additions are fairly unlikely (P5 transfers like Costello are more likely to be reported), but in baseball a lot of portal additions fly under the radar. We didn’t know about Scanlon or Gomez at this point last summer…so it’s certainly possible a couple more additions haven’t surfaced yet.

It’s at the point where high profile additions are fairly unlikely (P5 transfers like Costello are more likely to be reported), but in baseball a lot of portal additions fly under the radar. We didn’t know about Scanlon or Gomez at this point last summer…so it’s certainly possible a couple more additions haven’t surfaced yet.
But of the quality of Scanlon and Gomez lol...**** this season could be brutal. We have 1 proven starter and a lot of questions marks offensively...yikes

Advertisement
How many wins?

1. CF Jacoby Long, JR
2. RF Lucas Costello, SR
3. 2B Blake Cyr, SO
4. DH Lorenzo Carrier, R-SO
5. 1B Jason Torres, SO
6. 3B Daniel Cuvet, FR
7. LF Edgardo Villegas, JR
8. C Carlos Perez, SR
9. SS Dorian Gonzalez, JR

At lunch I scratched out a preliminary lineup myself.
1. Costello RF. High on base %
2.Villegas. LF
3.Cyr Not sure of position.Most likely 2nd
4.Still hoping for a power hitter from the portal. Goldstein or Ross from FAU would have fit nicely here.
5.Torres 1st. I have high hopes for him.
6.Cuvet 3rd or DH. Needs to come in and contribute in a big way.
7.Long CF Another guy who has been in the program a long time, it's your turn.
8.SS One of our freshmen needs to be the opening day SS. The other two need to push at 2nd, 3rd and DH.
9.Perez. C. Weakest position on the team last year. This should have been the number 1 priority during and after the season. Scanlon is not the answer.

Not sold on Carrier as a middle of the lineup guy.
We signed three OF's. One has to be good enough to contribute some time during the season.
If you can hit, they will find a spot for you in the lineup.
If Renzo comes back, his bat could help us out.
I honestly am more worried about our hitting than our pitching situation.
Unless they have some portal guys stashed, this lineup has some serious holes in it.

At lunch I scratched out a preliminary lineup myself.
1. Costello RF. High on base %
2.Villegas. LF
3.Cyr Not sure of position.Most likely 2nd
4.Still hoping for a power hitter from the portal. Goldstein or Ross from FAU would have fit nicely here.
5.Torres 1st. I have high hopes for him.
6.Cuvet 3rd or DH. Needs to come in and contribute in a big way.
7.Long CF Another guy who has been in the program a long time, it's your turn.
8.SS One of our freshmen needs to be the opening day SS. The other two need to push at 2nd, 3rd and DH.
9.Perez. C. Weakest position on the team last year. This should have been the number 1 priority during and after the season. Scanlon is not the answer.

Not sold on Carrier as a middle of the lineup guy.
We signed three OF's. One has to be good enough to contribute some time during the season.
If you can hit, they will find a spot for you in the lineup.
If Renzo comes back, his bat could help us out.
I honestly am more worried about our hitting than our pitching situation.
Unless they have some portal guys stashed, this lineup has some serious holes in it.
Yup. And you haven’t even touched on the pitching. God save us. Smh

Advertisement
How many wins?

1. CF Jacoby Long, JR
2. RF Lucas Costello, SR
3. 2B Blake Cyr, SO
5. 1B Jason Torres, SO
6. 3B Daniel Cuvet, FR
8. C Carlos Perez, SR
You don't think Cuvet and Torres will swap positions?

How many wins?

1. CF Jacoby Long, JR
2. RF Lucas Costello, SR
3. 2B Blake Cyr, SO
5. 1B Jason Torres, SO
6. 3B Daniel Cuvet, FR
8. C Carlos Perez, SR
We are going to stink. Again whatever your current expectations are, lower them.
Lazy hire, no momentum, No intrigue for portal players to come here. We told them we don't really care about baseball with the hire of Arteaga.

Advertisement
How many wins?

1. CF Jacoby Long, JR
2. RF Lucas Costello, SR
3. 2B Blake Cyr, SO
5. 1B Jason Torres, SO
6. 3B Daniel Cuvet, FR
8. C Carlos Perez, SR
Brutal lineup. So many new starters. Lot of question marks. I would think Torres and cuvet would swap spots and in this scenario I'd probably put Cyr at SS and Dorian at 2B...regardless this looks like a borderline regional team at the very best if some of these guys play up to their potential. Pitching is a nightmare right now. Can't believe they haven't gotten some starter caliber arm yet..ziehl and then who??

Can't believe they haven't gotten some starter caliber arm yet..ziehl and then who??
This is where we really need to be concerned. I mean the Pc is now the head guy.

We really need a lot of help. I think that offense will be ok. Not great but it has a little of everything if we play to it. And defense should be fine.

Catching/pitching. Fingers crossed for a few surprises.

Brutal lineup. So many new starters. Lot of question marks. I would think Torres and cuvet would swap spots and in this scenario I'd probably put Cyr at SS and Dorian at 2B...regardless this looks like a borderline regional team at the very best if some of these guys play up to their potential. Pitching is a nightmare right now. Can't believe they haven't gotten some starter caliber arm yet..ziehl and then who??
I don't see the lineup being as awful as everyone is making it out to be. Cyr is a top 5 position player in the ACC next year. Torres and Carrier both showed a lot of potential in limited time next year. We have had a pretty long track record of freshmen coming in right away and being ready to compete with the best in the ACC. Cayfus and Yoyo in 2021, Cyr last year, Collins before that, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if Cuvet is next in showing he can be a top player in the ACC as a freshman. Villegas and Costello are both above average regulars and Long should be an upgrade compared to what we got this past year from the CF spot.

I don't expect us to have the same production offensively during the regular season as this past year but I still expect to be above average in the ACC offensively. On the other hand our pitching is very concerning. But the subtraction of a pitcher who throws 50-60 innings with a close to 8 ERA might be a huge gain in itself.

I don't see the lineup being as awful as everyone is making it out to be. Cyr is a top 5 position player in the ACC next year. Torres and Carrier both showed a lot of potential in limited time next year. We have had a pretty long track record of freshmen coming in right away and being ready to compete with the best in the ACC. Cayfus and Yoyo in 2021, Cyr last year, Collins before that, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if Cuvet is next in showing he can be a top player in the ACC as a freshman. Villegas and Costello are both above average regulars and Long should be an upgrade compared to what we got this past year from the CF spot.

I don't expect us to have the same production offensively during the regular season as this past year but I still expect to be above average in the ACC offensively. On the other hand our pitching is very concerning. But the subtraction of a pitcher who throws 50-60 innings with a close to 8 ERA might be a huge gain in itself.
Hope you're right. That's why I said a lot of question marks. If Torres and Carrier take the next step and consistently show what they did in some of their nice stretches next season than it might be alright. Not sure what their gna do pitching wise. Did that herick hernandez sign?

Advertisement
Back