2024 Race to 300

Advertisement
Are we a talent acquisition/stack chips operation ( or are we development
There's a little projection involved, for sure, but very few QB's (save Dante Moore) have it all figured out at this stage. Judd will be bigger than Justin Herbert with athleticism of a basketball player, and he throws the football pretty well. Let's not overthink this, he'll need coaching but has the ability to present serious problems if he can run and throw the ball.
can’t look at this in a vacuum. We have 3 QBs on the roster that need development to be ready. We needed someone further along and higher ceiling because what we have now are a bunch of projects without the weapons on the outside to win for them

There's a little projection involved, for sure, but very few QB's (save Dante Moore) have it all figured out at this stage. Judd will be bigger than Justin Herbert with athleticism of a basketball player, and he throws the football pretty well. Let's not overthink this, he'll need coaching but has the ability to present serious problems if he can run and throw the ball.
In every draft study I’ve performed, it’s found there is no discernible difference in a team’s ability to evaluate and draft.

For recruiting HS to college, the results are similar. My statement is about any coach at any school getting overconfident in their own evaluation skills being an outlier compared to peers.

You make your evaluation and do what you can, but you also need to understand you are not going to have some magic that no other school has. That’s where evaluators get themselves into trouble.

When it’s a weakness, give yourself several bites at the Apple to increase your odds.

Are we a talent acquisition/stack chips operation ( or are we development

can’t look at this in a vacuum. We have 3 QBs on the roster that need development to be ready. We needed someone further along and higher ceiling because what we have now are a bunch of projects without the weapons on the outside to win for them

these statements are premature.

Advertisement
In every draft study I’ve performed, it’s found there is no discernible difference in a team’s ability to evaluate and draft.

For recruiting HS to college, the results are similar. My statement is about any coach at any school getting overconfident in their own evaluation skills being an outlier compared to peers.

You make your evaluation and do what you can, but you also need to understand you are not going to have some magic that no other school has. That’s where evaluators get themselves into trouble.

When it’s a weakness, give yourself several bites at the Apple to increase your odds.

6'7", 240lb QB? Throws and runs?

That's a big *** apple, brother.

6'7", 240lb QB? Throws and runs?

That's a big *** apple, brother.
Not sure what you’re saying here. Are you saying that coaches and other evaluations are unaware of his size or movement?

Or are you saying that due to his size, the coaches are correct to evaluate Judd at the level they apparently do?

I’m confused because I’ve made no value judgement about the player either way.

Advertisement
I think a bunch of our 3* guys will get bumps as well. I know I know the rating services hate us but I think some are just too good. Isiah Thomas & CWH would be who my money is on for bumps.
CWH and Thomas were both mentioned in Geo's podcast about guys who have been pegged for bumps amongst recruiting sites. CWH is probably going to be a 4-star. Day was also mentioned, I think Pruitt should get some love too but who knows.

Just so everyone can mark it on their calendars...last year, 247 updated rankings July 17th. Rivals was August 19th. Not sure about On3.

Not sure what you’re saying here. Are you saying that coaches and other evaluations are unaware of his size or movement?

Or are you saying that due to his size, the coaches are correct to evaluate Judd at the level they apparently do?

I’m confused because I’ve made no value judgement about the player either way.

I'm saying I believe Mario places a high value on body-types and athleticism because he believes in his ability to teach/coach football.

While other coaches are aware of Judd's physical gifts, they may not assign those attributes enough value to rank Judd in the same tier horizontally as Air Nolan.

If he can develop over the next several seasons the way most QBs do, it's not unreasonable to believe his physical attributes will allow him to play at a level that justifies their evaluation.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm saying I believe Mario places a high value on body-types and athleticism because he believes in his ability to teach/coach football.

While other coaches are aware of Judd's physical gifts, they may not assign those attributes enough value to rank Judd in the same tier horizontally as Air Nolan.

If he can develop over the next several seasons they way most QBs do, it's not unreasonable to believe his physical attributes will allow him to play at a level that justify's their evaluation.
I agree with your premise.

FWIW....nobody is a lock by any means, but if you JUST ADD Patterson & Trader, and then 3 of the lower ranked DL we have on the board (let's go Jayden Jackson, Artavis Jones, and LJ McCray), that puts us at 244 points.

That's better than the 2022 class, 2019 class and almost the 2017 class, all by itself. With just adding 5 kids. BTW, 244 would have landed you the #18 class last year, just between Michigan and Auburn, and 2 spots ahead of FSU.

Start messing around and signing a kid like Scott, or Breland, or Odom, possibly flip a Smith, or Heyward, or Robinson IV....there are still about a billion paths to securing a class WELL inside the Top 10. Again, for the people getting nervous over the past few weeks, Alabama currently has the 32nd ranked class (yes, I know why, please don't Canesplain me), OU is 40th, Auburn is 45th, Deion is 48th, A&M is 21st......things are going to move SIGNIFICANTLY over the next couple months.

Let the guys cook.

Advertisement
FWIW....nobody is a lock by any means, but if you JUST ADD Patterson & Trader, and then 3 of the lower ranked DL we have on the board (let's go Jayden Jackson, Artavis Jones, and LJ McCray), that puts us at 244 points.

That's better than the 2022 class, 2019 class and almost the 2017 class, all by itself. With just adding 5 kids. BTW, 244 would have landed you the #18 class last year, just between Michigan and Auburn, and 2 spots ahead of FSU.

Start messing around and signing a kid like Scott, or Breland, or Odom, possibly flip a Smith, or Heyward, or Robinson IV....there are still about a billion paths to securing a class WELL inside the Top 10. Again, for the people getting nervous over the past few weeks, Alabama currently has the 32nd ranked class (yes, I know why, please don't Canesplain me), OU is 40th, Auburn is 45th, Deion is 48th, A&M is 21st......things are going to move SIGNIFICANTLY over the next couple months.

Let the guys cook.
I think we get to top 10, just gotta start making our move now. Barney on the 1st and a reclassified Mitchell on the 8th would be a great start. I also think landing one of the elite DL in the next couple weeks that we have been talking about for months and told we have set aside a large chunk of NIL for would bring this board great relief. We would be pounding the table screaming we want Bama are UGA in no time.

I think we get to top 10, just gotta start making our move now. Barney on the 1st and a reclassified Mitchell on the 8th would be a great start. I also think landing one of the elite DL in the next couple weeks that we have been talking about for months and told we have set aside a large chunk of NIL for would bring this board great relief. We would be pounding the table screaming we want Bama are UGA in no time.

Agree with this for the most part, but just be careful with the "now" part. Over the next few weeks, absolutely. But things didn't start really getting weird for the 2023 class until July, and we signed the #7 class. It's June 28th.

Mauigoa was 4th of July
Wayne was the next week
Okunlola and Bain were just before signing day
Riley Williams was July 1st
Ray Ray was actually 1 year ago today
Fletcher and Acheampong VERY late
Popo was mid-July
D. Brown super late
Malik was late July

We'll get it rolling soon, I have no doubt in my mind. We're fighting some really big fish, these kids are doing their due diligence.

But I will assure you of one thing: There is not a single staff in America working harder at this than Miami. Literally no one. Mario demands his staff be as relentless as he is. These dudes are literally recruiting almost 24 hours a day.

Agree with this for the most part, but just be careful with the "now" part. Over the next few weeks, absolutely. But things didn't start really getting weird for the 2023 class until July, and we signed the #7 class. It's June 28th.

Mauigoa was 4th of July
Wayne was the next week
Okunlola and Bain were just before signing day
Riley Williams was July 1st
Ray Ray was actually 1 year ago today
Fletcher and Acheampong VERY late
Popo was mid-July
D. Brown super late
Malik was late July

We'll get it rolling soon, I have no doubt in my mind. We're fighting some really big fish, these kids are doing their due diligence.

But I will assure you of one thing: There is not a single staff in America working harder at this than Miami. Literally no one. Mario demands his staff be as relentless as he is. These dudes are literally recruiting almost 24 hours a day.
‘Now’ wise is over the next 30 days. We don’t need to land everyone but we seriously are desperate for momentum. I have written multiple post that we were not only on schedule but ahead of schedule. The good news is that Ray Ray committed on the 28th, today, last year. We do however have twice the number of 3 stars as we had this time last year though. We need make some noise in July and grab 5-7 quality prospects to get that momentum going.

‘Now’ wise is over the next 30 days. We don’t need to land everyone but we seriously are desperate for momentum. I have written multiple post that we were not only on schedule but ahead of schedule. The good news is that Ray Ray committed on the 28th, today, last year. We do however have twice the number of 3 stars as we had this time last year though. We need make some noise in July and grab 5-7 quality prospects to get that momentum going.

100% correct. The next 5 weeks will tell a very big story.

Advertisement
Back