2024 Race to 300

If you remember my thread from last year on the Race to 300 (https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/the-race-to-300.178428/), I pledged my allegiance to being a filthy, smelly, dirty little star *****, wrote a bunch of words nobody cares about on how 300 points on the composite is the gold standard for the truly elite, program-changing classes, and if you want to truly win championships and have a program that has SUSTAINED SUCCESS, you absolutely, positively, MUST be at or near this number for multiple classes.

Well, we got close. We finished with the #7 class, with 284 points. There were only 3 programs that got to 300....Alabama (327), Georgia (315), and Texas (306). Still, I think we all agree, last year was excellent, but if you want to win, you need to stack these classes one on top of each other.

So can we get there this year?

I was asked a few times through the spring, and my short answer was "no". And I haven't changed that stance. Howeverrrrrrrr......your boy might be leaning a little bit after the past month or so. I still don't think we'll get there, because I don't think the offensive class will be good enough, largely due to how utterly horrific we were on offense last year and a lot of kids taking the "wait and see" approach....but can we at least get to 284 again and approach a Top 5 class? I think the answer to that is "yes".

Even though we have 10 commits, and only one is a 4-star, I think we have enough in play to make a realistic run at a Top 5 class. I went to the 247 class calculator, and plugged in a few things. You guys help me out with what I'm missing, but my first assumption is we hold onto all 10 current commits. Probably unlikely given the history and the landscape, but that's what I went with. And then I plugged in the following kids. Again, this obviously would be a MAJOR haul, to start. Do we actually sign every single one of these kids? No. But we have SIGNIFICANT traction with all of them, and I don't think a single person would be shocked if any of these kids sign here. This is where I started:

Dylan Stewart
Justin Scott
Jojo Trader
Aydin Breland
Jerrick Gibson
Zaquan Patterson
Elija Lofton
James Nesta

Only added those 8 to the class, for a total of 18 kids (we'll obviously sign more), and it spits out 264.31. Good for what would have been the 16th best class in the country last year, again with only 18 kids. When you start adding some other solid prospects here and there, I think we do have a realistic shot to get up into the mid 280's and push easily into the Top 10 with scaring the Top 5. Which would be an incredible effort coming off a 5-7 season with the staff turnover we had.

Who am I missing that you guys think are virtual locks to be in the class....and yes, I know that's a **** of an assumption to be made for an uncommitted kid in June. But if we get the 8 above, or even their equivalent (like Breland doesn't come but Stone does, something like that), I think we can push for a truly elite class again. 300 would be very, very surprising to me. But 280 is doable, IMO, and if you stack 2 classes on top of each other like that, you're going to have one of the most talented rosters in the country very quickly.

Advertisement
If you remember my thread from last year on the Race to 300 (https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/the-race-to-300.178428/), I pledged my allegiance to being a filthy, smelly, dirty little star *****, wrote a bunch of words nobody cares about on how 300 points on the composite is the gold standard for the truly elite, program-changing classes, and if you want to truly win championships and have a program that has SUSTAINED SUCCESS, you absolutely, positively, MUST be at or near this number for multiple classes.

Well, we got close. We finished with the #7 class, with 284 points. There were only 3 programs that got to 300....Alabama (327), Georgia (315), and Texas (306). Still, I think we all agree, last year was excellent, but if you want to win, you need to stack these classes one on top of each other.

So can we get there this year?

I was asked a few times through the spring, and my short answer was "no". And I haven't changed that stance. Howeverrrrrrrr......your boy might be leaning a little bit after the past month or so. I still don't think we'll get there, because I don't think the offensive class will be good enough, largely due to how utterly horrific we were on offense last year and a lot of kids taking the "wait and see" approach....but can we at least get to 284 again and approach a Top 5 class? I think the answer to that is "yes".

Even though we have 10 commits, and only one is a 4-star, I think we have enough in play to make a realistic run at a Top 5 class. I went to the 247 class calculator, and plugged in a few things. You guys help me out with what I'm missing, but my first assumption is we hold onto all 10 current commits. Probably unlikely given the history and the landscape, but that's what I went with. And then I plugged in the following kids. Again, this obviously would be a MAJOR haul, to start. Do we actually sign every single one of these kids? No. But we have SIGNIFICANT traction with all of them, and I don't think a single person would be shocked if any of these kids sign here. This is where I started:

Dylan Stewart
Justin Scott
Jojo Trader
Aydin Breland
Jerrick Gibson
Zaquan Patterson
Elija Lofton
James Nesta

Only added those 8 to the class, for a total of 18 kids (we'll obviously sign more), and it spits out 264.31. Good for what would have been the 16th best class in the country last year, again with only 18 kids. When you start adding some other solid prospects here and there, I think we do have a realistic shot to get up into the mid 280's and push easily into the Top 10 with scaring the Top 5. Which would be an incredible effort coming off a 5-7 season with the staff turnover we had.

Who am I missing that you guys think are virtual locks to be in the class....and yes, I know that's a **** of an assumption to be made for an uncommitted kid in June. But if we get the 8 above, or even their equivalent (like Breland doesn't come but Stone does, something like that), I think we can push for a truly elite class again. 300 would be very, very surprising to me. But 280 is doable, IMO, and if you stack 2 classes on top of each other like that, you're going to have one of the most talented rosters in the country very quickly.
I was waiting for a thread like this

We get 3 five stars on the d-line we'll get to 300 points I did a few models on the class calculator over the weekend

Obviously the rankings on the sites will change, but as of right now, we're in the game for 4 of them:

Simmons -- #4 overall
Stone -- #6 overall
Stewart -- #10 overall
Scott -- #12 overall

And then Breland is just outside of those guys at #33, the 4th highest 4-star (the composite only has 29 5-star kids at the moment).

Signing THREE of those kids would cause it lasting longer than 4 hours.

Advertisement
Obviously the rankings on the sites will change, but as of right now, we're in the game for 4 of them:

Simmons -- #4 overall
Stone -- #6 overall
Stewart -- #10 overall
Scott -- #12 overall

And then Breland is just outside of those guys at #33, the 4th highest 4-star (the composite only has 29 5-star kids at the moment).

Signing THREE of those kids would cause it lasting longer than 4 hours.
Facts man that would be epic **** signing 3 of those monsters plus I think we end up with multiple more top d-linemen on top of those

Not a lock but Ahfua is a big name that could be in the class. Think we will add another 4 star WR as well. Not to mention we will are still in it for tons of studs.

Yup, I was thinking Ahfua and Bray Staley as two guys not listed that we are probably in a top 2/3 position in their recruitments. We may not be leading right now, but Tank Hawkins is another possibility at WR (especially if the offense pops) and maybe even a Drelon Miller who recently visited. There really are some big names showing interest and watching what the offense looks like. Deliver on those promises and things could get interesting.

Advertisement
Thanks OP. The 2023 class had a grand total of seven 3-star players commit and of the seven, most were in that 87-to-88-point rating. To date, the 2024 class has nine 3-star players, four of which not having a national rank which hurts the total points, rating in the 85 range. At this point, I just don't see it unless some of these cats are dropped and Mario the "Great Recruiter" starts landing more blue chippers.

Thanks OP. The 2023 class had a grand total of seven 3-star players commit and of the seven, most were in that 87-to-88-point rating. To date, the 2024 class has nine 3-star players, four of which not having a national rank which hurts the total points, rating in the 85 range. At this point, I just don't see it unless some of these cats are dropped and Mario the "Great Recruiter" starts landing more blue chippers.
Is "the great recruiter" sarcasm?

I think a bunch of our 3* guys will get bumps as well. I know I know the rating services hate us but I think some are just too good. Isiah Thomas & CWH would be who my money is on for bumps.

He might not get bumped all the way to a composite 4*, but Shavers is another guy who could get a big bump with a strong senior year. He was apparently playing through an injury last season.

Advertisement
Well Done Good Job GIF by Apple TV+

Advertisement
No need for sarcasm. He’s a great recruiter and other teams fans will admit that outside the inbreds in Gainesville

Those 85 rating 3 stars will all end up 87-88 maybe 89 for a couple of them.

Advertisement
Back