2024 PFF Big Board - 6 Miami Players

For a team with “no talent” 6 players possibly being drafted would be impressive...
We are all led by narratives. Finish 5-7 and we have no talent, win 10 games and everyone is beating their chest that we are as talented as UGA. We have talent to be competitive in the ACC, our problem is that we consistently have had NFL talent in some spots while other spots had guys that would struggle to start at a G5 school.

Advertisement
There are not SIX Day 1or 2 players on this team right now.

Many would have said the same about the players on the roster in 2012. Finished with a 22-16 in the 3 years prior. Yet we ended up with 6 players drafted. I honestly can't say how many nfl quality players are on the roster because the Cristobal coordinators were so unbelievably bad. Once I see the players being utilized correctly, I'll be able to make a better guess. TVD is pretty much the textbook example - I have no idea if he's an excellent QB and he sucked because of Gattis, or if he just had a nice little run in 2021 but defenses figured him out (so scheme didn't really matter). You see it all the time in football, a backup comes in and he looks like the next big thing, but as soon as the defense gets enough film and figure out his tendencies, it's over.

Last edited:
High School: Rated three-star prospect by ESPN.com and 247Sports.com…Listed as No. 29 player in South Carolina and No. 100 offensive tackle nationally by ESPN.com…Rated No. 39 player in South Carolina by 247Sports.com…Led Sumter to 10-1 record and appearance in Class AAAAA regional semifinals as senior in 2018…Chose Miami over offers from Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina, Campbell, Georgia Southern and Western Kentucky. among others.

Zion visited, was offered, & committed on 12/13/18 & signed 12/18/18. No, 247 nor ESPN bumped him to a 3-star in one day. RIVALS had and has him as a 2-star.

Post in thread 'Zion Nelson, OT, Sumter HS (SC)' https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/zion-nelson-ot-sumter-hs-sc.141764/post-3678509

He was a 2 star composite until 12/14
Top 247 had him as a 78 until 12/14

A 78 is a 2 star player

Advertisement
Many would have said the same about the players on the roster in 2012. Finished with a 22-16 in the 3 years prior. Yet we ended up with 6 players drafted.

How many Day 1 or Day 2 players were on Oregon’s roster …

That’s what we should be looking at in terms of what we can expect from Mario’s patient build, right?

*rewinds back to 2019*

Florida Gators lead for Leonard Taylor

1000_F_232910950_vl13DzZ56BB4ypdga2MsnwtcRzVrumSf.jpg

Comparing to other sophomores doesn't really do much for me because that doesn't mean any of those guys should be declaring for the draft early based off their first two years.

Nobody is saying LT can't pop off this season and become a first rounder. He certainly has the potential. But based off his resume right now, he is not a first rounder.

If he sat this season out he would not be a first rounder, guaranteed. Just like Zion. Zion was a projected top 10 pick this time last year and sat out, and his NFL draft grades were awful after the season.

Its because these preseason mock drafts are based off potential mostly. Brad Kaaya, TVD, Zion, etc all were first round pick projections at some point.

So my statement wasn't really incorrect. As of right now, he hasn't performed like a first round pick.

Players like Caleb Williams, Drake Maya, etc. If they sit out a season, they'll still be first round picks bc they've performed like it already.

LT is mostly potential right now. Which I hope he reaches it.
I think we can agree to disagree here. We have to consider other sophomores because those are his competitors for a 1st round position. Versus his peers that are also draft eligible he makes an incredibly strong case. How does a first rounder play?

Van Ness didn’t start a game at Iowa and was a top 15 pick. Anthony Richardson was terrible by all non-athletic measurements. The standard for first round play is murky at best. LT’s disruption= first round pick. Even if he maintains his current level of play and they increase his snaps his production would be on par with any DT in the country. He’s shown he can be dominant at times. The traits are too good to pass up.

I want to see him take the next steps and play more snaps. Make it impossible for the coaches to take him off the field and eat for an entire season. That’s how he can go from 20’s to top 10.

Advertisement
Post in thread 'Zion Nelson, OT, Sumter HS (SC)' https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/zion-nelson-ot-sumter-hs-sc.141764/post-3678509

He was a 2 star composite until 12/14
Top 247 had him as a 78 until 12/14

A 78 is a 2 star player

Can’t argue w/ any of that, & I stand corrected. At the time of his commitment or should I say signing, I saw 3 star for ESPN & 247 & Rivals as a two star. Then again, I don’t have the subscription for 247 that breaks down the progression. So I appreciate u putting me in my place on this one. Lol

Regardless, even with how low he is as a 3-star, getting drafted in any rounds is a blessing & truly beating the odds. However, he’s gotta be healthy. I’m still not sure what happened or what his injures truly is. I thought it was supposed to be an off season clean up & then we keep hearing set backs.

I think we can agree to disagree here. We have to consider other sophomores because those are his competitors for a 1st round position. Versus his peers that are also draft eligible he makes an incredibly strong case. How does a first rounder play?

Van Ness didn’t start a game at Iowa and was a top 15 pick. Anthony Richardson was terrible by all non-athletic measurements. The standard for first round play is murky at best. LT’s disruption= first round pick. Even if he maintains his current level of play and they increase his snaps his production would be on par with any DT in the country. He’s shown he can be dominant at times. The traits are too good to pass up.

I want to see him take the next steps and play more snaps. Make it impossible for the coaches to take him off the field and eat for an entire season. That’s how he can go from 20’s to top 10.

Agree with you on LT. DT is such a vital position that many nfl teams will draft purely on physical attributes, even if production doesn't match. A lot of production depends on scheme and how well coached a player was in college. Production might mean a lot for RBs in the draft, but I don't believe it's that important for DTs. LT has all the physical attributes you want to see in a DT.

Advertisement
You’re joking right? LT lacks consistency but name a true sophomore who isn’t inconsistent. There aren’t many DT’s with his quickness and athleticism. 19 TFL’s his first two years to go along with 5 sacks in limited starts.

Miami fans are hypercritical of our players. This is the year for LT to earn his money but he’s well on his way to bring a 1stcC round pick.

I would give it to them to read. He should be disrespected that he isn’t a projected top 5 pick. He’s that talented. There’s no settling or being content with being a fringe 1st round player. He was the number 3 player coming out of HS. Top 5 is the goal!
CoCane4Life
You make excellent points here but beware, most of the cynical CIS farts don’t want facts because facts will destroy their narrative. Nice job by you tho!

Advertisement
This list is a joke

I look at this as more of a "Top 100 returning players" list and not a predictive "Top 100 in the 2024 draft" list

It's a starting point, not a prediction of the ending point.

A ton of players not on the list will break out this year. A ton of players on this list will sh*t the bed this year. It's a nightmare trying to predict at this point.

I'd say if over 50% of this or any list of Top 100 players at this point actually get drafted in the Top 100 - it's actually a pretty good list.

It's just interesting to see IMO

Last edited:
Can you imagine this place if Mario brought in six transfers rated that high who most of us hadn't watched and dissected before today?

There's be posters arguing over whether or not we'd be favored over UGA on a neutral field

Advertisement
Back