2023 5-star DE Hicks travels to UM for Paradise, impressed by Simpson

Lanning and Tosh are gonna be in it for alot if big defensive recruits. Im surprised Georgia isn’t in it they probably have the best DT in the country and had two drafted in the first round this past year

Advertisement
Advertisement
Key piece if we can get him. Now this guy as well as Cormani I think will wanna see if we.can position ourselves to be in the top 10 starting their freshman season. So in that way our performances may play a factor.

Advertisement

David "DJ" Hicks Jr. (Paetow, TX) first set foot on Miami’s campus last year at Paradise Camp. It was there he met Miami Hurricanes great Calais Campbell and started to have thoughts of playing in the orange and green.

“Growing up watching these players and seeing how good there were definitely influenced me, said Hicks. “I did my own research on Miami. Miami used to be a big powerhouse and thinking about all the great players that came from Miami made me want to see what it was about.” The talented 2023 prospect officially visited three schools thus far: Michigan State and Oregon along with Miami. Miami commit Antonio Tripp helped encourage Hicks to take an official visit to Coral Gables.

“I talked to Antonio Tripp,” Hicks said. “He just told me how great Miami is and how great they’ll be in a couple years.”
Hicks took his official visit to Miami on June 10th and described it as a fun experience.

“I had a lot of fun on the visit. We got to do a lot of things see a lot of things, do a lot of stuff. We went to the beach, watched the NBA finals. One of the highlights was just seeing how the coaches react with each other and seeing how connected they are, they are connected like a family. They have good coaches. They have a really good coaching staff. I really like the school. ”
Hicks announced his top school list Friday via social media with Miami firmly planted as one of the seven schools. Alabama, Michigan State, Oregon, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M along with Miami made the cut for Hicks. Both Miami defensive line coaches were recruiting Hicks long before joining the Hurricanes staff this year.

“Coach [Rod] Wright I’ve been knowing him since the eighth grade. Me and him have a close relationship. Coach Wright recruited
Brandon Brown and then he started recruiting me since ninth or tenth grade. Coach [Joe] Salave'a has been recruiting me since he was at Oregon. I feel like the [Miami] coaching staff can put me in a position to get to the NFL.”

Before visiting Miami, Hicks visited Michigan State and Oregon. Hicks most recently unofficially visited Texas A&M.
“Miami definitely stood out among the other visits and Coach Cristobal is a really good coach and a great man. I feel he’s really going to change stuff around at Miami.”

Hicks said he is still going through the process and wants to visit Miami again before making his final decision. Hicks is looking to visit every school on his list before deciding. He also mentioned that the results of Miami’s 2022 season would not be factored into his decision. “[The coaching staff] just there so they really haven’t been able to get their own class in. Can’t really knock on them for having a bad season.”

Michigan State and Oregon are the other schools besides Miami to have Hicks on campus for an official visit thus far. Hicks has not decided on what schools will receive his final two official visits. Hicks will make his decision at the Under Armour All-American Game in Orlando, FL at the end of the season.

David "DJ" Hicks Jr. (Paetow, TX) first set foot on Miami’s campus last year at Paradise Camp. It was there he met Miami Hurricanes great Calais Campbell and started to have thoughts of playing in the orange and green.

“Growing up watching these players and seeing how good there were definitely influenced me, said Hicks. “I did my own research on Miami. Miami used to be a big powerhouse and thinking about all the great players that came from Miami made me want to see what it was about.” The talented 2023 prospect officially visited three schools thus far: Michigan State and Oregon along with Miami. Miami commit Antonio Tripp helped encourage Hicks to take an official visit to Coral Gables.

“I talked to Antonio Tripp,” Hicks said. “He just told me how great Miami is and how great they’ll be in a couple years.”
Hicks took his official visit to Miami on June 10th and described it as a fun experience.

“I had a lot of fun on the visit. We got to do a lot of things see a lot of things, do a lot of stuff. We went to the beach, watched the NBA finals. One of the highlights was just seeing how the coaches react with each other and seeing how connected they are, they are connected like a family. They have good coaches. They have a really good coaching staff. I really like the school. ”
Hicks announced his top school list Friday via social media with Miami firmly planted as one of the seven schools. Alabama, Michigan State, Oregon, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M along with Miami made the cut for Hicks. Both Miami defensive line coaches were recruiting Hicks long before joining the Hurricanes staff this year.

“Coach [Rod] Wright I’ve been knowing him since the eighth grade. Me and him have a close relationship. Coach Wright recruited
Brandon Brown and then he started recruiting me since ninth or tenth grade. Coach [Joe] Salave'a has been recruiting me since he was at Oregon. I feel like the [Miami] coaching staff can put me in a position to get to the NFL.”

Before visiting Miami, Hicks visited Michigan State and Oregon. Hicks most recently unofficially visited Texas A&M.
“Miami definitely stood out among the other visits and Coach Cristobal is a really good coach and a great man. I feel he’s really going to change stuff around at Miami.”

Hicks said he is still going through the process and wants to visit Miami again before making his final decision. Hicks is looking to visit every school on his list before deciding. He also mentioned that the results of Miami’s 2022 season would not be factored into his decision. “[The coaching staff] just there so they really haven’t been able to get their own class in. Can’t really knock on them for having a bad season.”

Michigan State and Oregon are the other schools besides Miami to have Hicks on campus for an official visit thus far. Hicks has not decided on what schools will receive his final two official visits. Hicks will make his decision at the Under Armour All-American Game in Orlando, FL at the end of the season.
Surprising that he said that he doesn’t care about how we do on the field next year. You don’t hear that very often.

Advertisement
Right you don't hear people say that often, I know @Dwinstitles called it all the time how results don't matter its about the relationships and bags and development of course
I been saying it people put too much stock into kids talking about winning. Thats the easy answer in an interview with a 17 year old. Its not about that and alot of fans like to use that as a built in excuse. U will hear alot of UF fans say lets see how they do this year and lose all those elite kids..................Texas 8&4 aint lose no one and if bama beats them and they were 7&5 they would of still landed the number 1 class.

Advertisement
I been saying it people put too much stock into kids talking about winning. Thats the easy answer in an interview with a 17 year old. Its not about that and alot of fans like to use that as a built in excuse. U will hear alot of UF fans say lets see how they do this year and lose all those elite kids..................Texas 8&4 aint lose no one and if bama beats them and they were 7&5 they would of still landed the number 1 class.
Yea for real that's why I laugh when I see UF fans talking about wait until games get played this season knowing they still ain't landing any big targets lol, kids want to be taken care of nowadays

Tw
O things have little to do with the other. One is straight driven by money and proximity while the other is a winning program. To say that kids in normal circumstances don't care about winning is a lil crazy. Kids are willing to give us benefit of the doubt to an extent because he inherited a hopeless situation from Mandy and he's a proven winner. Big difference from not caring about winning... Winners wanna win. That's always gonna be the case.

Tw

O things have little to do with the other. One is straight driven by money and proximity while the other is a winning program. To say that kids in normal circumstances don't care about winning is a lil crazy. Kids are willing to give us benefit of the doubt to an extent because he inherited a hopeless situation from Mandy and he's a proven winner. Big difference from not caring about winning... Winners wanna win. That's always gonna be the case.
Brah yall will hear stuff from kids mouth yet still persist with the same narrative. The kid said it out of his own mouth, they are not dumb and I point out multiple examples where coaches go in got top recruiting classes all while losing or not winning on some grand level. UGA going 8-5, under Kirby, whatever Jimbo been doing, Texas just did, Mack Brown recruiting some of UNC's best classes. Kids are not punishing coaches like oh you aint win with someone else's roster so im not gonna come there. U bring in 2 or 3 classes and nothing changes, then they will factor it. But they are not doing it in year 1.

Surprising that he said that he doesn’t care about how we do on the field next year. You don’t hear that very often.
Mike Bakas going way back use to say it was less how they did on the field and more about coaches and whatever benefits came along.

Advertisement
Back