2022 Roster Discussion

Advertisement
Cory Acton, Jordan Butler and Ben Specht are transferring from Florida. Should we take a chance on one of them?

Cory Acton, Jordan Butler and Ben Specht are transferring from Florida. Should we take a chance on one of them?
There’s some logical sense with Acton. Local and fills a position of need at 2B assuming Vilar doesn’t come back. Numbers have been really mediocre though and I still haven’t gotten over what an a**hole he was when they were here last year.

Advertisement
Luis Espinal is also in the portal.
We have 9 listed in the portal (that includes Quinones who was never on the roster and the three fall cuts). For context FSU and FIU have 10, FAU has 8, and Florida has 7.

If Isaac still was to play, Gino may want to think about “recruiting” him for catcher depth with Thomas leaving.

We have 9 listed in the portal (that includes Quinones who was never on the roster and the three fall cuts). For context FSU and FIU have 10, FAU has 8, and Florida has 7.

If Isaac still was to play, Gino may want to think about “recruiting” him for catcher depth with Thomas leaving.

All of those guys in the portal from all around the state leads to another problem regarding travel ball. D1 coaches don't really know who they are getting. Before Perfect Game took over the prep baseball world, D1 coaches had to call high school coaches. What kind of kind is he? Does he work hard? Does he care about winning? Is he liked by his teachers? Is his dad nuts?

Now, kids are recruited by PG ratings. You get the kid to campus before you find out what you recruited. I know a '21 Florida commit who will be leaving after the first year, guaranteed. But no one up there is asking the right questions. They will find out the hard way.

All of those guys in the portal from all around the state leads to another problem regarding travel ball. D1 coaches don't really know who they are getting. Before Perfect Game took over the prep baseball world, D1 coaches had to call high school coaches. What kind of kind is he? Does he work hard? Does he care about winning? Is he liked by his teachers? Is his dad nuts?

Now, kids are recruited by PG ratings. You get the kid to campus before you find out what you recruited. I know a '21 Florida commit who will be leaving after the first year, guaranteed. But no one up there is asking the right questions. They will find out the hard way.
Recruiting off rankings is 100% true when it comes to elite showcase teams. I know a rising junior who’s got offers from 3 ACC schools. I was told by a coach at one of those ACC schools, they’ve never seen him play in person. They offered bc of his ranking and didn’t wanna be “late to the party.” They ended up taking his commitment and still haven’t seen him play in person.

Advertisement
Gone: Toral, Vilar, Gil, Del, Delly, Lala, Jenkins, Rivera, Born, Frank, Espinal, Federman, Smith, Munroe, Bodanza

I think Gates is the backup 1B/DH now that half the team has defected.

IF: Kayfus, Izarra, Pitelli, Morales, Gates, Garcia, Gonzalez, Wallen

OF: Long, Rosario, Carrier, Gonzalez, Gutierrez, Villegas

C: Perez, Jones

RHP: Rosario, McFarlane, Garland, Walters, Arguelles, Mederos, Dubberly, Fairweather, Regalado, Carter, Ligon, Anello, Ziehl, Rosso, Henry

LHP: Palmquist, Schlesinger

Last edited:
Gone: Toral, Vilar, Gil, Del, Delly, Lala, Jenkins, Rivera, Born, Frank, Espinal, Federman, Smith, Munroe

I think Gates is the backup 1B/DH now that half the team has defected.

IF: Kayfus, Izarra, Pitelli, Morales, Gates, Garcia, Gonzalez, Wallen

OF: Long, Rosario, Carrier, Gonzalez, Gutierrez, Villegas

C: Perez, Jones

RHP: Rosario, McFarlane, Garland, Walters, Arguelles, Mederos, Dubberly, Fairweather, Regalado, Carter, Ligon, Anello, Ziehl, Rosso, Henry

LHP: Palmquist, Schesinger
I don't think all your "gones" are gone, but if so this will be a very young lineup and the only hitters I semi-trust/know are Kayfus/Gates/Morales. If the rotation is Rosario/Mederos/AMac it will be one of the hardest throwing weekend rotations we have ever had, maybe ever and the pen will be legit with Arguelles, Walters (my dude) and Palm.

I don't think all your "gones" are gone, but if so this will be a very young lineup and the only hitters I semi-trust/know are Kayfus/Gates/Morales. If the rotation is Rosario/Mederos/AMac it will be one of the hardest throwing weekend rotations we have ever had, maybe ever and the pen will be legit with Arguelles, Walters (my dude) and Palm.
Whether the "gones" are accurate or not, Gino had better be pounding the pavement in the transfer portal and/or hire the best hitting coach in the country.

Advertisement
Whether the "gones" are accurate or not, Gino had better be pounding the pavement in the transfer portal and/or hire the best hitting coach in the country.
No doubt, been saying that all season. But I would be more than OK with Gil, Smith, Vilar and CDC returning.

/he won't be pounding anything but milkshakes

if that lineup sticks, then my prediction for next season:

Every game we win, the final score will be 1-0

Every game we lose, the final score will be 10-1

Advertisement
Jenkins is playing for Pompano Beach in the local summer league. Given that he’s apparently not done playing baseball and his name is not currently in the portal, I think there’s a good chance he’ll be back. That’s not the league you play in to catch the attention of pro scouts.

Advertisement
Back