2022 Roster Discussion

scane

Redshirt Freshman
Munroe and Frank have entered the portal. Presumably neither is on the postseason roster.

Advertisement
this is an important offseason....

I feel like we can either grow and be way better next season or can capitulate with bad (or no moves) and do even worse

Advertisement
Advertisement
Looking ahead
C Perez
1B Kayfus
2B ???
SS Pitelli
3B Yoyo
OF Born
OF Lala (just being realistic he’s going to be back)
OF CDC(?)/Thomas (if he doesn’t transfer)
DH Gates?

Del and Vilar should be drafted. Time to cut bait with Toral, Rivera, Jenkins, and probably Gil no matter what happens. CDC is listed as a redshirt junior so who knows. Obviously, I’d love to have him back. I have a feeling Thomas transfers to get catching time somewhere.

Our recruiting class is mostly OF and middle infield which matches well with our weak spots. I like what we have returning in the infield, but I can’t say I’m super optimistic overall.

Advertisement
Looking ahead
C Perez
1B Kayfus
2B ???
SS Pitelli
3B Yoyo
OF Born
DH Gates?

Del and Vilar should be drafted. Time to cut bait with Toral, Rivera, Jenkins, and probably Gil no matter what happens. CDC is listed as a redshirt junior so who knows. Obviously, I’d love to have him back. I have a feeling Thomas transfers to get catching time somewhere.

Our recruiting class is mostly OF and middle infield which matches well with our weak spots. I like what we have returning in the infield, but I can’t say I’m super optimistic overall.
I’m concerned about the direction of the program. The regression of every single one of our third and fourth year players in their time at Miami is staggering. It’s literally every single guy. Toral, Gil, Lala, Jenkins, Vilar, ADC, Rivera all got worse over 3+ years here. Most of those guys aren’t even draftable.

Now, I expect Lopez will get let go and a new hitting coach will be brought in to try to work with the second generation of hitters under Gino. Is that the fix? I hope so but I’m not close to convinced it is. The regression of that number of players over that length of time is a really big deal. And, recruiting will quickly dry up when that is the case.

Last edited:
I’m concerned about the direction of the program. The regression of every single one of our third and fourth year players in their time at Miami is staggering. It’s literally every single guy. Toral, Gil, Lala, Jenkins, Vilar, ADC, Rivera all got worse over 3+ years here. Most of those guys aren’t even draftable.

Now, I expect Lopez will get let go and a new hitting coach will be brought in to try to work with the second generation of hitters under Gino. Is that the fix? I hope so but I’m not close to convinced it is. The regression of that number of players over that length of time is a really big deal. And, recruiting will quickly dry up when that is the case.
Hitting has been flat out embarrassing

but defensively way too many errors.... these kids just aren’t getting drilled on even the fundamentals which I’m pinning all the blame on Gino

Advertisement
Hitting has been flat out embarrassing

but defensively way too many errors.... these kids just aren’t getting drilled on even the fundamentals which I’m pinning all the blame on Gino
There is a lot to be concerned about.

Ray Gil has been here 4 years and can’t even play a defensive position? That doesn’t make sense. The hitting is the worst I’ve ever seen.

Gino needs to look in the mirror and acknowledge this isn’t going well.

There is a lot to be concerned about.

Ray Gil has been here 4 years and can’t even play a defensive position? That doesn’t make sense. The hitting is the worst I’ve ever seen.

Gino needs to look in the mirror and acknowledge this isn’t going well.
Why would he do that? He made the postseason. That’s the only goal this program has. The postseason streak was the ultimate get out of jail free card for Morris. The program hung its hat on that when we got embarrassed in regionals and that hasn’t changed.

Looking ahead
C Perez
1B Kayfus
2B ???
SS Pitelli
3B Yoyo
OF Born
DH Gates?

Thats the depth chart I had at the moment. Def not much experience/pop but that didn't do them any good this year anyways...would like to have Vilar return. Id also be ecstatic if CDC came back...id be willing to keep Gil around for pop hoping with a full healthy offseason he could continue to look like he did towards the end of the season minus the postseason...what about the bullpen and rotation..Rosario, mederos, maybe McFarlane? Garland 🙄? Then walters, palmquist in the pen

Thats the depth chart I had at the moment. Def not much experience/pop but that didn't do them any good this year anyways...would like to have Vilar return. Id also be ecstatic if CDC came back...id be willing to keep Gil around for pop hoping with a full healthy offseason he could continue to look like he did towards the end of the season minus the postseason...what about the bullpen and rotation..Rosario, mederos, maybe McFarlane? Garland 🙄? Then walters, palmquist in the pen
I wouldn’t mind Vilar back at all but it feels unlikely enough that I’m not going to think about it. Feel the same way about Gil you do.

Pitching is the one that feels really draft dependent/players desire to continue in college dependent. I would take all of Smith, Fed and Bodanza back, and I’d probably even be slightly optimistic about our pitching if they did. Ignoring them for a minute: Palm obviously closes and Rosario is first in line for Friday. You’d hope Mederos puts the flashes of brilliance we saw early together. I’d like to see Walters get a crack at the rotation. I feel the same way about McFarlane that you do about Garland. Maybe we pick up an arm in the portal or a freshman steps up.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back