2022 Coaches Clinic

Advertisement
I get the connection to all the other guys on that poster but what's the connection with McVay?
I was contemplating the same thing. Mario obviously does the networking thing with fellow coaches very well. I'm thinking through coaching clinics on the west coast and/or McVay is part of or now joining the HoF level brethren that get the fishing invite on Jimmy's boat.

The very limited clips of seeing guys like Belichick actually fully relaxed and personable on his boat and picking Jimmy's mind were always super interesting to watch.

I was contemplating the same thing. Mario obviously does the networking thing with fellow coaches very well. I'm thinking through coaching clinics on the west coast and/or McVay is part of or now joining the HoF level brethren that get the fishing invite on Jimmy's boat.

The very limited clips of seeing guys like Belichick actually fully relaxed and personable on his boat and picking Jimmy's mind were always super interesting to watch.
Yep, every HC wants to meet with JJ.

- McVay being there (and coming across the country to do so) is game over in terms of these things.

- People have already broached the subject but Orgeron being there is all you need to know about the amount of power/autonomy Mario and Rad obviously have at the school now. It's not like Ed's reputation gained any points upon his exit from LSU so if we're now a place where dudes (short of the likes of Art Briles) can come to begin to rehab themselves then it truly is a new day for our program.
Big difference between Ed cheating on his wife and banging every chick that moves, and Art Briles trying to cover up rapes.

That said, Mario probably doesn't mind having Ed around for a clinic, but may not be interested in hiring him.

Mario got big ol' balls. This is a pretty impressive line-up. If he was able to include some smaller college and HS guys then it's a better line-up than most clinics I've been to in 15 years.
The big names are cool to see, but they often don't give any substantial X and O's info.

great point.

coach cozza used to say, "the best coaches in the country are ones you've never heard of, because they're all coaching in high school."

it was back in the days when kids in public schools couldn't switch schools. the coaches ended up with whoever lived in the district and showed up for first day of practice in august. you couldn't "recruit" your team, so you had to coach the guys you had, and because of it, the coaches really had to be good to get the most out of them.

Advertisement
I get the connection to all the other guys on that poster but what's the connection with McVay?
They probably met and chatted when Mario was at Oregon. The Rams surely scouted Ducks’ players. Wouldn’t surprise me if they met when Mario was at Alabama and McVay was working his way up at Washington and scouting Bama players.

Small world.

- McVay being there (and coming across the country to do so) is game over in terms of these things.

- People have already broached the subject but Orgeron being there is all you need to know about the amount of power/autonomy Mario and Rad obviously have at the school now. It's not like Ed's reputation gained any points upon his exit from LSU so if we're now a place where dudes (short of the likes of Art Briles) can come to begin to rehab themselves then it truly is a new day for our program.

there are 5 people that i thought would never be asked to return to the UM campus, and if they did show up, someone would call the cops.

orgeron is probably number 3 on that list of 5.

wow, things are definitely different.

Advertisement
blink-182 wtf GIF

$50 entry fee is insane. Thats basically free. Guess they had to charge something to pay the support staff who will be passing out the BBQ and Coronas during lunch time. This is big time for local coaches!
You’ll get more ppl in attendance. **** I’m thinking of coming down from Tampa. That’s a **** of a lineup to learn from for $50

Advertisement
Advertisement
Interesting. For all the talk that Ed O. would never be allowed anywhere near the program, here he is set to be part of our coaching clinic. I wonder if that's opening the door a crack to normalize relations and eventually hire him on in some capacity?

Nope.

Ed Orgeron will never be rehired by UM. But he is welcome to attend events, reunions, and games as an invited visitor.

Yes, and we would have always had access to this, but for the fact that guys like Shannon and Golden and Diaz felt too threatened and overshadowed by JJ.

there are 5 people that i thought would never be asked to return to the UM campus, and if they did show up, someone would call the cops.

orgeron is probably number 3 on that list of 5.

wow, things are definitely different.

Orgeron was not banned from campus. I'm not sure why people don't understand the distinctions here. Orgeron was an alcoholic and threw hands at women and players, so he is never ever getting back together (with UM on an employer-employee basis).

But hanging out and shooting the ****e? Not a problem.

Advertisement
Back