2021 Recruiting

He was offered by Miami between the timeframe of Benny Williams cutting his list down to 4 schools and Benny picking Syracuse.
Alex Fudge is comparable is size and skillset so hopefully the coaching staff will intensify their recruiting efforts with him.

Last edited:
Advertisement

For a coaching staff that likes big guards, Welsey Cardet fits the role as a 6'5 combo guard.
A local kid from Fort Lauderdale.

A 6'8 forward from Boca Raton who can stretch the floor with a nice handle is always needed.
He does not have an offer from Miami yet.

Last edited:
Advertisement

The schools making the cut for Simmons are Boston College, Miami, Pittsburgh, Northwestern, Texas, Princeton and Yale.

To go with being a high level athlete, Simmons is also a very good student, and that has led to him considering numerous high academic schools along with including some power conference schools that have been recruiting for a while.

With his combination of athleticism, length, size and high-motor play on the wing, Simmons is someone who excels on the court, and he has a lot of untapped potential as his perimeter game continues to develop.

Advertisement

I spoke prematurely but now it is official.

Fudge is probably the best in state guy we could realistically get this class. Really like the kid, he's a bouncy wing who can hit 3s. Reminds me a little of Scottie Lewis on the Gators. Also tall enough to be a true wing, and not a big guard like most of the guys who usually play the wing role for us. It's not like football recruiting, but it would be nice to get some kids in the class to rep their state, and maybe be an ambassador for the class. Hopefully our play this year makes us more attractive for recruiting purposes.

Fudge is probably the best in state guy we could realistically get this class. Really like the kid, he's a bouncy wing who can hit 3s. Reminds me a little of Scottie Lewis on the Gators. Also tall enough to be a true wing, and not a big guard like most of the guys who usually play the wing role for us. It's not like football recruiting, but it would be nice to get some kids in the class to rep their state, and maybe be an ambassador for the class. Hopefully our play this year makes us more attractive for recruiting purposes.

Good and valid point.

It is really about balance on the recruiting board. In fairness, the coaches have great connections to the kids in the DMV, Pennsylvania and the Northeast. No, they don't get all of them but the ones they get make our team very good.
What you would like to see is a kid from Florida on the recruiting board at every position. That would make you happy.
Then, the next question is who is the priority and where do the rest of the kids fall in line on the priority list.
Then you have to balance out your time in recruiting each of those kids.
That is not easy but it can be done.
The hardest part is gauging how serious a kid is about coming to Miami.
That is why I value the final list and official visit. That tells me both Miami and the prospect are serious.
I like Fudge a lot and I agree with you. Also, IMO, Wesley Cardet, Josh Minnot and Ramses Melendez are other big wings who Miami could get commitments from.
This is where it gets difficult. If you take all of the kids who have scholarship offers, group them by position and create your own priority list.
The top tier kids from the DMV, Pennsylvania and Northeast are significantly better but the gap shrinks as you go down the list. Then the question becomes, where do you have the Florida kids on your board.
For example, Benny Williams had Miami in his final four, Miami contacted Fudge, Williams commits to Syracuse and now Fudge has a scholarship offer.
Was the offer too late, NO. Williams flashed early and remained consistent. Fudge has improved and he is coming on strong. Ignore the rankings, you have to watch the games.
It is a very unique process to say. I am sure Miami will fill all 5 scholarships available but with who, I don't have a clue.

Advertisement

“My goal is to fully participate in my final year of high school. I want to walk across the stage at Westtown and make my mother, as well as my family proud.”

As far as schools involved, basically every program who’s offered is involved. That list includes: Pittsburgh, UConn, Illinois, Oregon, St. John’s, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Auburn, Georgetown, Syracuse, UCLA, Georgia, Indiana, Miami, and many others.

“My biggest strength is to be an anchor on defense, being a leader, rebound the ball and finish around the basket. In addition to that I am a good shooter for the two’s and three’s. At this moment in time I am focusing on being more comfortable handling the basketball.”

So this is one big who is going to stay in the 2021 recruiting class.

It is exactly why a guy like Lucas Taylor
intrigues me so much. He’s a big two guard with improving athleticism and a great looking jump shot. Everything I hear on him says he’s in love with getting better and he’s in that late-bloomer category. Clemson and Miami both offered this week. They join others like Arizona State, Connecticut, Marquette, Providence, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Xavier and many others. I don’t know of any leaders for him just yet, but if I was a betting man he lands somewhere in the ACC.

So now we can confirm that after Benny Williams and Casey Simmons committed to other schools, Alex Fudge and Lucas Taylor have replaced them on the recruiting board.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back