2021 MLB Draft Discussion

Advertisement
Advertisement
What round do guys consider staying in college rather than going to the bigs?
Other than Andrew Suarez, who was a draft eligible soph, we haven’t had a player return after being drafted in the first 20 rounds since 2009. Realistically, if they get drafted they almost certainly sign.

Other than Andrew Suarez, who was a draft eligible soph, we haven’t had a player return after being drafted in the first 20 rounds since 2009. Realistically, if they get drafted they almost certainly sign.
Wow, that’s pretty deep rounds.
Maybe some team will draft Gino😂😂😂 so we can get a fresh start. One can dream

What round do guys consider staying in college rather than going to the bigs?
If you get drafted in the first 10 rounds, you are signing unless you fail your physical. Teams negotiate deals with players before they pick them (really, their agents, but you get the point).

There is all kinds of strategy involved with the MLB draft and it is not a case of pick the best player, but rather pick the best collection of players you can finagle into your bonus pool. Like taking a kid at number 7, who really is a comp round talent and then taking a guy in the 2nd round who is signed with LSU, but from your area and will sign for back-end 1st round money.

The end result is two comp-round talents rather than one top-10 talent and one 2nd round talent. I'd take the top-10 talent, but the bust rate in MLB is extreme, and even the guys who hit are often just guys. A lot more, teams are taking more of the approach of getting several guys who they think have the best chances of just making the majors and then trying to develop a star or two out of them.

I prefer popping the premier talents and then trying to develop depth, personally.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I agree. Someone will take a shooter on him, Gil, Toral, etc. since it only costs them ~$10k as these kids have no leverage when they are seniors.
So do you forsee all of them taking such little money and leaving? Technically all of them have an extra yr to use so that is a bit of leverage, no? I think Toral already mentioned he played his last game for Miami tho

At this point, the most they can get is 125k unless the team that drafts them has extra money available.

I almost think these guys come back and try again next year, unless they really hate it here.

So do you forsee all of them taking such little money and leaving? Technically all of them have an extra yr to use so that is a bit of leverage, no? I think Toral already mentioned he played his last game for Miami tho
That's what I'd expect, since none of them will likely command early round money by staying, and they'd be another year older and of potentially even less value. You may be right on the extra year and its effect, but we aren't talking about high ceiling guys to begin with IMO.

Ironically, if they aren't drafted at all, it may hurt recruiting more than it would help next year's roster. Although I'd take Vilar back in a heartbeat - he's was probably our most consistent offensive and defensive player w CDC.

Advertisement
If you get drafted in the first 10 rounds, you are signing unless you fail your physical. Teams negotiate deals with players before they pick them (really, their agents, but you get the point).

There is all kinds of strategy involved with the MLB draft and it is not a case of pick the best player, but rather pick the best collection of players you can finagle into your bonus pool. Like taking a kid at number 7, who really is a comp round talent and then taking a guy in the 2nd round who is signed with LSU, but from your area and will sign for back-end 1st round money.

The end result is two comp-round talents rather than one top-10 talent and one 2nd round talent. I'd take the top-10 talent, but the bust rate in MLB is extreme, and even the guys who hit are often just guys. A lot more, teams are taking more of the approach of getting several guys who they think have the best chances of just making the majors and then trying to develop a star or two out of them.

I prefer popping the premier talents and then trying to develop depth, personally.
Thanks, good info!

Carter told the Sun Sentinel that he’ll sign. I haven’t found any quotes from Del.

It's fascinating to me how many kids sign for peanuts to languish in the minors (sounds like a crap existence) for a couple of years before going pro in something other than baseball. Must be an intense competitive drive/love of the game.

Great info. It seems like any draft eligible college player drafted signs, but that really puts it in perspective. I remember a few years back a kid from fsu, an outfielder, came back for his senior year and moved way up the draft board. I think he ended up going first round. Anybody remember his name?

Advertisement
Back