2021 MLB Draft Discussion

It's fascinating to me how many kids sign for peanuts to languish in the minors (sounds like a crap existence) for a couple of years before going pro in something other than baseball. Must be an intense competitive drive/love of the game.
I often wonder the same when players leave early to the NFL draft with late round/UDFA grades.

Not even a guarantee of a practice squad spot

Kids are chasing a dream and feel that much closer I suppose. And realistically alot of kids know college isn’t for them so why go

Advertisement
Great info. It seems like any draft eligible college player drafted signs, but that really puts it in perspective. I remember a few years back a kid from fsu, an outfielder, came back for his senior year and moved way up the draft board. I think he ended up going first round. Anybody remember his name?
James Ramsey?

It probably feels like everybody signs, but kids are signing far less these days than in the past.

Of the top-100 on MLB.com, ~50 are high school players. So, of the top-50 high school players, you can pretty much take out the ones ranked in the top-20 because those kids are essentially signing (less than a percent do not). So now you're left with 30 kids.

Of the 30 kids who would be considered players capable of getting a million dollars or more to sign, 15 by my quick count have not been picked yet. That is incredible and highly unusual for previous trends. College baseball is changing dramatically and MLB is all too happy to let college baseball be a proving ground for the non-elite kids to go to school and let them evaluate for free.

For the record, Miami is getting zero of these kids. The kids ranked in the top-150, Miami had one and he is going to sign.

The 11th/12th round are sort of the last dance for these kids.

Seven HS kids signed in the 11th round in 2019.

Two were ranked (Carter Bins at 134, signed for $350K, Trevor McDonald at 183, signed for $800K).

Eight HS kids signed in the 12th round in 2019.

Three were ranked (Gavin Collyer at 125, signed for $585K, Avery Short at 159, signed for $922K, Yan Contreras at 170, signed for $249K).

One HS player signed in the 13th round in 2019. Tyler Owens, at 199, signed for $547K.

Three HS players signed in the 14th round in 2019. None were ranked.

Bodi Rascon signed for $432K, Tyler Statler signed for $300K, Jared Johnson signed for $257K.

It's even more rare after that.

I often wonder the same when players leave early to the NFL draft with late round/UDFA grades.

Not even a guarantee of a practice squad spot

Kids are chasing a dream and feel that much closer I suppose. And realistically alot of kids know college isn’t for them so why go
College is paid for with these kids who sign. Even the Juniors get a trust setup for the last year they need for their degree.

It's put into a trust fund and is for the value of the degree from the institution you are signed with. So, if you're signed with Duke, it's worth a lot more than if you're signed with Florida etc.

Because no player in college baseball really gets a full (baseball) scholarship at D1, this is pretty intriguing (Juco's give out full scholarships). You can go play baseball professionally, get your signing bonus, then when you retire, you go to school for free. There are stipulations like length of time after you retire, grades etc. but it's free.

Most players I know have student loans when they graduate because they don't get all of school paid for.

Now, a lot of these trusts go the way of gift cards and don't get used, but it's a **** of a pitch in the moment and, truthfully, if you want to play professionally but still have college as a fallback, this is enticing.

Advertisement
College is paid for with these kids who sign. Even the Juniors get a trust setup for the last year they need for their degree.

It's put into a trust fund and is for the value of the degree from the institution you are signed with. So, if you're signed with Duke, it's worth a lot more than if you're signed with Florida etc.

Because no player in college baseball really gets a full (baseball) scholarship at D1, this is pretty intriguing (Juco's give out full scholarships). You can go play baseball professionally, get your signing bonus, then when you retire, you go to school for free. There are stipulations like length of time after you retire, grades etc. but it's free.

Most players I know have student loans when they graduate because they don't get all of school paid for.

Now, a lot of these trusts go the way of gift cards and don't get used, but it's a **** of a pitch in the moment and, truthfully, if you want to play professionally but still have college as a fallback, this is enticing.
That's really interesting. These scholarships funds don't count against the MLB team's signing pool?

Advertisement
Rafe Schlesinger and Karson Ligon are our top HS pitchers still not taken yet. Hopefully we can get both on campus.

Round 13 is in the books. Our wayward COVID Juniors remain on the board.

Advertisement
That's really interesting. These scholarships funds don't count against the MLB team's signing pool?
Nope. The cost of education does not count against their bonus pool.

Capture.PNG

Advertisement
It blows my mind that Toral was one of the top prospects in the country after his junior year of high school

Advertisement
Back