2021 MLB Draft Discussion

Advertisement
Of the fourteen players in Miami’s class (that includes Carter who is obviously gone) only four (Anello, Dorian Gonzalez, Gutierrez and Henry) are not found as prospects in MLB’s Draft Tracker.

This is potentially intriguing as I’m operating under the assumption that the player pool in the tracker matches the registry collected by the Commissioner’s Office, which requires that interested clubs submit a player’s name into the pool if they are to be drafted. I.e. someone thought enough of most of our recruits to do so. To boot, three of the four names not found are in PG’s top 350.

In summation this all may mean absolutely nothing but I thought it an interesting anecdote in our greater story of present and future failings to retain and develop talent.

Of the fourteen players in Miami’s class (that includes Carter who is obviously gone) only four (Anello, Dorian Gonzalez, Gutierrez and Henry) are not found as prospects in MLB’s Draft Tracker.

This is potentially intriguing as I’m operating under the assumption that the player pool in the tracker matches the registry collected by the Commissioner’s Office, which requires that interested clubs submit a player’s name into the pool if they are to be drafted. I.e. someone thought enough of most of our recruits to do so. To boot, three of the four names not found are in PG’s top 350.

In summation this all may mean absolutely nothing but I thought it an interesting anecdote in our greater story of present and future failings to retain and develop talent.

Anello and Gonzalez probably will end up as 2 of the better players in our class, at least at the college level. Both were actually top 150 HS players pre-pandemic. Neither has much physical upside though, which is probably why they didn't have MLB interest. Anello comp would be Federman, maybe Vilar for Gonzalez.

Advertisement
Del signed for $1 million per the BA Draft Database. That’s about 25K above slot.

Advertisement
Couple of notable draft stories: The Mets have backed off their way above slot offer to Kumar Rocker due to elbow concerns. Jud Fabian appears to be going back to the Gators as he wanted way more (3 million) than the slot value the Red Sox proposed.

Advertisement
Couple of notable draft stories: The Mets have backed off their way above slot offer to Kumar Rocker due to elbow concerns. Jud Fabian appears to be going back to the Gators as he wanted way more (3 million) than the slot value the Red Sox proposed.
Fabian's an idiot if he turns down ~$2MM. College position players need to put up monster numbers to be a high 1st round pick. He hit .250 this year, albeit w 20 HRs. I seem to recall we had a player like that a couple of years ago, who wasn't even drafted this year.

But then, it's UF and it seems they exceed the mean on guys who should sign but come back.

Advertisement
Either independent league or just going to train for the year
It seems like this situation was incredibly botched by the Mets. How do you not have nearly 100% of the info you need before making your Round 1 pick, and then free up money elsewhere in your pool to pay him more than slot value, only to not sign him?

It seems like this situation was incredibly botched by the Mets. How do you not have nearly 100% of the info you need before making your Round 1 pick, and then free up money elsewhere in your pool to pay him more than slot value, only to not sign him?
In fairness; Rocker refused to participate in the pre-draft MRI process. This is why the Mets get a comp pick despite pulling their offer from Rocker (you have to make an offer of a certain percentage of the slot to receive a comp pick unless an injury arises in physical and the player did not participate in pre-draft medicals).

Then, the Mets negotiated in good faith. In fact, I believe he was the first agreement announced in the 1st round or maybe the entire draft.

They perform the physical and find an issue. This issue was apparently known by the Rocker camp and not disclosed.

To me, I think the Mets made two mistakes: 1. They should've been willing to take/sign Rocker even with some wear/tear on the arm since he was pitching two weeks prior and throwing well. 2. Taken a guy in the teens who would need a big money deal to sign as a fallback. Someone like Gage Jump etc.

Now, the Mets get pick 11 in a better draft next year, but they have to sign that player since the pick is no longer protected, so it'll be a straight-forward pick most likely rather than BPA. They look bad here and left money to spend in a process that provides clear return on investment.

Also, the perception is similar to the one quoted here which is just bad for a team in a market like New York.

Advertisement
Back