NFL 2021 Draft

I don't agree that Phillips cost himself money. I don't think returning should even have been in consideration for him. He'll be 22 shortly after the draft, had major injuries earlier in his career that almost cost him his career, and he showed everything he possibly could on film. Teams who draft him know they're gonna get a guy who plays hard, is physical, and has developing rush moves. Returning to show the same things but better and delay your career by a year is stupid.

Rousseau has far more question marks on tape and you see those brought up every time he's mentioned anywhere. You can talk about his size and enticing traits but I don't see other players listed in the top 20 with so many caveats and reservations. Maybe Fields and Lance but they're QBs. I still think once coaches get involved in the process GR's stock will fall further. Coaches really value run defense and GR struggles at the point of attack. His talent should get him drafted late in the 1st though once the high floor studs are off the board.

Likewise Jordan has 4 things he could do to raise his stock dramatically: stay healthy, create separation in his routes, catch the ball in traffic/away from his frame and block. That's a lot of knocks on a short TE which is why you see him in the 3rd/4th range behind a relatively JAG talent in Hunter Long. I can't argue against it either because at least Long can create separation at the top of the route stem a la Witten and make contested catches.
Pretty spot on.

My personal opinion is that Brevin definitely cost himself money, Rousseau may* have cost himself money but it might be negligible (relatively speaking) and anyone suggesting that Phillips made a mistake is fine with potentially costing him ALL of his money.

Advertisement
I'm not ready to make the comp, but from a physical standpoint Brevin Jordan compares pretty favorably to Randy McMichael. These are McMichael's combine numbers compared to Brevin's verified numbers out of high school:

Randy McMichael (combine)- 6'2.5, 245, 4.84 forty, 4.28 shuttle
Brevin Jordan (high school)- 6'3, 250, 4.78 forty, 4.21 shuttle

They key number there is the shuttle. Quickness is the heart of Brevin's game. McMichael started 150 games in the pros and I believe Brevin is more talented.

Agree. They shouldn't overthink this. Rousseau has elite size, moves like a LB, had 15.5 sacks in his only season and is smart with clean character. He will go high and play well.

The caveats and reservations are manufactured to me. It's nitpicky stuff that will look bad in retrospect. He dominated guards because that's where we put him. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

You take productive freaks. Teams nitpicked Derrick Henry. Same with DK Metcalf and Lamar Jackson. In retrospect, it's insane that so many teams missed.

Give me a 6'7 monster with fluidity, COD and bend who is also the most productive pass rusher in the draft by far.
No, let him fall lol. If we could get a WR at 3 with him falling to 18 the. It would be A ++ for the first round.

I'm not ready to make the comp, but from a physical standpoint Brevin Jordan compares pretty favorably to Randy McMichael. These are McMichael's combine numbers compared to Brevin's verified numbers out of high school:

They key number there is the shuttle. Quickness is the heart of Brevin's game. McMichael started 150 games in the pros and I believe Brevin is more talented.
I think a better comparison is Chris Cooley or even Jordan Reed. Randy really couldn’t do anything after the catch but Brev can. I’m willing to bet he tests better than that too.

I still remember the first time I saw Rousseau (at the spring game). He looked like a varsity kid that snuck into JV practice. He towers above everyone.
THIS EXACTLY IS WHAT I CAME AWAY WITH WHEN I SAW HIM.

Keep in mind he was with Scott Patchan and other Defensive lineman. Every one around me was like good god who is that. Because Simpson was using him to demonstrate the drills. Dude looked like a bigger Jason Taylor. (with his quickness and agility) I think i came back ont he board to eat crow after seeing that as I was higher on Chatfield at UF when they both came out

Advertisement

Watching Brevin it always looked like he had such a hard time keeping his balance coming out of his breaks. Especially after the catch. Like it was hard for him to keep his stride when catching the ball.

I’m sure if he goes anywhere in the first round it’s not gonna be viewed as a mistake.
Local 3 star kid from a small private school with no big offers goes in the first.
Win win right?

However, imo he would’ve had not problem being a consensus top 10 pick. And with another 10-12 sack year he basically makes an argument to be a top 5 pick.
When you start going top 10 or top 5 it’s a huge money maker. And it’s not only contract money.
A player that everyone says is a top 10 pick starts making money even before the draft.
With social media and so many marketing opportunities a pick that high starts getting attention at a crazy pace.
And if he produces on the field he starts seeing more money from sponsors than on the field.
How much money do you think is being thrown at sunshine or the other players being talked about going too 10?
I didn’t see Artie or Njoku making crazy sponsorship money for being first rounders.

The way I look at it is:

I agree with you - he could've played and killed it this year, and been in the top 5-10 picks. But that's just 1 scenario. Maybe he has a good but not great year, or has nagging injuries, and lands somewhere in the 10-20 range - which is where I think he is now. Maybe he has a bad injury and has to come back another year, or slips into the 2nd/3rd round.

I think playing this year would've been a higher risk/reward choice. More possibility of rising, more possibility of slipping.

By sitting out he probably limited his ceiling, but also limited his floor. Unless he totally botches his workout, I have a hard time seeing him slipping out of the Top 20.

Chase, Parson, Farley, Rousseau - I think it's fair to say they all made a more conservative choice by opting out, but I don't think you can say any of them made "mistakes".

I never understood why Ohio State didn't run Fields more. He is a big kid.

Some designed runs in the NFL would help him with the transition.
Like King he's not that good at making decisions in the zone read game.

In the NFL his rushing will be a big factor in red zone scrambles like Tannehill. He's only decisive about scrambling in the red zone or sometimes on 3rd and short. Between the 20s he likes to sit in the pocket and wait for routes to come open, or buy time to throw downfield. He's more agile and strong than he is straight-line fast.

Lance and Wilson are very good in the designed run game. Lance is just a beast and Wilson is very sudden and quick - efficient at picking up small chunks to stay ahead of the chains. Lawrence looked slow on some of his runs in 2020 but he has the best vision as a runner and at the mesh point. He has build-up speed.

Advertisement
This draft analysis has Greg falling also.

This is what he said on his site.

Pro football network

Ojulari moves into the top 20
Georgia OLB Azeez Ojulari moves into the top 20 in the player rankings of my NFL Draft big board, jumping ahead of Miami’s Gregory Rousseau.

It’s a combination of Ojulari showing great playmaking skills and the ability to impact games in a variety of ways on defense coupled with Rousseau’s inactivity this year based on his decision to opt-out. There is concern among league scouts that Rousseau is a one-trick pony and purely an edge rusher who exploited college-level opponents.

-He has Jaelen Phillips 68th on his big board

-He has Brevin Jordan 98th.

Greg cost himself money not playing this year.

I personally think Jaelen and Brevin cost themselves money also.

I think Phillips could’ve gotten into the first coming back, and if there is no combine that is going to be a big reach for him to get in first imo.

Jordan could’ve come back and possibly gotten into top 60 picks showing he can stay healthy.
it makes perfect sense Rousseau missed freshmen year because of injury, had a great 2019, and sat out this year, tough to spend a top 15 pick on a kid that only played one year of football :

Its all about fit with Brevin. I dont think he is behing Hunter Long though. Its him and the Penn State kid likely duking it out. Who knows what Brevin runs...if he is sub 4.7 he locks in definite top 3 te coming out.

Just in last years te class there were like 3 te's with close to his measurements that went in the 3rd round area. With the Pats drafting two of them that i dont think can hold Brevin's jock. That being said there arent much 6'2-6'3 te's going 1st roung anyway. So he likely like i said was coming back playing for free and possibly moving up 20 spots at most.
Jordan has another intangible going for him UM TE's seemed to thrive in the NFL they rarely bust out

R1 WR Tutu Atwell :raylewis:
Of the 24 WRs I've evaluated for my Dynasty rookie rankings I have him ranked 21st right now.

its a no from me dawg GIF

it makes perfect sense Rousseau missed freshmen year because of injury, had a great 2019, and sat out this year, tough to spend a top 15 pick on a kid that only played one year of football :
Not when he's 6'7 275 and will have incredible pro day numbers.

Film speaks volumes and while I watch both Phillips and Rousseau highlights it's as clear as day to me Greg will be the better DE. They both have potential to be pro-bowlers though.

Advertisement
The only concern I have with Rousseau is something a few draft pundits have pointed out. He doesn’t seem to have the quick twitch that most elite NFL pass rushers have. Doesn’t mean he can’t still be elite, but it does make me question what his pass rush will look like in the league.

Daniel Jeremiah has GR going 14 to the Vikings and Phillips going 16 to the Cardinals. TIFWIW.

Of the 24 WRs I've evaluated for my Dynasty rookie rankings I have him ranked 21st right now.

its a no from me dawg GIF
Jeremiah had'em there.

Pretty comical considering some debates about him on here.

idk where he ends up, but there are players like him in the NFL that succeed as at least solid role players and are drafted all over the spectrum from Day 2 to late Day 3.

Advertisement
Jeremiah had'em there.

idk where he ends up, but there are players like him in the NFL that succeed as at least solid role players and are drafted all over the spectrum from Day 2 to late Day 3.
Not sure why its comical. He’s small but productive in college. The NFL is a different dynamic entire;y/ Miami’s job is to win in college. We’re not supposed to measure ourselves by the pros, but rather by winning games in college. We’re doing it all wrong of we think nfl projections or actualities tells us what we’re supposed to do or not do in college.

Jeremiah had'em there.

I know. I posted that mock here.

I have Tutu projected as a rotational slot in the NFL. He can be the 4th/5th WR for a high-powered spread like Hardman for the Chiefs and McKenzie for the Bills. Insane to put a guy like that in the 1st over legit starter types like Bateman, Wallace or Marshall. As an undersized slot Tutu has no business going before Rondale or Elijah Moore.

It also shows a total lack of understanding about the Packers scheme and roster. They have a satellite back in Tyler Ervin who they used as a motion guy and space player, not a downfield receiver. Their actual WRs need to be bigger guys who can block either tight in-line (Lazard+ESB) or on the perimeter for screens (MVS). I keep seeing people bashing the Packers for not drafting a WR and those people clearly don't understand the way that scheme functions. They're not an offense that just lines up and tries to win 1on1s on the perimeter. The rare times they do try to do that it's with formations that scheme 1on1s for their target hog Adams. A 1st rd WR would've (will be) been as big a waste for them as a 1st rd QB, only without the long-term upside.

Not sure why its comical. He’s small but productive in college. The NFL is a different dynamic entire;y/ Miami’s job is to win in college. We’re not supposed to measure ourselves by the pros, but rather by winning games in college. We’re doing it all wrong of we think nfl projections or actualities tells us what we’re supposed to do or not do in college.
#1 - you have to go back and read the Tutu Atwell threads to understand the comedy, I suppose.
#2 - Its not an either/or scenario. If Miami is really winning, we're producing real NFL talent (not the fringe roster types we've been producing for way too long now that we'll produce regardless of how poorly we perform at the college level). When you see numerous All-Americans and high round NFL draft picks from down the road and they weren't offered by Miami or Miami never had a shot to begin with you're doing it wrong on both ends (college production and pro production)...we havent been getting either right.

#1 - you have to go back and read the Tutu Atwell threads to understand the comedy, I suppose.
#2 - Its not an either/or scenario. If Miami is really winning, we're producing real NFL talent (not the fringe roster types we've been producing for way too long now that we'll produce regardless of how poorly we perform at the college level). When you see numerous All-Americans and high round NFL draft picks from down the road and they weren't offered by Miami or Miami never had a shot to begin with you're doing it wrong on both ends (college production and pro production)...we havent been getting either right.
i have read them.

we discussed him because of how awful our WR evals have been.

if we do our job right we’ll naturally generate nfl talent but the mindset around here is really skewed. our ‘80s teams weren’t loaded with nfl first round picks to the extent the ‘01 team was, and too many fans are too young to remember. i’ll take toretta, walsh or dorsey all day over vinny. I do not agree that the nfl tells us all that much about college priorities.

Advertisement
Back