NFL 2021 Draft

Its all about fit with Brevin. I dont think he is behing Hunter Long though. Its him and the Penn State kid likely duking it out. Who knows what Brevin runs...if he is sub 4.7 he locks in definite top 3 te coming out.

Just in last years te class there were like 3 te's with close to his measurements that went in the 3rd round area. With the Pats drafting two of them that i dont think can hold Brevin's jock. That being said there arent much 6'2-6'3 te's going 1st roung anyway. So he likely like i said was coming back playing for free and possibly moving up 20 spots at most.
idk how many games Freiermuth played this year but I watched his Nebraska tape and it was really bad. I hope he was banged up going into that game cause he looks really slow, doesn't know how to run routes and unlike Long he doesn't do a good job of settling into zones and making himself a friendly target. He has the frame to block but doesn't generate any pop and gets knocked back through his upper body.

Based on that game I'm not optimistic he'll develop into a starter but teams always reach on JAG TEs for no reason.

Advertisement
Agree. They shouldn't overthink this. Rousseau has elite size, moves like a LB, had 15.5 sacks in his only season and is smart with clean character. He will go high and play well.

The caveats and reservations are manufactured to me. It's nitpicky stuff that will look bad in retrospect. He dominated guards because that's where we put him. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

You take productive freaks. Teams nitpicked Derrick Henry. Same with DK Metcalf and Lamar Jackson. In retrospect, it's insane that so many teams missed.

Give me a 6'7 monster with fluidity, COD and bend who is also the most productive pass rusher in the draft by far.

Couldn't agree more.

An athletic specimen with high character, high motor, and has shown to be an elite pass rusher at a young age & every time he's been on the field.

No need to overthink this one.

Advertisement
Overall, this is our best draft class in forever. We have four guys with Pro Bowl potential in Rousseau, Phillips, Jordan and Borregales.

Roche is more of a role player but should find a home on Day 3.
I'm hoping the Chargers draft at least 3 of them lol

Roche can really make money if he does good in the senior bowl
I still think he goes day 2. Pass rushers rarely fall to day 3 unless they have character or injury concerns. It's a premium position so even as an older rotational guy he's still valued.

Advertisement
I’m far from being any sort of football expert, but I predict a lot of you are going to be feeling really dumb come draft time.

I think there’s no way in **** Phillips and Rousseau slide past the first 40 picks.

If there’s a combine I would say that’s a lock. Just my amateur 2 cents

Any draft position below that which he would have attained had he stayed, in my opinion.
This doesn’t make sense. No one knows where he would get drafted if he would have played this season.

That’s purely hypothetical.

Even going early second round seems like he made the right choice IMO

Fields as QB4 as I and others have asserted on here.

Rousseau 14 to Vikes
I'm a big fan of Rousseau and his potential at the next level. He has elite length and surprising pass rush polish despite his limited experience at the position. The Vikings' defense took a big step back last year due to an inability to pressure the quarterback.
This would actually make sense as they need pass rush and like versatile trait dudes who can rush inside.

Phillips 16 to Cards!
Phillips is the most gifted pass rusher in this year's draft. He has an excellent get-off, he can bend at the top of his rush and he is a finisher.
Keiran Lee Reaction GIF

Rousseau 14 to Vikes

This would actually make sense as they need pass rush and like versatile trait dudes who can rush inside.

Phillips 16 to Cards!
He also had Rousseau and Phillips as the top two EDGE prospects off the board.

If it plays out that way, we have a **** of a selling point to Marvin Jones, Jr. and other local DEs.

Advertisement
What's your take on Fields?

I see the slow processing, but my theory is that the game has gotten so much easier for QBs (coaching, weapons, rules) that the QBs with the loudest tools have more of an advantage than ever. Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, Pat Mahomes and Lamar Jackson would be examples. All of those guys had decision-making questions coming out.

Fields would seem to fit in that mold. Great group overall.

Advertisement
At what draft position do you think his decision becomes a mistake? Like, if he goes 15th overall, is that a mistake?
I’m sure if he goes anywhere in the first round it’s not gonna be viewed as a mistake.
Local 3 star kid from a small private school with no big offers goes in the first.
Win win right?

However, imo he would’ve had not problem being a consensus top 10 pick. And with another 10-12 sack year he basically makes an argument to be a top 5 pick.
When you start going top 10 or top 5 it’s a huge money maker. And it’s not only contract money.
A player that everyone says is a top 10 pick starts making money even before the draft.
With social media and so many marketing opportunities a pick that high starts getting attention at a crazy pace.
And if he produces on the field he starts seeing more money from sponsors than on the field.
How much money do you think is being thrown at sunshine or the other players being talked about going too 10?
I didn’t see Artie or Njoku making crazy sponsorship money for being first rounders.

Last edited:
What's your take on Fields?

I see the slow processing, but my theory is that the game has gotten so much easier for QBs (coaching, weapons, rules) that the QBs with the loudest tools have more of an advantage than ever. Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, Pat Mahomes and Lamar Jackson would be examples. All of those guys had decision-making questions coming out.

Fields would seem to fit in that mold. Great group overall.
Allen's issues had more to do with mechanics and accuracy, and he has elite traits vs Fields who has very good arm talent. Allen was prone to egregious mental mistakes trying to do too much and he slowly cut back on those. Fields' issues are more ingrained to me. Yes he's a slow processor but he also just doesn't manage the pocket very well. He's late to react to pressure and rarely has a plan to escape. Sometimes it works cause he's so athletic but in the NFL it will be more problematic. The guy who Fields reminds me of wrt processing and pocket work is Wentz, but Fields has solid lower-body mechanics unlike Wentz.

The best description I saw of Fields is that his best plays are as good or better than any QB in this class, but the down-to-down consistency is worrisome. I think he's a better prospect than Kyler or Baker but he will need great protection to be a quality starter, otherwise his career will play out like a more talented Daniel Jones.

Allen's issues had more to do with mechanics and accuracy, and he has elite traits vs Fields who has very good arm talent. Allen was prone to egregious mental mistakes trying to do too much and he slowly cut back on those. Fields' issues are more ingrained to me. Yes he's a slow processor but he also just doesn't manage the pocket very well. He's late to react to pressure and rarely has a plan to escape. Sometimes it works cause he's so athletic but in the NFL it will be more problematic. The guy who Fields reminds me of wrt processing and pocket work is Wentz, but Fields has solid lower-body mechanics unlike Wentz.

The best description I saw of Fields is that his best plays are as good or better than any QB in this class, but the down-to-down consistency is worrisome. I think he's a better prospect than Kyler or Baker but he will need great protection to be a quality starter, otherwise his career will play out like a more talented Daniel Jones.
I never understood why Ohio State didn't run Fields more. He is a big kid.

Some designed runs in the NFL would help him with the transition.

I don't agree that Phillips cost himself money. I don't think returning should even have been in consideration for him. He'll be 22 shortly after the draft, had major injuries earlier in his career that almost cost him his career, and he showed everything he possibly could on film. Teams who draft him know they're gonna get a guy who plays hard, is physical, and has developing rush moves. Returning to show the same things but better and delay your career by a year is stupid.

Rousseau has far more question marks on tape and you see those brought up every time he's mentioned anywhere. You can talk about his size and enticing traits but I don't see other players listed in the top 20 with so many caveats and reservations. Maybe Fields and Lance but they're QBs. I still think once coaches get involved in the process GR's stock will fall further. Coaches really value run defense and GR struggles at the point of attack. His talent should get him drafted late in the 1st though once the high floor studs are off the board.

Likewise Jordan has 4 things he could do to raise his stock dramatically: stay healthy, create separation in his routes, catch the ball in traffic/away from his frame and block. That's a lot of knocks on a short TE which is why you see him in the 3rd/4th range behind a relatively JAG talent in Hunter Long. I can't argue against it either because at least Long can create separation at the top of the route stem a la Witten and make contested catches.
Pretty spot on.

My personal opinion is that Brevin definitely cost himself money, Rousseau may* have cost himself money but it might be negligible (relatively speaking) and anyone suggesting that Phillips made a mistake is fine with potentially costing him ALL of his money.

Advertisement
Back