NFL 2021 Draft

No issue with Phillips ahead of Rousseau, but Roche ahead of Rousseau? Don't get me wrong, I think Roche is great but I thought Rousseau already looked better than Roche and it seems like Rousseau has more potential as well.
Yeah it speaks to overvaluing traits and skills shown on film in the past. If you evaluate strictly based off the criteria "who was a more impressive edge player in college" than Roche is the answer but GR will be 2 years removed from his last college season, is much younger and accordingly has untapped upside considering his physical traits.

Anyway it's apples to oranges. Even if GR is the 10th best edge rusher in the class he may be the best interior rusher in the class and derive a ton of value from that.

Advertisement

from the most well-regarded evaluator of pass rushers on the internetz

Captain America Laughing GIF by mtv

People going to overthink the whole greg Rousseau draft pick and end up being wrong, stud imo, Is he raw? You **** right he is, played receiver and safety his first 3 years in highschool but he has so much upside. Only going to get better. Phillips should be the first end drafted imo, he’s an elite talent too.

Last edited:
tbh, I don't even really see Rousseau as an EDGE player. I can see how he'd score low on someone's EDGE rankings. I kind of throw him in the same boat as like DeForest Buckner (not comparing them as prospects just how they can be used) Profiles best as an interior guy or a guy that will play "end" in a 34 (provided he adds some weight) If you profile him as an EDGE, idk, I think he'll struggle to produce in the way you want him to produce, especially if you put a lot of capital into him ala Marcus Davenport. He's very usable on the EDGE, just think you get 60 cents on the dollar for him out there.

Advertisement
No issue with Phillips ahead of Rousseau, but Roche ahead of Rousseau? Don't get me wrong, I think Roche is great but I thought Rousseau already looked better than Roche and it seems like Rousseau has more potential as well.
I assume It’s a game film analysis and Roche has more than all 3.
Regardless of how good a year Rousseau had were still talking about one year.
It’s risk vs reward and unless someone needs a defensive end really bad the best player at the time you picks is what a lot of GM’s do because their job literally depends on it.
We love Rousseau more than most cause he’s a cane. But if he for Cal we would be saying “who’s gonna. Pick and end with one year of film and 6 games as a starter in the top 10?

It doesn’t mean he isn’t a top 10 pick but you can understand the hesitancy.

I told everyone if he played one more year he basically guaranteed himself a top 10 pick. Instead he followed his agents advice and it might cost both of them Money.

I told everyone if he played one more year he basically guaranteed himself a top 10 pick. Instead he followed his agents advice and it might cost both of them Money.

Rosseau wouldn't have guaranteed Himself anything.

Shaun Wade was a projected top 10-15 pick before He opted in, now He's not even projected to go in the 1st Rd. anymore.

Advertisement
I DONT SEE BREVIN JORDAN FALLING TO THE 4TH OR 5TH. There isnt enough tight end pass catchers in this draft to push him down that far. He wont make it out the 3rd..unless there are more injury concerns their medical staffs find
Late 3rd is my guess but who knows. NFL teams do weird **** with TEs like drafting blockers in the 2nd (Drew Sample) yet letting an all-around stud like Harrison Bryant last to the 4th. I think Brevin will be the 4th TE off the board either way and it wouldn't shock me if a blocker like Tremble went ahead of him too lol.

I’m not even convinced Rousseau LIKES football. He’s hardly played any snaps, and he chose to sit out.

No doubt he’s athletic... but the NFL is a grind. He hasn’t proven that he can or even wants to put in the time and take a beating for 16+ games a season.

IDK, we’ll see what happens. He’s gifted for sure, you got that part right
Good thing you're not an NFL GM.

Advertisement
People going to overthink the whole greg Rousseau draft pick and end up being wrong, stud imo, Is he raw? You **** right he is, played receiver and safety his first 3 years in highschool but he has so much upside. Only going to get better. Phillips should be the first end drafted imo, he’s an elite talent too.
Im in this camp. The draft is full of risks and i understand playing it safe to a point. However, there ain’t but a few kids a decade with GR’s upside at DE. The real question is what’s really the risk? How much downside is there? If he is okay on the personality profile (willing to do the work), take him all day long. If you think he’s not, don’t. But if you think it’s about his lack of film, imo you’re missing the point.

2018 - Davenport went 14th
Bradley Chubb went 5th overall in 18. The last time was 2012. My point was, one of the two Canes should be off the board before 10, if history holds true. It’s arguably the most coveted position in football after quarterback. An edge rusher that can get after the quarterback and requires a double team has been first pick worthy in the last decade. That can’t be said for very many positions.

Advertisement
Bradley Chubb went 5th overall in 18. The last time was 2012. My point was, one of the two Canes should be off the board before 10, if history holds true. It’s arguably the most coveted position in football after quarterback. An edge rusher that can get after the quarterback and requires a double team has been first pick worthy in the last decade. That can’t be said for very many positions.
Teams reach on pass rushers. I thought Chubb was a reach. Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo. It happens all the time.

This draft is different because it's strong at QB, pass catcher and OT and those are all premium positions. Then Parsons (pending off-field) and CBs are rated higher than the DL guys. I think 1st guy goes in 15-20 range.

People are overthinking Rousseau. The guy got 4 sacks in his first scrimmage and multiple sacks in every scrimmage after that. In his only season, he had 15.5 sacks. He's also a 6'7 monster with bend and change of direction.

The other pass rushers in this draft don't get sacks. Paye and Oweh combined for 2 between them. Rather than making excuses for their lack of production, give me the freak who consistently gets the QB down on the ground.

tbh, I don't even really see Rousseau as an EDGE player. I can see how he'd score low on someone's EDGE rankings. I kind of throw him in the same boat as like DeForest Buckner (not comparing them as prospects just how they can be used) Profiles best as an interior guy or a guy that will play "end" in a 34 (provided he adds some weight) If you profile him as an EDGE, idk, I think he'll struggle to produce in the way you want him to produce, especially if you put a lot of capital into him ala Marcus Davenport. He's very usable on the EDGE, just think you get 60 cents on the dollar for him out there.

Why? What about his skillset makes him an interior guy? He's 6'7 without a Calais Campbell lower body.

The only criticism I've ever heard about his edge work is that he doesn't have elite twitch. OK. He's also the longest player in the draft and plays with the fluidity of a high school DB. That allows him to cover the ground he needs to cover.

The year off allowed people to overthink Rousseau. If he played this season and stayed healthy, he'd be a no-brainer Top 5 guy like Chase Young (the only player who got more sacks than him).

Why? What about his skillset makes him an interior guy? He's 6'7 without a Calais Campbell lower body.

The only criticism I've ever heard about his edge work is that he doesn't have elite twitch. OK. He's also the longest player in the draft and plays with the fluidity of a high school DB. That allows him to cover the ground he needs to cover.

The year off allowed people to overthink Rousseau. If he played this season and stayed healthy, he'd be a no-brainer Top 5 guy like Chase Young (the only player who got more sacks than him).
Its the twitch and he also plays pretty high.

You've seen many of my draft posts...I'm always a WHERE THEY WIN guy. Greg Rousseau wins on the inside. You want him to be a natural EDGE guy, but thats too much projection for me. When he lines up outside, he comes off the snap high without a lot explosion and the twitch combined with - IMO - a lack of elite bend from the edge make me lean toward what my eyes see with him on the interior. On the edge, he comes out without much of a plan of attack, lots of wasted movement, and doesn't exactly have a filled toolbox to make up for the lack explosion/twitch. Even on his sacks where he lined up outside, hes twisting inside to get space against an interior guy. You say hes got DB fluidity, but I see a lot of film where he looks really stiff.

In college, he's long, athletic, and pretty strong for a guy who hasn't fully developed physically yet. His hustle and relentlessness through trash is one of his better characteristics, IMO, and again, that all came from the interior where I thought his run defense was a strength. In the NFL, without a plan of attack and against OTs that are trained to get their hands on you, idk how well Rousseau holds up without a lot of coaching here from the outside. Too much projection and coaching to be an EDGE guy. I think the gap is closer to develop him as a long 34 end.

Advertisement
Back