POSITION
KERWIN
WALTON

6'5" | 195 LBS | SG
HOPKINS
MINNETONKA, MN
CLASS OF 2020
UNDECIDED

Throughout the fall, the belief was that four-star shooting guard Kerwin Walton from the Minneapolis area would commit sometime leading up to the signing period. Well, that hasn't happened and he's not planning on signing in the next seven days he told Rivals.com.

Walton is not short on college interest and rightfully so. Remember, this is the kid that hit 15 3-pointers during a two-game session in Birmingham during the lone July travel ball evaluation period in front of a throng of college coaches. From there, his recruitment soared just like his ranking within the Rivals150.

Walton has already taken official visits to Arizona, Cal, Miami and North Carolina. He is also considering Creighton and the hometown Minnesota bunch. This weekend, he will compete his visit tour when he heads to Nashville and gets a look at Vanderbilt. From there, look for Walton to sit tight for a little longer before going into decision making mode with a commitment likely to be made before the calendar year flips.
-- Evans

Per this article, Kerwin Walton has already officially visited Miami. I am not sure when the visit occurred but Corey Evans is very credible in the recruiting industry.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
His uncle explained that the intention was never to sign early, only for him to commit on his birthday. He did mention that miami probably thought he was signing today tho.

He said they wanna wait because they wanna make sure coach L and his staff are still in place by the time April comes around. Said they love the staff and that they are all Miami, that this is only to make sure everyone is still gonna be here. They don’t wanna go through the process of a waiver.

what reasons are in the article; I assume someone whos posting about it has access; please share. TY.

upd: TY Blim, you posted a nanosecond before me!
P.S> OK all in for Coach L now?

Probably. I don't see why not.
Sign him ASAP. Don't want any change of heart. Actually, the UCF game was on in the DC market (CBS Sports) so I hope Earl watched it. If so, he saw plenty of PT immediately available to him and some exciting young talent he will be playing with.

Advertisement
College basketball recruiting isn't nearly as fickle as football. Not saying a verbal is as good as gold, but more often than not it ends up sticking.

Yes, recruits still decommit for the usual reasons, but one of the biggest factors is often a coaching change.

The info from the article seems to corroborate the above.

8:24 AM: ONE VISIT LEFT FOR FOUR-STAR WALTON

ooed0xjnzf1ojoigvpex

NATIONAL
-
STATE
POSITION
KERWIN
WALTON

6'5" | 195 LBS | SG
HOPKINS
MINNETONKA, MN
CLASS OF 2020
UNDECIDED

Throughout the fall, the belief was that four-star shooting guard Kerwin Walton from the Minneapolis area would commit sometime leading up to the signing period. Well, that hasn't happened and he's not planning on signing in the next seven days he told Rivals.com.

Walton is not short on college interest and rightfully so. Remember, this is the kid that hit 15 3-pointers during a two-game session in Birmingham during the lone July travel ball evaluation period in front of a throng of college coaches. From there, his recruitment soared just like his ranking within the Rivals150.

Walton has already taken official visits to Arizona, Cal, Miami and North Carolina. He is also considering Creighton and the hometown Minnesota bunch. This weekend, he will compete his visit tour when he heads to Nashville and gets a look at Vanderbilt. From there, look for Walton to sit tight for a little longer before going into decision making mode with a commitment likely to be made before the calendar year flips.
-- Evans

Per this article, Kerwin Walton has already officially visited Miami. I am not sure when the visit occurred but Corey Evans is very credible in the recruiting industry.
I don't believe Walton ever visited here.

FWIW, one of the local Minnesota reporters believes that the Timberlake commitment caused Miami to back off on Walton (he gave this commitment as the reason Walton didn't visit here, at least). So Walton may be off the board from our perspective. Not the worst thing in the world - I like Walton, but if there was only going to be one spot, I'd rather have Timberlake of the two. UNC is likely out of it as well, so Walton should be staying out of the ACC.

His uncle explained that the intention was never to sign early, only for him to commit on his birthday. He did mention that miami probably thought he was signing today tho.

He said they wanna wait because they wanna make sure coach L and his staff are still in place by the time April comes around. Said they love the staff and that they are all Miami, that this is only to make sure everyone is still gonna be here. They don’t wanna go through the process of a waiver.
So, that "big" announcement on his birthday really wasn't worth the bother. Spring is a long time away. If we don't make the NCAAT again, would that change his mind?

If wanting to be sure L is staying is indeed the case, it's understandable. Shows a total misread of how things are at Miami, though. I mean, only way L is leaving is by his death, or his own volition.

So, that "big" announcement on his birthday really wasn't worth the bother. Spring is a long time away. If we don't make the NCAAT again, would that change his mind?

If wanting to be sure L is staying is indeed the case, it's understandable. Shows a total misread of how things are at Miami, though. I mean, only way L is leaving is by his death, or his own volition.

you never know in that maybe he steps away to retire.

Advertisement
Back