2020 Recruiting.

Even if we strike out on bigs in this class, taking a non-grad transfer at the end of the year would be fine, if not preferable. We already have 3 Cs next year, we don't need to add a 4th. Any C in this year's class is looking at a redshirt anyway.

Advertisement
Even if we strike out on bigs in this class, taking a non-grad transfer at the end of the year would be fine, if not preferable. We already have 3 Cs next year, we don't need to add a 4th. Any C in this year's class is looking at a redshirt anyway.

We need a big man in this class. I don’t care how he comes, HS Senior or transfer, but we definitely need one.

We need a big man who can play effectively right away, or at least in year two. Not sure this Cardwell kid fits that criteria. Sounds like more of a project than I'd like to see us have to take. Then again, I guess beggars can't be choosers.

We need a big man who can play effectively right away, or at least in year two. Not sure this Cardwell kid fits that criteria. Sounds like more of a project than I'd like to see us have to take. Then again, I guess beggars can't be choosers.

I agree and short of some crazy and unseen development (during Coach L’s tenure here), it is even more important to get someone. I have no idea if Cardwell or any other big man will be ready for 2020-21; with that said we need someone.

Advertisement
Just watched his highlights and I think he would be a good addition to the team. Good timing on blocks and is a good dump off big for the guards to make plays with. If we get him and Nysier next year, our bigs could look scary

Good point. Looking out our potential roster for next season, he would be our 4th center behind Rodney Miller, Nysier Brooks and Deng Gak. I don't know how many minutes he would get as it seems he would do a lot of sitting. Maybe a redshirt year would be more beneficial.

I guess the question is, if Miami adds Earl Timberlake and Andre Curbelo to Matt Cross, who do you make a priority with the last scholarship? Another shooter in Kerwin Walton or a big in Dylan Cardwell.

Just what we need, another Oak Hill big that doesn't play much. Fool me once...

You make a valid point but I did watch a few Oak Hill games last season and I did see Dylan play. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same thing when Rodney Miller was at Oak Hill.

Dylan has transferred from Oak Hill to McEarchen HS in Georgia for his senior season.

Last edited:

Which program will go on the biggest run between now and the early signing period?

Miami could be one program that makes a move as they are in a great spot with Andre Curbelo, could be the landing spot for Earl Timberlake, and will receive a visit from Kerwin Walton in two weeks.

Sounds like a good recruiting class. I think the coaches will close the deal on all 3 soon.

Is Cardwell the same level of big man project that Jekiri and Izundu were coming out of HS? Higher or lower upside in your estimation.

Advertisement
Is Cardwell the same level of big man project that Jekiri and Izundu were coming out of HS? Higher or lower upside in your estimation.

He is ahead of them as a senior in his skillset but he will still need to develop. He can dunk, rebound and block shots but he has no jump shot or low post game. Part of the problem is going to be how much Coach L plays him early in his career. Tonye and Ebuka sat the bench for two years without any significant playing time.

He is ahead of them as a senior in his skillset but he will still need to develop. He can dunk, rebound and block shots but he has no jump shot or low post game. Part of the problem is going to be how much Coach L plays him early in his career. Tonye and Ebuka sat the bench for two years without any significant playing time.
Maybe my question should have been: How does Cardwell compare with R. Miller at the same stage of career?

Advertisement
Maybe my question should have been: How does Cardwell compare with R. Miller at the same stage of career?

He is ahead of Rodney Miller but Rodney Miller should not be the base of any comparison. Rodney is a good kid but his contribution on-court to the basketball team has been mishandled by the coaching staff from the day he enrolled.

The coaches have really put all their frontcourt eggs this season in the Rodney Miller basket for some unknown reason, which is a mystery.

I hope we’re considering other prospects in this class. I’d like to hear we’re bringing in more kids for OVs.

Advertisement
I hope we’re considering other prospects in this class. I’d like to hear we’re bringing in more kids for OVs.

I am sure they will but technically, they only have 3 scholarships left. I still expect Earl Timberlake and Andre Curbelo to commit to Miami and that will leave one scholarship left.

I have read Kerwin Walton (SG) will take an official to Miami in November. I actually think he will commit to Miami because I think Puff Johnson will commit to Carolina so Walton will fall to Miami. That would fill all of the scholarships for the 2020 recruiting class.

If Miami holds any more official visitors then it would mean one of those three did not commit. Dylan Cardwell and Cliff Omoruyi still have interest in Miami but Miami could be out of scholarships soon. Which I am fine with.

Unfortunately, some how. The Nysier Brooks sit out scholarship this season has impacted 2020 recruiting more than people realize.

I am sure they will but technically, they only have 3 scholarships left. I still expect Earl Timberlake and Andre Curbelo to commit to Miami and that will leave one scholarship left.

I have read Kerwin Walton (SG) will take an official to Miami in November. I actually think he will commit to Miami because I think Puff Johnson will commit to Carolina so Walton will fall to Miami. That would fill all of the scholarships for the 2020 recruiting class.

If Miami holds any more official visitors then it would mean one of those three did not commit. Dylan Cardwell and Cliff Omoruyi still have interest in Miami but Miami could be out of scholarships soon. Which I am fine with.

We should have (at least) 8-10 targets for those 3 scholarships.

We should have (at least) 8-10 targets for those 3 scholarships.

I agree with that but as you get commitments, that number does change. At this point, I would expect the staff to be more aggressive in their pursuit of Earl Timberlake and Andre Curbelo. That would ease a lot of the tension around recruiting right now.

In fairness, Lance Ware, John Hugley and Scottie Barnes cancelled visits and committed elsewhere so Miami was on pace to have 10 official visitors. They have already had 5 so far.

Kerwin Walton, Dylan Cardwell and Cliff Omoruyi are all players who will officially visit at some point so Miami will be at the 8-10 official visitor number this season unless three guys commit before National Signing Day.

He is ahead of Rodney Miller but Rodney Miller should not be the base of any comparison. Rodney is a good kid but his contribution on-court to the basketball team has been mishandled by the coaching staff from the day he enrolled.

The coaches have really put all their frontcourt eggs this season in the Rodney Miller basket for some unknown reason, which is a mystery.
That's all true in hindsight. But ... IIRC, Miller was rated pretty highly at Oak Hill.

Advertisement
Back