2020 Recruiting.

Advertisement

The coaching staff has visited Walton but he has not set a date for an official visit. Timberlake and Curbelo remain our best options for commitments at this point.

Advertisement
Because NBA players workout in Miami? LOL what does that have to do with the quality of player we get here or quality of coaches?

Absolutely nothing directly. It is for promotional use only. My point is that Miami should be doing a lot better in basketball given the fact that it is in an NBA city, playing in a Power 5 conference (maybe the best college basketball conference) in a state full of D-1 basketball players. My expectations are just higher than most fans, I guess.

Absolutely nothing directly. It is for promotional use only. My point is that Miami should be doing a lot better in basketball given the fact that it is in an NBA city, playing in a Power 5 conference (maybe the best college basketball conference) in a state full of D-1 basketball players. My expectations are just higher than most fans, I guess.
I agree that we should be doing better and getting a better quality of recruit as well. You didn't even mention the weather. Maybe that's a big selling pint L uses and why he focuses so heavily on the northeast.

I agree that we should be doing better and getting a better quality of recruit as well. You didn't even mention the weather. Maybe that's a big selling pint L uses and why he focuses so heavily on the northeast.

Probably so as that makes a lot of sense. He should sell staying home to more in-state kids, IMO. Miami needs to have more in-state kids on the roster.

In fairness, Coach L has been at Miami for 9 years now. Recruiting should not be so heavily dependent on transfers and out of state kids.

Advertisement
Again who cares where the recruits come from? If they come from Florida great, if they don't great.

The coaching staff has visited Walton but he has not set a date for an official visit. Timberlake and Curbelo remain our best options for commitments at this point.

Find it interesting that given all the talk about Walton back in July that he wanted to stay somewhat close to home, his five official visits will be to places far away from Minnesota (Arizona, Cal, Texas, UNC, Miami).

Find it interesting that given all the talk about Walton back in July that he wanted to stay somewhat close to home, his five official visits will be to places far away from Minnesota (Arizona, Cal, Texas, UNC, Miami).

“Home” is where you make it.

It's a big reason why Rick Barry (still our one and only College and NBA Hall of Famer) came to UM from Roselle Park, NJ.

Advertisement

Thanks for the information. That is a very interesting group. I read the same thing about his desire to be close to home so I figured he would go to Minnesota or Creighton. Once he visits Miami officially then you have to think Miami has a good chance. UNC would be our biggest competition. I know Puff Johnson is going to visit Carolina also so Carolina may be choosing between Puff and Kerwin.

Recruiting is so fluid and things change.

Matt Cross (committed), Andre Curbelo (Miami is the favorite), Earl Timberlake (Miami is the favorite) and Kerwin Walton (Miami official visit in November).

When those four commit (sign NLI) and this becomes the 2020 recruiting class then everyone should be very happy. Miami will add two shooters and two playmakers to the roster and add depth to the roster. It would be the first time in a long time that Miami has 13 scholarship players on the roster.

The coaching staff is doing a good job with recruiting, it just takes longer than most fans expect and realize.

Lastly, Kerwin Walton will be on hand before he visits Miami and North Carolina the following two weekends. He has visited Arizona, Creighton, Iowa State and Minnesota in recent weeks and is likely to sign next month.

Per the article, it sounds like Kerwin will be visiting Miami next weekend followed by his trip to Carolina.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back