2020 Recruiting.

That's all true in hindsight. But ... IIRC, Miller was rated pretty highly at Oak Hill.

7 footers are normally overrated by those scouting services. It is almost like 7 feet gets your 3 stars and if you can dunk, you get a fourth star.

Advertisement
I agree with that but as you get commitments, that number does change. At this point, I would expect the staff to be more aggressive in their pursuit of Earl Timberlake and Andre Curbelo. That would ease a lot of the tension around recruiting right now.

In fairness, Lance Ware, John Hugley and Scottie Barnes cancelled visits and committed elsewhere so Miami was on pace to have 10 official visitors. They have already had 5 so far.

Kerwin Walton, Dylan Cardwell and Cliff Omoruyi are all players who will officially visit at some point so Miami will be at the 8-10 official visitor number this season unless three guys commit before National Signing Day.

We don’t have commits. You can decrease targets when you actually have commits.

Still not so sure that Miller and Waardenburg will both be back in 2020. RS Juniors who could possibly have their degrees and be grad transfer prospects for some other school after this season.

We don’t have commits. You can decrease targets when you actually have commits.

You make a valid point. This is the tension that comes with recruiting. Waiting on an announcement from a prospect. I would think the coaching staff feesl pretty good with where they stand with Timberlake and Curbelo but they still need to make more visits with them. Earl commits on November 8th and National Signing Day is November 15 so we should know more by then.

I see you enjoy waiting as much as I do. LOL.

Still not so sure that Miller and Waardenburg will both be back in 2020. RS Juniors who could possibly have their degrees and be grad transfer prospects for some other school after this season.

Given their production on court at Miami, it is a guarantee they will be back next season. It is more likely the Chris Lykes and/or Kam McGusty will turn pro. I actually think they will test the draft waters (enter the draft and exit the draft process in May) to get information on where they stand in the eyes of NBA personal.

Advertisement

Waardenburg was a December enrollee, so theoretically he'll graduate in December of 2020 (assuming he takes 4 years to graduate). Can't really grad transfer in the middle of the season.

Personally, unless they improve drastically, I'd be happy to wish them bon voyage. However, hard to think of where they'd have more opportunity than here. We're hardly setting the recruiting world on fire at the 4/5 positions.

Advertisement
You make a valid point. This is the tension that comes with recruiting. Waiting on an announcement from a prospect. I would think the coaching staff feesl pretty good with where they stand with Timberlake and Curbelo but they still need to make more visits with them. Earl commits on November 8th and National Signing Day is November 15 so we should know more by then.

I see you enjoy waiting as much as I do. LOL.

Curbelo now has 8 crystal balls, all of them for Illinois. He visited Illinois last weekend, and all 8 of the crystal balls came after the visit.

What do you make of this?

Curbelo now has 8 crystal balls, all of them for Illinois. He visited Illinois last weekend, and all 8 of the crystal balls came after the visit.

Cancelling his visit to Oregon. He committed to Illinois on Sunday. It will be public within a week.

Last edited:
Cancelling his visit to Oregon. He committed to Illinois on Sunday. It will be public within a week.

I am curious if you will be posting here in the future. What a creative handle!!!!

Advertisement

It did occur after the Illinois visit so it is possible he could have committed to Illinois or he could be tired of the recruiting process.. He could feel comfortable with Miami or Illinois. Miami still has a geographical advantage for his family to come him play games. Who really knows until he commits?

At this point, it is up the to coaches to make him a priority. It is hard for me to imagine how you could not sell Miami to a Puerto Rican kid given Miami's heavy Latin culture and it's close proximity to Puerto Rico. Along with the fact that Miami will be playing in the Puerto Rican Shootout sometime within his four years in school. Plus, he would be the only true point guard on the roster and there is playing time for him.

Illinois is probably selling him their starting PG will turn pro and he will start immediately. Adam Miller is still the priority guard for them so it is still questionable where he commits.

Again, it comes down to what and how the coaches are selling the Miami program.

Advertisement

Let's put this in perspective. Arizona State is literally flying across country for a kid who is not taking any visits until March 2020. Miami has not visited him recently and Miami has two priority recruits (Earl Timberlake and Andre Curbelo) who I have not read where they have visited them in the last few weeks.

Recruiting is about relationships, road trips and making kids feel like a priority. It takes a lot of work. If you are not doing these things, crystal balls will always move to other schools.

Not much in the way of good news since the Cross commitment.

Definitely don’t want to finish out the class with swings and misses.

If you can elaborate, why did he choose Illinois over Miami?
My guess is he "connected" more with Orlando Antigua at Illinois than with our coaches. Maybe meaningful PT was also a factor, what with our being so guard-heavy.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back