2020 Recruiting.

I am glad to see this. This means he is being made a priority. They should kill two birds with one stone (trip) and visit Cliff Omoruyi while they are there.

I think it's this point it's either Lane or we're getting none of Lane, Timberlake, and Walton. These next couple weeks will mean a lot for the future of the program. Exciting yet stressful times.

Advertisement
I think it's this point it's either Lane or we're getting none of Lane, Timberlake, and Walton. These next couple weeks will mean a lot for the future of the program. Exciting yet stressful times.

I agree with you to a point. Similar to Matt Cross, who plays with Team BABC (same program that produced Bruce Brown for Miami), Lane played for Team Final (which produced Jaquan Newton and Lonnie Walker for Miami). Earl Timberlake is from the DMV and Miami recruits well in that area. Timberlake's recruitment reminds me of Bruce Brown in 2015 where no one seems to have a clue of where he is going. Great for Miami. Timberlake seems to be a James Harden fan from his twitter account post so maybe Miami being an Adidas school helps. I always thought Walton would stay in Minnesota but that could change if he comes for an official visit.

With all that said, you are right. It all means nothing without a commitment and signed LOI. Exciting yet stressful is a great way to describe it. LOL.

Advertisement

Miami: “I liked it (official visit), I liked it a lot. I really enjoyed myself. The campus is actually nicer than I had expected because I had been down there before like in the eighth grader, I was passing through Miami, but I had only seen half of it. Whenever I went down there again, the campus was much better than I had expected and I really liked Coach L (Jim Larranaga).”

The coaching staff has done a great job of making him a priority and I think their hard work will pay off with a commitment from him.

RECRUITING NOTE: Deivon Smith update

ygfnlevdkcwvbvuinvhf

NATIONAL
-
STATE
POSITION
DEIVON
SMITH

6'0" | 165 LBS | PG
GRAYSON
LOGANVILLE, GA
CLASS OF 2020
UNDECIDED

Deivon Smith became a hot commodity during his junior season at Grayson High School, and his stock only rose this summer playing for the Atlanta Celtics. He racked up offers from all over the country, and he’s starting to trim down that list and take his official visits.

Louisville took the first shot at him in early September, followed by a trip to NC State the next weekend. He heads to Mississippi State this weekend, with Miami getting him on campus next weekend. Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech and Ole Miss are some of the other schools still in the mix for him.

Cross NC State off the list of likely landing spots, as the Wolfpack took a commitment from Cam Hayes. Beyond that, the other three schools getting official visits should all be considered legitimate threats to sign Smith in November. It wouldn’t be a huge surprise for him to take a fifth official visit, but an educated guess would be chooses from the schools who have already scheduled visits or hosted him already.

Originally, I thought Georgia but he has not visited them "officially" so Louisville is still probably the favorite at this point.

Advertisement

It is good to know that a trip to Puerto Rico is in the recruiting budget. I hope the staff have Andre speak with Angel Rodriguez about playing at Miami as a Puerto Rican. Miami has a huge geographical and cultural advantage compared to all other schools with him.

First posted by CTCane.

Excited but confused. I like Cliff a lot and I think he would be a great pickup for Miami. Easily, the best big since Dewan committed to Miami in 2016. However, John Hugley was suppose to visit Miami this past weekend and I have not read where that occurred and that information was taken down from insidetheu.com. If anyone has any information on that, please post it.

Source of confusion. Remember, the reason why Rodney Miller redshirted last season per Coach L was the fact that he would be 3rd string at the 5 behind Dewan and Ebuka with limited playing time. Let's be positive and say Cliff commits to Miami then there will be another logjam at the 5 without a redshirt option in the 2020-21 season. Miami would have Rodney (redshirt used), Deng Gak (redshirt used), Nysier Brooks (sit-out transfer so redshirt is not available) and Cliff (too good to redshirt). It would be hard to sell Cliff on redshirting when everyone else is selling immediate playing time.

The only logical reasoning behind recruiting Cliff is that Nysier has applied for the waiver and gotten it to play this season. That would help Miami both this season and next season. Miami would have good depth at the 5 this season with Rodney, Nysier and Deng. Plus, they would have a scholarship for Cliff in the 2020-21 season without a logjam. Rodney, Deng and Cliff would be the three options at the 5 for Miami.

Maybe I am overthinking but I am trying to follow along with the recruiting information as I get it. What do you think?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Do any of our current staff speak Spanish? If not, maybe the next opening should be filled with a fluent coach. Not only a help with the Carribean recruits but Spain as well. Lotta talent in Spain (and it's much closer than Australia).

Gonzaga and Davidson are two programs that rely VERY heavily on foreign recruits. Bob McKillop at Davidson always makes the NCAAT and usually goes farther than a school like that should have a right to. His current lineup (which should win 25 games again) features talent from Iceland, England, Austria, Sweden, South Korea and Denmark. The kid from Iceland might be the A10 POY.

Advertisement
Recruiting Strategy: 3 scholarships left (2 more possible) for the 2020-21 season.

With Matt Cross already committed, hopefully Miami will add Niels Lane, Earl Timberlake and Andre Curbelo then we as fans can argue over which class is the best over the past 5 seasons. No one will vote for the 2018 class for good reason. Those four would be a really good class and they could become a great class depending on the team's success while they are in school.

If we find out Nysier Brooks got his waiver then Miami would have a fifth scholarship available. Some of you would prefer to hold the scholarship for a transfer. I am not in that group. I would prefer Miami attempt to get Cliff Omoruyi to commit to add depth (upgrade) the 5 position.

Let's say Miami exceeds most peoples expectations and wins 20 plus games. Some people think 18 wins and the NIT would be a good year but I am not in that group. If Miami wins 20 plus games then that would probably mean they outscored most teams on the schedule and they were lead by Chris Lykes and Kam McGusty. If Lykes and McGusty average over 15 points per game each then I fully expect them to declare for the 2019 NBA Draft and at least go through the draft process. Do I expect both of them to turn pro? NO. Who is more likely to turn pro? McGusty easily. His skillset translates well to the NBA and technically, he is four years removed from high school so he should be ready to make that jump to the NBA. Especially, if he gets a 1st round grade then he should definitely turn pro. Lykes would have to have close to a 4 to 1 assist to turnover ratio along with his 15 points per game to gain serious NBA interest but most scouts (especially the lazy ones) will say he is too short. At this point, height is not the biggest issue for Lykes, it is his decision making ability that raises questions.

Hypothetically and this is long range forecasting but if McGusty does turn pro then again, some fans will say use the scholarship on a transfer. Again, I am not in that group. Scottie Barnes has stated that he will not commit until the Spring of 2019. That would be great for Miami. It would be easier and more attractive for Scottie to commit to Miami after Miami has had a good season, made the NCAA tournament and they are bringing in a very talented recruiting class. Granted, Scottie will only be in school for one year, it would be well worth it for the perception of Miami basketball. This is a more favorable situation for Scottie compared to Vernon Carey Jr. Vernon was asked to commit to Miami during or after a losing season without making any postseason tournament with a decent recruiting class (now we know Wong, Beverly and Walker will be pretty good this season). That would have taken more guts than very few adults have much less than an 18 year old. Committing to Miami under these circumstances would make Scottie a hero and the most talented player on a very talented team with some very high expectations. Easily, if all of this were to happen, Miami would be a top ten team in the 2020-21 season. Very easily.

So Miami will definitely add 4 good players to the roster for next season but that number can easily change to 5 or 6 depending on how the season goes. It is a stretch but you have to cover all of your options. Of course, if all else fails, grab a grad transfer and let's try again in the 2021 recruiting cycle.

Advertisement
Back