2020 Recruiting.

Advertisement

I am 100% sure he will not pick Miami nor will he visit on September 27th so I guess that is why Deivon Smith is visiting Miami on September 28th.

Ware visited Michigan and Ohio State but it seems he is being pushed to Kentucky similar to how Immanuel Quickley was pushed to Kentucky in 2018. Kentucky has not worked out for Immanuel so far and Ware could be headed for a similar situation. I am not wishing anything bad on him but Kentucky is very overrated.

Last edited:

I am 100% sure he will not pick Miami nor will he visit on September 27th so I guess that is why Deivon Smith is visiting Miami on September 28th.

Ware visited Michigan and Ohio State but it seems he is being pushed to Kentucky similar to how Immanuel Quickley was pushed to Kentucky in 2018. Kentucky has not worked out for Immanuel so far and Ware could be headed for a similar situation. I am not wishing anything bad on him but Kentucky is very overrated.

Don’t think one has to do with the other. Smith or Curbelo will get that PG spot if they want it and I believe they will take whoever wants in first.

Don’t think one has to do with the other. Smith or Curbelo will get that PG spot if they want it and I believe they will take whoever wants in first.

I apologize. Just to clarify, since Ware probably will not be coming that weekend. It is good they found another recruit to have on campus for a visit.

You are correct, Ware and Smith are not directly connected. If Ware commits elsewhere then Cross is probably perceived more as a 4 stretch to start his career until he proves he is a small forward.

Miami is coming hard for the play-making guard from Puerto Rico, and Larranaga met with him in the morning.

“Yes, I met with him and we talked a little bit,” Curbelo said. “We’re just catching up. He likes me a lot. He thinks that could be a good fit because of the Puerto Rican population [in Miami], the Latin population, and the way they play he thinks is going to fit. Warm weather, they got basically everything, so he thinks that could be a good fit for me.”

He added: “I like that, everything sounds good. Miami is a good program, it sounds good. Whatever he’s saying sounds good. I’m still figuring things out, I haven’t made any decisions yet. But yeah, it sounds amazing, who wouldn’t like that? It sounds like a good plan. Me and coach Jay David, we’re still figuring things out.”

Miami already has Isaiah Wong in the backcourt, but “[Larranaga] is just telling me what I could bring to the table. Obviously, I gotta earn my position. Wherever I’m going, I’m ready to go. I definitely gotta fight for the position.”

I am glad to see Miami has made him a priority. An official visit is the next step. Coach L is selling everything to him that he should be selling. Hopefully, Andre will be buying. With his family living in Puerto Rico, Miami should be the easy pick. IMO.

Advertisement

Florida went four deep with head coach Mike White and three assistants and met with Lane at Roselle Catholic, while Miami coach Jim Larranaga and assistant Adam Fisher also met with him at the school. Lane is coming off an official visit to Florida last weekend and trips to Miami Thursday ahead of his Texas visit the following weekend.

“[Florida] reiterated their interest from Sunday at the conclusion of the visit and [their] calls on Monday,” Rod Lane, Niels’ father, said. “Just that he’s a priority,. They love his versatility and feel he will be a great fit. They will be back next week with Coach White and three assistants.”

As for Miami’s message: “Pretty much the same as Florida’s. They came up to show support, and reiterate how much they want to coach him. They have a great visit planned and can’t wait to get him on campus. He’s exactly what they’re looking for and his versatility is what sets him apart.”

Interesting that they went full staff for him and not for Lane or Timberlake. However, Lane and Timberlake will be on campus tomorrow for their official visit so I am sure they will be full staff this weekend.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Great article by strauzer, Josh Da Cane and to everyone on this thread for doing a great job with keeping up to date on Canes basketball recruiting.

I wish someone could ask Coach L and find out the answer to the 6 million dollar question, which is....Did Nysier Brooks apply for a waiver to be eligible this season since it seems the NCAA are giving waivers for transfers due to coaching changes?

I could be wrong but I feel it would be more beneficial to Miami and Nysier Brooks if Nysier played this season, especially considering Deng Gak and Keith Stone are not yet cleared for contact and they may not be until December and January respectively (one full year from the time of their knee injuries). I really don't like the idea of Rodney Miller being the only active center on the roster as it reminds me of last season. Plus, Miami needs that scholarship for the 2020 recruiting class. There is more known playing time for Brooks this season behind healthy Miller and retuning from injury Gak compared to next seaons (2020-21) when all three are healthy with a possibility of also having Clifford Omoruyi on the roster.

I know Miami has a good history of building the team through transfers but the program has advanced enough to where transfers should not be the first option for upgrading the roster, it should be and needs to become incoming freshman. Sit-out transfers needs to be the third option behind incoming freshmand and grad transfers in terms of building the roster. I would prefer to have Neils Lane, Earl Timberlake, Andre Curbelo and Cliff Omoruyi with Matt Cross compared to a sit -out transfer who could potentially get kicked off the team in October before he is going to suit up for the Canes. Let's hope Kam McGusty breaks that streak. So far so good but we have to make it through October.

Also, hypothetically, if Lane and Timberlake want to commit this weekend, who really thinks that is a good idea to say no because we want to hold the scholarship for a transfer that we don't know who that is at this moment? For example, would you say no to Lane or Timberlake for another Miles Wilson or Michael Gilmore situation? I sure would not.

Brooks needs to get the waiver (atleast apply for it) and play this season as we don't know how effective (or healthy) Gak or Stone will be when they return. At this point, Brooks is healthier than both Gak and Stone. I would rather have and not need then need and not have. Unfortunately, last season was a prime example of needing and not having. Not unless there is some NCAA rule where a school cannot get a player waiver in back to back seasons. Remember, Anthony Mack got a waiver for last season. Maybe that is the reason. I am only guessing at this point.

I apologize. Let's get back to talking about recruiting. Thank you for reading my rant but I hope you get the point.

3. MIAMI

nrix1gnlbkzajsbunlje

NATIONAL
-
STATE
POSITION
EARL
TIMBERLAKE

6'5" | 205 LBS | SF
DEMATHA
HYATTSVILLE, MD
CLASS OF 2020
UNDECIDED

Miami got the ball rolling earlier this month, thanks to the commitment of Matt Cross. The four-star forward should answer many of the Hurricanes' pressing issues in the frontcourt, but questions remain in the backcourt, which is why Niels Lane and Earl Timberlake have remained priorities for Jim Larranaga’s program. Each descend upon campus this weekend and each would be tremendous additions.

Lane just visited Florida last week and will be off to Texas for his final official visit next weekend. A commitment is not too far off, as Miami attempts to gain ground with the ever-improving guard. Timberlake remains a guessing game, as six are vying for his commitment. Visits are still scheduled for North Carolina and Seton Hall for the coming weeks, while Pitt, Providence and South Carolina remain involved. Could Larranaga strike magic again in his old stomping grounds in the nation’s capital with the DMV native? Time will tell, but this is definitely a vital weekend for the Hurricanes.

Easily the biggest basketball recruiting weekend so far. It is absolutely a "prisoner of the moment" statement but completely true.

Advertisement
Any news on the visit today and how its going with Lane and Timberlake? Crystal ball form anyone who has been following closely and is in the know?

Late reply but saw on Rodney Miller's IG story that Lane was at the UM Football game with Anthony Walker and Rodney. He looked like he was having a good time, and the game went really well for UM as they won 63-0. The fan turnout wasn't too huge, but UM is a much smaller school than some of the other football powerhouses.

Late reply but saw on Rodney Miller's IG story that Lane was at the UM Football game with Anthony Walker and Rodney. He looked like he was having a good time, and the game went really well for UM as they won 63-0. The fan turnout wasn't too huge, but UM is a much smaller school than some of the other football powerhouses.
Thanks for that good news.

Announced attendance was over 52,000 but several in attendance said it looked like 35-40,000 actually showed. Surely the kidz know it's hard to get a big turnout for Bethune and 35-40,000 actually not too bad, maybe, after a "delicate" first 2 games.

Thanks for that good news.

Announced attendance was over 52,000 but several in attendance said it looked like 35-40,000 actually showed. Surely the kidz know it's hard to get a big turnout for Bethune and 35-40,000 actually not too bad, maybe, after a "delicate" first 2 games.
That's the usual discrepancy in all large stadiums where there is nothing near a sellout. When Pitt says they have 60,000 at Heinz Field, its more like 40K. UCLA might claim 50K in the Rose Bowl when there's half that number. Or, when we claim the BUC is sold out for all games but 4000 is a good, actual crowd for a non-marquee game.

Advertisement
Back