2020 Recruiting.

Advertisement
Deivon Smith got 2 crystal balls to Louisville the day before he goes on his OV there

Actually and I am being completely honest. IMO, that is a good thing and I hope he commits to another school. It is nothing personal but the kid is a scoring point guard. In fairness to him, I have seen this play out before with Jaquan Newton and now Chris Lykes. Both came to Miami as scoring point guards and after each one completed their sophomore year, Coach L wants them to work on being traditional pass first point guards. I am not saying Coach L is wrong, I saying that switch is easier said than done. Jaquan never made the switch and Chris is TBD.

In fairness, if Coach L wants a traditional point guard, Andre Curbelo would be better for Miami than Devion Smith. Personally, I think Devion ends up at Georgia.

Just being honest.

Actually and I am being completely honest. IMO, that is a good thing and I hope he commits to another school. It is nothing personal but the kid is a scoring point guard. In fairness to him, I have seen this play out before with Jaquan Newton and now Chris Lykes. Both came to Miami as scoring point guards and after each one completed their sophomore year, Coach L wants them to work on being traditional pass first point guards. I am not saying Coach L is wrong, I saying that switch is easier said than done. Jaquan never made the switch and Chris is TBD.

In fairness, if Coach L wants a traditional point guard, Andre Curbelo would be better for Miami than Devion Smith. Personally, I think Devion ends up at Georgia.

Just being honest.

I agree spot on. Let Andre Curbelo be the facilitator -and - Scottie Barnes be the scoring. These 2 we must get!

Advertisement

Given that his family is still in Puerto Rico, that gives Miami a geographical and a cultural advantage. He has over 30 offers but only 17 schools stay in regular contact. Let's hope Miami is one of the 17 in regular contact. He is the perfect point guard for our team. IMO.

Last edited:
Are we in it for Puff Johnson @Da_Lucky_One

Yes. I think he goes to Arizona. North Carolina has a small chance but it is Arizona.

In fairness, I don't think he is better than Earl Timberlake so if Miami gets Earl Timberlake, no one should be mad.

P.S. I am not an expert so of course, I could be wrong. Let's see what happens but I would be shocked if he visited Miami much less commits.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Today is a very important day on the recruiting calendar as coaches can visit recruits and make in-home visits. Let's see who Miami visits and we will get a better idea who Miami is making a priority in this class.

Reading between the lines (maybe I am right or maybe I am wrong).

It is extremely interesting that Miami is recruiting another center given the players on the roster. Actually, I am happy because they do need to upgrad the talent at the center position.

Last season, Rodney Miller redshirted because he was the third string center behind Dewan Hernandez and Ebuka Izundu with Deng Gak and Sam Wardeenburg playing the power forward/stretch forward spot. Redshirting Rodney Miller was overdue but last season ended up being bad timing.

Fast forward to next season, if Cliff Omoruyi commits and Nysier Brooks sits out this season (2019-2020) then Miami will have the same issue with no one able to redshirt except Cliff, who is already a better player than Rodney Miller and Nysier Brooks.

In 2020-2021 under that scenario, Miami would have Rodney Miller (redshirt senior), Nysier Brooks (sit out transfer senior) and Cliff Omoruyi (freshman) with Deng Gak (redshirt junior), Sam Wardeenburg (redshirt senior) and Anthony Walker. Great depth but an obvious lack of minutes. Especially for a head coach who loves to play older players but the freshman is better than those older players.

This is another example of roster management and it is another example why Nysier Brooks needs to get a waiver to play this season (2019-20).

Last week, most of were wondering if Matt Cross is a small forward or a stretch 4. I think future commits will let us know.

If Miami gets a commitment from Neils Lane, Earl Timberlake (SF) and Cliff Omoruyi then you would say Matt Cross plays the stretch 4 with that group and some small forward if he is on the floor with Sam Wardeenburg or Anthony Walker.

If Miami gets a commitment from Neils Lane, Lance Ware (PF) and Cliff Omoruyi then he would be the small forward with that group.

There are a lot of dominoes left to fall but atleast we have an idea of where 2020 recruiting is going.

Advertisement

I have watched Deivon Smith play and he is a good player. His height (5'11) says point guard but the video says shooting guard.

Watch and let me know what you think?

Last week, most of were wondering if Matt Cross is a small forward or a stretch 4. I think future commits will let us know.

If Miami gets a commitment from Neils Lane, Earl Timberlake (SF) and Cliff Omoruyi then you would say Matt Cross plays the stretch 4 with that group and some small forward if he is on the floor with Sam Wardeenburg or Anthony Walker.

If Miami gets a commitment from Neils Lane, Lance Ware (PF) and Cliff Omoruyi then he would be the small forward with that group.

There are a lot of dominoes left to fall but atleast we have an idea of where 2020 recruiting is going.

I think Wong and Beverly will be a great backcourt in the near future with Lykes/DJ/McGusty being the 1/2/3 for now. I think Walker is a fairly similar player to Cross in that he doesn't have a defined position. I saw Walker the other day and he's huge, around 6'9" now I would think as he was walking with Sam and was almost at the same height, and could easily be a 4, maybe be a 3 if his handles are there, or maybe be a small ball 5 if he puts on weight in the coming years. Him and Cross would be the forwards of the future, but securing a solid SF and a C is super important. I think both Lane and Cliff would be the pieces needed to make this a monster team in the coming years. Ware I'm not completely sold on, but would definitely take him on. One of Lane/Timberlake is a must imo and if not Cliff we need to at least get Hughley.

I have watched Deivon Smith play and he is a good player. His height (5'11) says point guard but the video says shooting guard.

Watch and let me know what you think?

I don't know if they purposefully minimized his passing in the video, but if the team he ends up on wants to be successful they need to pair him with a guard who can make plays. He's super athletic but I don't see him being a scoring threat on the level of someone like Lykes. He also doesn't have a great build and didn't look to be an effort player on defense. Overhyped guard that won't live up to ranking imo, most of his offense comes through transition.

Advertisement
I think Wong and Beverly will be a great backcourt in the near future with Lykes/DJ/McGusty being the 1/2/3 for now. I think Walker is a fairly similar player to Cross in that he doesn't have a defined position. I saw Walker the other day and he's huge, around 6'9" now I would think as he was walking with Sam and was almost at the same height, and could easily be a 4, maybe be a 3 if his handles are there, or maybe be a small ball 5 if he puts on weight in the coming years. Him and Cross would be the forwards of the future, but securing a solid SF and a C is super important. I think both Lane and Cliff would be the pieces needed to make this a monster team in the coming years. Ware I'm not completely sold on, but would definitely take him on. One of Lane/Timberlake is a must imo and if not Cliff we need to at least get Hughley.

You make some good points. I agree with you about Wong and Beverly. Adding Lane and Timberlake would be beneficial especially if McGusty has a good year and turns pro. I would not be mad if that happened at all. I like the idea of Walker and Cross being our forwards because Coach L always talks about positionless basketball. Thanks for the inside information about Walker being closer to 6'9. I will not ask how you got it, LOL. Walker is a better player than most people realize.

Cliff at the 5 would definitely make Miami a "Final Four" team in a year or two as he rebounds and blocks shots at a high level. Depth would be a key as his aggression will probably get him in foul trouble. He is completely different from Hughley as Hughley is a much better offensive player.

Miami definitely needs that fifth scholarship for the 2020 recruiting class for a PG like Andre Curbelo to make this class complete.

I don't know if they purposefully minimized his passing in the video, but if the team he ends up on wants to be successful they need to pair him with a guard who can make plays. He's super athletic but I don't see him being a scoring threat on the level of someone like Lykes. He also doesn't have a great build and didn't look to be an effort player on defense. Overhyped guard that won't live up to ranking imo, most of his offense comes through transition.

He is very good in the open court and in transition but it is his ability to run and execute a half court offense that is the question at this point. That is yet to be seen. He is talented and very athletic but his skillset does not say point guard to me.

Can he dribble the ball up the court and call a play, sure but can he create scoring opportunities for others. That is the question because we have not seen it from him.

You make some good points. I agree with you about Wong and Beverly. Adding Lane and Timberlake would be beneficial especially if McGusty has a good year and turns pro. I would not be mad if that happened at all. I like the idea of Walker and Cross being our forwards because Coach L always talks about positionless basketball. Thanks for the inside information about Walker being closer to 6'9. I will not ask how you got it, LOL. Walker is a better player than most people realize.

Cliff at the 5 would definitely make Miami a "Final Four" team in a year or two as he rebounds and blocks shots at a high level. Depth would be a key as his aggression will probably get him in foul trouble. He is completely different from Hughley as Hughley is a much better offensive player.

Miami definitely needs that fifth scholarship for the 2020 recruiting class for a PG like Andre Curbelo to make this class complete.

Lol I go to UM now and I just saw like half the team walking the other day. I was a bit starstruck but I thought it'd be weird to go up and talk to them. It was like Walker/Waardenburg/Stone. Another time in the dining hall I saw Stone/DJ, and I saw Rodney walking around one time too. As for the height, I think this picture shows that Walker is very close to Waardenburg but also makes me think that Sam may be lying about his height. If Brooks is a solid 6'11" or 7' then there's no way Sam is 6'10", he may be closer to 6'8". There's a good amount of height on the team even without Brooks, but all of the tall players are either unproven or just mediocre. Brooks definitely should apply for the waiver.

Lol I go to UM now and I just saw like half the team walking the other day. I was a bit starstruck but I thought it'd be weird to go up and talk to them. It was like Walker/Waardenburg/Stone. Another time in the dining hall I saw Stone/DJ, and I saw Rodney walking around one time too. As for the height, I think this picture shows that Walker is very close to Waardenburg but also makes me think that Sam may be lying about his height. If Brooks is a solid 6'11" or 7' then there's no way Sam is 6'10", he may be closer to 6'8". There's a good amount of height on the team even without Brooks, but all of the tall players are either unproven or just mediocre. Brooks definitely should apply for the waiver.

LOL. I figured you were a student at UM and enjoy your college years. Have fun but definitely study and get your degree but make sure you network and meet as many people as you can. You should try to join the basketball team as a manager if you have time but your studies come first.

I agree with you about Sam. He may be closer to 6'8 but most fans wish he would play closer to 6'10. His time of potential is over and we need him to perform.

If all eleven guys were healthy and ready to go at the start of the season, I would think they could win 20 plus games easily.

Advertisement
Back