2020 Recruiting.

How can you ask someone a question and answer it yourself. That is just plain rude. In reverse, how do you know they don't? I will not be rude to you and say they do. Let's look to the football team. One neutral site game and now we have a home and home series with Florida.

Remember, if it don't make dollars then it don't make sense. Miami vs Florida makes money so it will happen.

The tournament in Orlando is an ESPN sponsored tournament and Miami only plays in it once every 5 years. The other sites are Charleston, SC, Puerto Rico, Hawaii and Fresno, CA. That is the rotation of the tournament sites. We are talking apples and oranges here.

Just to clarify, Miami should play UCF and USF every year in a home and home series. Before you say it will not work..... Miami is already playing UCF in a home and home this season. STOP. WAIT.

BREATHE......Thank you.
You keep thinking the Gators want to play us every year or even on a regular basis if you want, they don't. We play at UCF this year. They are not playing at UM. Maybe, they do next year and no one will care.

Advertisement
You keep thinking the Gators want to play us every year or even on a regular basis if you want, they don't. We play at UCF this year. They are not playing at UM. Maybe, they do next year and no one will care.

You do know that you don't speak for everyone. Just yourself. Just ask I can only speak for myself. However, it worked in football and the baseball team already plays Florida every year.

Go ahead. I am sure you are ready to tell me again it will not work without trying it. Please don't though.

Who knew that balmy winter breezes, the ocean, palm trees, attractive people, great academics, beautiful campus, a cozy on-campus arena, respected head coach, and membership in a premier basketball league could all be such a hard sell around the country?
Who knew that balmy winter breezes, the ocean, palm trees, attractive people, great academics, beautiful campus, a cozy on-campus arena, respected head coach, and membership in a premier basketball league could all be such a hard sell around the country?

Brother you'll be surprised. If we all thought like this ? Then we will have a top 5 recruiting class every year. To be honest with you the university of Miami has to let more of its community in this program and has to sell it more to a national audience. We are too comfortable with the term " It's Miami and the city can sell it'self " when actually we have been sitting like sitting birds on the gulf shore . We have to be more innovative and I personally think we can by using its resources. Adidas.

Advertisement
@Da_Lucky_One How do you feel about the pick up brother of the forward -Matt Cross. TBH I don't that much about him. Do you think Lane will pull the trigger soon ? Hopefully this is a ripple effect for Us.

Go Canes!

There's a couple issues.

1. Local fan support (including students). I don't believe for a minute the arena is "sold out" for all games. There's just too many empty seats. So ... consistent winning teams would solve a lot of this problem but, in the meantime, maybe provide VERY cheap tickets and even free tix to local HS hoops teams and their coaches (assuming that is legal). A "papered" house is much better than an empty arena which really plays badly on TV throughout the country.

2. Recruiting. Very successful with Transfers, far less so with HS top tier guys (with a few notable suggestions). Others have gone into this in depth here. No need to rehash.

There's a couple issues.

1. Local fan support (including students). I don't believe for a minute the arena is "sold out" for all games. There's just too many empty seats. So ... consistent winning teams would solve a lot of this problem but, in the meantime, maybe provide VERY cheap tickets and even free tix to local HS hoops teams and their coaches (assuming that is legal). A "papered" house is much better than an empty arena which really plays badly on TV throughout the country.

2. Recruiting. Very successful with Transfers, far less so with HS top tier guys (with a few notable suggestions). Others have gone into this in depth here. No need to rehash.

They do give out free tickets to recruits and their coaches.

Advertisement
Not good. We need a true 5, and Hughley is a great fit.

Eh, not having a 5 in next year's class isn't that bad. We should already have 3 bigs on the roster next year (assuming Brooks ends up redshirting) and Gak will only be a junior. As long as we have one in the 2021 class or take a transfer after the season, we'll be fine.

Its the wings that are critical.

@Da_Lucky_One How do you feel about the pick up brother of the forward -Matt Cross. TBH I don't that much about him. Do you think Lane will pull the trigger soon ? Hopefully this is a ripple effect for Us.

Go Canes!

Matt Cross is a good way to start a recruiting class and he is a good player that should get some playing time as a freshman. The debate was is he a small forward or power forward or stretch forward. I think his skillset and lateral quickness will determine that answer.

If he can put the ball on the floor and beat people of the dribble then he will play more small forward especially if he can defends opposing small forwards on the defensive end. If not then he will be somewhat of a Draymond Green type of player. Power forward with small forward skills.

Do I think Miami should stop recruiting Neils Lane or Earl Timberlake? Absolutely not. I think Coach L should get a waiver for Nysier Brooks so he can have 5 scholarships for the 2020 recruiting class.

Thanks for asking.

k1mdzciiphlhlrompobl

NATIONAL
-
STATE
POSITION
MATT
CROSS

6'8" | 225 LBS | PF
BREWSTER ACADEMY
WOLFEBORO, NH
CLASS OF 2020

VERBAL COMMIT
9/3/2019
MIAMI (FL)

Continuing to ascend the Rivals150, Cross is the perfect small ball power forward for today’s style of basketball. The 6-foot-8 senior is a two-way contributor that brings a blue-collared work ethic to floor and could fill a leadership void early on. He can make shots to the perimeter, finish through contact, rebound in high volumes and defend either forward position.

Articles with video highlights of Matt Cross. I do agree with Coach L, I see more 4 than 3 right now but if he commits to jumping rope then his foot speed should improve enough to play more small forward.

Advertisement

The reason I believe in this player's ranking is ...

Evans: Niels Lane, who moved up to No. 61, is special. Point blank. He didn’t have any power conference offers prior to the spring, but once he got onto the floor with the Team Final bunch, Lane exploded.

He is everything one looks for in an off-guard. He is tough, explosive, competes on both ends and can touch various portions on the final stat sheet. Maybe it is crazy to say or a little hot take-ish, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he tests the NBA Draft waters following his sophomore season as long as all things align. Florida, Miami, Providence, Texas or UConn will receive one of the better upside guards found along the east coast when he commits.

Getting a commitment from Matt Cross was a good start to the 2020 class but adding Lane and Timberlake would take Miami to another level. IMO.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Matt Cross is a good way to start a recruiting class and he is a good player that should get some playing time as a freshman. The debate was is he a small forward or power forward or stretch forward. I think his skillset and lateral quickness will determine that answer.

If he can put the ball on the floor and beat people of the dribble then he will play more small forward especially if he can defends opposing small forwards on the defensive end. If not then he will be somewhat of a Draymond Green type of player. Power forward with small forward skills.

Do I think Miami should stop recruiting Neils Lane or Earl Timberlake? Absolutely not. I think Coach L should get a waiver for Nysier Brooks so he can have 5 scholarships for the 2020 recruiting class.

Thanks for asking.
I'd much prefer he turn out to be a "Draymond Green-type" player, i.e., PF with SF skills. Wonder if he's projected to still grow? And, what kind of weight can he add without losing quickness/skills?

I'd much prefer he turn out to be a "Draymond Green-type" player, i.e., PF with SF skills. Wonder if he's projected to still grow? And, what kind of weight can he add without losing quickness/skills?

The height is the great unknown. Adding muscle and increasing foot speed is much easier. I think the Draymond Green comparison is the worse case scenario but it works really well for Matt and the team.

I find it interesting that some sites list him as 6'6 while another has him at 6'8.

Right now, he is probably a better stretch 4 than Sam was last year. Hopefully Sam takes a step in his development this season.

The height is the great unknown. Adding muscle and increasing foot speed is much easier. I think the Draymond Green comparison is the worse case scenario but it works really well for Matt and the team.

I find it interesting that some sites list him as 6'6 while another has him at 6'8.

Right now, he is probably a better stretch 4 than Sam was last year. Hopefully Sam takes a step in his development this season.
I saw that too. Big difference between 6'6 and a legit 6'8! Also, I saw one site that had him definitely listed as a 3; another has him as a 4. All seem to think he has sound fundamentals, plays both ends of the court, and has a high basketball IQ for his age. Another comment was that he "chucks it" too much but then quickly adds that "they all do in AAU ball. "

I saw that too. Big difference between 6'6 and a legit 6'8! Also, I saw one site that had him definitely listed as a 3; another has him as a 4. All seem to think he has sound fundamentals, plays both ends of the court, and has a high basketball IQ for his age. Another comment was that he "chucks it" too much but then quickly adds that "they all do in AAU ball. "

They aren't wrong. Took 272 shots in 13 games on Nike Circuit shooting 39% from the field and 28% from 3. 80% from the line. At Peach Jam took 89 shots in 5 games, shooting 45% from the field and 30% from 3.

Advertisement
Back