2020 Recruiting.

Advertisement
From an Illinois 247 recruiting writer:

What is your 1-10 rating on getting a commitment from Curbelo? We're a basketball school.

4 — From what I’ve heard, Miami could be the team to beat, but Illinois has connections and I think still has a chance.

Fearless predictions on where Miller and Curbelo end up? If both commit, whose spot does Kouma take?

I’ll stick with Adam Miller to Illinois and say Andre Curbelo to Miami. I’m not worried about counting scholarships in September.

From an Illinois 247 recruiting writer:

What is your 1-10 rating on getting a commitment from Curbelo? We're a basketball school.

4 — From what I’ve heard, Miami could be the team to beat, but Illinois has connections and I think still has a chance.

Fearless predictions on where Miller and Curbelo end up? If both commit, whose spot does Kouma take?

I’ll stick with Adam Miller to Illinois and say Andre Curbelo to Miami. I’m not worried about counting scholarships in September.

Reading between the lines, Adam Miller is the in-state kid who is option #1 for Illinois and Andre Curbelo is #2 for Illinois. However, Andre is PG priority #1 for Miami.

Advertisement

Honestly, he is a better fit for the Bulldogs. I would not be surprised if the visit to Miami got cancelled. The coaches should be all in on Andre Curbelo as he is a better fit for Miami.

Honestly, he is a better fit for the Bulldogs. I would not be surprised if the visit to Miami got cancelled. The coaches should be all in on Andre Curbelo as he is a better fit for Miami.

Notice the shoes he's wearing though, Miami player exclusives. I agree that Cuberlo is a better fit, but I wouldn't be mad if he chose Miami. Is there any possibility we get both?

I think we will have a decent team this year but 20/21 will be the season where we are really good assuming we have both Lykes and Mcgusty

Notice the shoes he's wearing though, Miami player exclusives. I agree that Cuberlo is a better fit, but I wouldn't be mad if he chose Miami. Is there any possibility we get both?

I don't think so. Not when we already have Lykes for another year and Wong. We have to fill out the depth on the wings and inside.

Advertisement

Thanks for pointing that out as I just noticed that. There is a possibility it happens but it would definitely create a logjam at the point guard spot. Not unless the coaches feel Chris Lykes will actually turn pro. I think he will go through the draft process but ultimately come back to school.

So yes, it is possible but unlikely given the information we have today.

I'm Chris's biggest fan (being from the DC area) but ... he has a LONG way to go on multiple aspects of his game before any NBA team gives him a serious look. He'll need all four years of college ball and needs to make sure his last two years are better than his first two. If they are, he'll get a shot; if not, he's looking at Europe. Just my opinion.

I'm Chris's biggest fan (being from the DC area) but ... he has a LONG way to go on multiple aspects of his game before any NBA team gives him a serious look. He'll need all four years of college ball and needs to make sure his last two years are better than his first two. If they are, he'll get a shot; if not, he's looking at Europe. Just my opinion.

It really comes down to fit. A player comparison would be Earl Boykins for Chris Lykes. Earl was an energetic scorer who came off the bench and had a pretty good NBA career. Fit is important so Chris would have to land on an uptempo team like Denver, Phoenix or Golden State with a coach who will look past a few bad decisions as he scores the basketball.

Your evaluation is correct and accurate though.

Since you from the DC area, what are your thoughts on Earl Timberlake as he plays at Dematha?

Advertisement
It really comes down to fit. A player comparison would be Earl Boykins for Chris Lykes. Earl was an energetic scorer who came off the bench and had a pretty good NBA career. Fit is important so Chris would have to land on an uptempo team like Denver, Phoenix or Golden State with a coach who will look past a few bad decisions as he scores the basketball.

Your evaluation is correct and accurate though.

Since you from the DC area, what are your thoughts on Earl Timberlake as he plays at Dematha?
Hard to go wrong on any standout player from either the Washington Metro or Baltimore Catholic leagues. Being private schools they recruit the top Junior High and HS talent from all over their respective regions. Timberlake is a good example as he lives about 20 miles from DeMatha. There are probably a dozen High Schools closer, including BIshop McNamara from the Washington Catholic League.

As I've said before here, I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up at Pitt. They were on him as a DeMatha Freshman, and he's tight with Xavier Johnson, Pitt's current top player (also from the DC area-at-large and who's only a Soph at Pitt).

I've seen Earl most often listed at 6'5 210 (some have him an inch taller). Either way, sort of a tweener size for a 3? Then again, the great Hall of Famer Adrian Dantley (another DeMatha product) who played at ND, and for 16 all-star NBA seasons, was that same height/weight.

Advertisement
Not pigeonholing him, just saying we don't need 2 PGs in this class.

A few things (on taking two PGs):

1. You can never have enough quality ball handlers,
2. One may transfer, look at our transfer history,
3. We have plenty of scholarships and don’t be shocked if more open up,
4. One may move to SG or play more SG, and
5. One may redshirt.

Please note: this doesn’t mean you take two PGs over another position, these are just generalizations based on our history. Obviously we need quality big men to come in.

Last edited:

The Good: Miami made his "Lucky 13".

The Bad: Logjam at the 5 spot if he commits and Brooks sits out this season with Rodney Miller and Deng Gak also back.

The Ugly: For the rest of the ACC if the 2020 Miami recruiting class include PG Andre Curbelo, SG Niels Lane, SF Earl Timberlake, PF Matt Cross and C Cliff Omoruyi.

A long way to go but I like the path we are on.

Advertisement
Back