2020 4 Star OT Isaiah Walker Transfers to Miami

Advertisement
I understand the posturing and the culture stances, but you have to make decisions case by case and sometimes that means exceptions for talent if the vetting just shows a homesick kid who made the wrong choice.

If the coaches are comfortable I like the addition of talent and give a little leeway for a kid coming home.
If the OFFENSIVE COACHES are comfortable

Advertisement
I dont Think people comprehend how good this is for us. He’s arguably the most gifted south Florida lineman since ereck flowers and he plays a premium position at tackle where we struggle mightily recruiting... Stud get and definitely a top 5 talent in this class, **** top 3...

Great pickup for sure, but Even Neal has a bone to pick with you on that. That's just two classes, I'm not going to think on it more as I'm happy we got this young man.

Great pickup for sure, but Even Neal has a bone to pick with you on that. That's just two classes, I'm not going to think on it more as I'm happy we got this young man.
Lake okeechobee south Florida? I didn’t really consider him because it’s outside of the parameters. Either way this kid is a stud

Kids got great feet. Been a while since we've had a true tackle here. Hopefully his heads on straight

Soo many threads on this kid not sure what to post but went thru old post and this is what some guys who have seen him in past have said.

@Stefan Adams
OT Issiah Walker, #148 overall

I’m already high on Walker, but even I was surprised at how well he performed. Going up against the best of the best DL’s in the nation, I expected him to struggle some with the power rushers, but Walker showed up about 20 pounds heavier than the last time I saw him and he was burying guys out there. That’s all in addition to his trademark athleticism at the tackle spot. Walker did not make the Final 5, but most of the media I talked to agreed he had an argument.

@gogeta4
Issiah Walker at Tackle is pretty text book.

He has GREAT feet..and a good reach. I dont know if its because he has never been an out of shape lineman as he played around 245 early in his career at Norland. But his frame is great yet he has a lot of power. He has gotten some good coaching at Norland or wherever he trains because the minute he feels a bull rush he drops that butt and anchors well. Walker also FINISHES. Thats key with me as alot of high school lineman are NICE GUYS from being the biggest kid ont he block and not wanting to hurt the kids. F That dude tryna get pancakes

He will be a 3 year starter wherever he commits to. I never thought he was coming here..but it looks like a move was made. Would LOVE him in this class. He is what Barry Likes at Tackle. And i think he can be a Left Tackle here if he commits.

Dumervil also is a beast but appears to be a long shot. Dumervil build, and reach sets him apart. Dude arms are long as sh*t and he is a slender 6'5 300 pounder that can legitimately play dl.

Getting 1 out of the 2 would be GREAT

@LuCane
OL
Issiah Walker - He's starting to get the hype now, but a kid with plus, plus feet and movement. Already 285 pounds as a HS junior and his test numbers look closer to an NFL prospect. You take those attributes and his natural ability to drop his *** and anchor on contact, and you let him control a Tackle position for a few years.

@BoxingRobes
When it comes to OL. Joe Thomas during the 2019 Combine said it best and so succinctly that it should be the standard for how we evaluate OL. I don't have the exact quote, but in summary...OL is all about how fast you get back into your set, square up, and load up with power. He also said that on that first step...for a tackle, that kick step, nothing should move above the hips - its wasted movement. Said its all about hips and feet. -- now, away from Thomas' evaluation...this lines up with the 20-yard shuttle (short shuttle) being such a important metric when evaluating offensive line to the NFL...its all about measuring quickness and change-of-direction. The OL that often succeeds with the above are your technician types. There are other ways to win...especially in college, but those are going to be the players that are a bigger and longer arms, they tend to win with more upper body...its sloppier, but some win with ****ty feet because they just have a different set of skills and techniques they've honed over the years - but those are the types that bust more.

Good post, Lu.

The types of OL we are recruiting lean heavily on the ideas that Joe Thomas laid out above. Guys a bit lighter that are more technique oriented players. There was a clip of Issiah Walker on twitter during - I think it was the Opening Regionals(??) where he was one-on-one and he kick stepped so flawlessly and just popped a dude and put him on his ***. Not sure where it is these days - the ether perhaps - but I've been all aboard with Walker since that clip.

Advertisement
Soo many threads on this kid not sure what to post but went thru old post and this is what some guys who have seen him in past have said.

@Stefan Adams

@gogeta4

@LuCane

@BoxingRobes
Good find. I think that was a thread about my admitted obsession with short shuttle, change of direction, and short area explosiveness. It applies to almost every position in modern football. I've harped on it for almost two decades because it's something I experienced personally. My senior year in HS, we played a handful of teams with way better athletes than our team had. I remember facing a WR who played inside, outside and even lined up at RB. He was an all-county guy as a Junior. Dude was really fast. But, changed direction like ****. On the other hand, our DBackfield faced another group of WRs (in Naples) who were more quick than fast. You can really feel the difference on the field. I played Safety and had to legitimately pause before breaking on the "change of direction" guys. Even though they were less "fast" than the "star" guy I mentioned. For the "star" guy, I could more easily anticipate and make up for his superior speed that way. And, so the obsession with how that felt began. You see it all over the game today.

How that relates to OT is better described by Gogeta, who played the spot in College. It's even more important in what Lashlee will presumably do here. I was a big fan of Walker as a prospect. Wrote about it a few times. Obviously, disgusted he became a Gator, but repeatedly acknowledged it didn't change my opinion of him as a prospect. I know many are being realistic with expectations and tempering excitement with "he needs time." For sure. Outside like 2-3 a year, ALL OTs need time. But, this kid has all the tools you seek in a Tackle. Prefer him to the guys who win with sheer size.

TLDR? I'm a fan of Walker because he has excellent feet and can't wait to watch him in practice.

Good find. I think that was a thread about my admitted obsession with short shuttle, change of direction, and short area explosiveness. It applies to almost every position in modern football. I've harped on it for almost two decades because it's something I experienced personally. My senior year in HS, we played a handful of teams with way better athletes than our team had. I remember facing a WR who played inside, outside and even lined up at RB. He was an all-county guy as a Junior. Dude was really fast. But, changed direction like ****. On the other hand, our DBackfield faced another group of WRs (in Naples) who were more quick than fast. You can really feel the difference on the field. I played Safety and had to legitimately pause before breaking on the "change of direction" guys. Even though they were less "fast" than the "star" guy I mentioned. For the "star" guy, I could more easily anticipate and make up for his superior speed that way. And, so the obsession with how that felt began. You see it all over the game today.

How that relates to OT is better described by Gogeta, who played the spot in College. It's even more important in what Lashlee will presumably do here. I was a big fan of Walker as a prospect. Wrote about it a few times. Obviously, disgusted he became a Gator, but repeatedly acknowledged it didn't change my opinion of him as a prospect. I know many are being realistic with expectations and tempering excitement with "he needs time." For sure. Outside like 2-3 a year, ALL OTs need time. But, this kid has all the tools you seek in a Tackle. Prefer him to the guys who win with sheer size.

TLDR? I'm a fan of Walker because he has excellent feet and can't wait to watch him in practice.

@gogeta4 played OL

always knew he was a ******

Advertisement
Advertisement

Yea that short shuttle take is something I became aware of on here in recent years. Definitely something to keep in mind. I am just happy we were able to back door our way into a talent that was soo highly regarded by everyone. Even tho they were short quotes I saw @DMoney and @Liberty City El also speak highly of the kid. We needed this as tackle recruiting just seemed off for years.

Correct me if I'm wrong- but doesn't Tate Martell have the best shuttle time of any player on the team? I think he was timed at 3.96.

Correct me if I'm wrong- but doesn't Tate Martell have the best shuttle time of any player on the team? I think he was timed at 3.96.
That honor would go to Restrepo. His shuttle was so fast in one of the camps that they didn’t count it cause the “timer must be broken cause it’s too low”
Multiple sub 4 second shuttle runs.

Advertisement
Back