2019 Potential Depth Chart (Defense)

Thoughts on Patchan ?
- I know he got hurt but I see no burst and no ability to "bully"
- worried he is another legacy recruit that doesnt pan out

Advertisement
Thanks, sorry for the long read fellas lol

I was waiting till we got all the transfers before I did the Defense version.

Liberty City El - you think that if we actually have an offense that can stay a few minutes each series - and then score some points - that this will enable our defense to come every play with their ears laid back - since they won't have to stay on the field all game long?

Sure seemed like Richt was always waiting for the Defense to win our games.

Liberty City El - you think that if we actually have an offense that can stay a few minutes each series - and then score some points - that this will enable our defense to come every play with their ears laid back - since they won't have to stay on the field all game long?

Sure seemed like Richt was always waiting for the Defense to win our games.
100%, with an improved Offense that will help the Defense out exponentially.

The Defense shouldn't be expected to carry the team year in & year out, if we can produce an Offense that can put up 28-31 points a game, the Defense will be in a better position to be more aggressive hunters & force more turnovers.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Thoughts on Patchan ?
I'm hoping in his Senior year he has his best season & plays to the best of his ability.

I don't think he'll be expected to start if we land Trevon Hill, so all he has do is be a situational Pass rusher & give us good snaps when he's in the game & I think he'll be fine.

I don't think he's all that great of a player or anything, but as long as he's healthy hopefully he can be a contributor.

Bolden and Hall should start with Carter rotating in a ton situationally

Carter struggled a ton in space as Lu mentioned, and thats too much of a liable weakness in this defense

Bolden and Hall should start with Carter rotating in a ton situationally

Carter struggled a ton in space as Lu mentioned, and thats too much of a liable weakness in this defense
Elite safeties don't rotate or come off the field. All it takes is one play (see Knowles last year). I like Carter's game a lot and if he starts that's great, but I'm anti-rotating guys outside of defensive line.

Advertisement
bill connelly from sb nation's stats say that production in the secondary is the hardest to replace. rumph and banda will earn their checks this year.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...8-ncaa-football-returning-starters-experience

one thing that's interesting is that our safeties made a lot of tackles last year but they weren't huge playmakers. quan and redwine had only 5 INT, 5 TFL, 3 sacks and 3 PBU between them. amari carter had 3 TFL, a sack and 3 PBU on his own despite only 8 total tackles. (will also note that their havoc numbers are kind of low because our front 7 makes so many plays.)

i think we're going to be conservative early in the season... manny has said on the record before that long touchdowns are what breaks open games. i think until he feels comfortable with our safeties cleaning plays up we'll see softer coverage on passing downs than most people would like. (not to mention having one of the young guys at corner.) but once guys like gurvan, amari, bolden and keontra grow into the system i think we might see more game changing plays made by our safeties than we did last year.

If we got Hill and Phillips, it is game over! This is going to be a special group.

i think the next development for this defense/staff is to start targeting specific recruits to play the striker position. finley was a revelation last year but the guys we have there now are kinda misfit tweener types. would love to see them target and recruit 4 star level talent for that specific spot, and what those players might look like. maybe keontra is the start.

2019 Defense sorta reminds me of the 2002 Defense. Experienced front 7 with a new Secondary. I remember Gator fans thinking they were going to light our Secondary up with Grossman. That didn’t work out so well.

Hopefully, our Defense can keep Florida to 20 points this year.

Advertisement
i think the next development for this defense/staff is to start targeting specific recruits to play the striker position. finley was a revelation last year but the guys we have there now are kinda misfit tweener types. would love to see them target and recruit 4 star level talent for that specific spot, and what those players might look like. maybe keontra is the start.
jamien Sherwood who went to auburn would have been a great addition for the striker position specifically

Advertisement
I think Bethel and Nesta are starting DT’s.. Bethel has played a lot of football and more than capable of getting the job done.. if UCLA DT beats him out I’d be surprised. Those 3 will get majority snaps with Miller and Ford splitting time for that 4th spot.

Thoughts on Patchan ?
he was ok was a regular in rotation last year with joe Jackson. Jackson/garvin just outshined everyone else but patchan played a lot. I don't know if he will be an nfl player but is a solid rotation guy for canes at de

LCE you gonna do a special teams ?
I thought about putting in the OP, but the post was already long enough.

We got Bubba Baxa who was a 9/12 on FG's & 45/46 on XP's as a True Freshman, which is pretty **** good. I hope he continue to be more clutch & make some big time kicks for us.

We got the new Punter from Australia Louis Hedley. I'm happy to have a new punter because Feagles & Jack Spicer were absolutely terrible & put our Defense at a disadvantage having to defend short fields all game long due to awful punting.

At KR, it will probably be Deejay & JT4, at PR I'd like to see Deejay, JT4, Pope & Bethel all get opportunities depending on the field position to return a punt for a TD.

With Patke coaching STs, he can't be any worse than Hartley was it, so we should be improved altogether as unit in that phase of the game.

Advertisement
Back