2019 Potential Depth Chart (Defense)

This will probably be even more debated than the Offensive Depth Chart I did because so many spots can be moved around.

Can you send me the Offensive link? Please

Awesome write up. Joyner and Frierson are the two guys I am most interested in seeing this season. We battled HARD to get those kids.

Advertisement
Hall's spot isn't guaranteed imo, I think people are just assuming so because of his talent, but talent ain't enough to get you a starter spot on this Defense. I think he'll be in the rotation & play a lot though.

Amari Carter as a Freshman had 26tcks 2TFL's & 2 sacks, this year he didn't in as many games but did had 3 PD's. I think his struggles are overstated on this board. Redwine was not good until his Junior year, once he was put in position to make plays he stepped up & excelled.

I guess I'll be the President of the Amari Carter fan club, so everyone can sell their AC5 stock to me, but he's a smart kid that will be coming into his Junior year, I think he'll breakout for us as the enforcer. Bubba Bolden will be the Deep Centerfielder that helps in coverage.
Bolden isn't really a cover guy.

Advertisement
Bolden isn't really a cover guy.
Much better cover guy than carter that’s for sure, he’s the most complete safety on the roster imo. Where did you get he’s not a cover guy? He’s very active in the passing game actually

Great stuff, as usual. Two comments:

I think Hill comes off the bench and Rousseau/Patchan man the SDE spot. It doesn't really matter because Hill will likely get as many actual snaps as whoever plays at SDE. Like I've said, I see him in the Trent Harris role.

I don't see the Amari Carter thing unless Bolden is not good at all and Smith remains too young and inexperienced. I'm not saying Amari won't play. He'll play. But, he needs considerable work. Forget the message board label as a headhunting Safety who struggles in pass coverage. On plenty of occasions, I actually watched him struggle in any kind of space and filling the alley. In this defense, you cannot struggle to tackle in space. He may very well improve and we need him to serve as a 3rd Safety, but I hope someone comes up and grabs the spot next to Hall.
Finally glad to see someone being honest about Amari Carter. I feel the exact same way.

Hall's spot isn't guaranteed imo, I think people are just assuming so because of his talent, but talent ain't enough to get you a starter spot on this Defense. I think he'll be in the rotation & play a lot though.

Amari Carter as a Freshman had 26tcks 2TFL's & 2 sacks, this year he didn't in as many games but did had 3 PD's. I think his struggles are overstated on this board. Redwine was not good until his Junior year, once he was put in position to make plays he stepped up & excelled.

I guess I'll be the President of the Amari Carter fan club, so everyone can sell their AC5 stock to me, but he's a smart kid that will be coming into his Junior year, I think he'll breakout for us as the enforcer. Bubba Bolden will be the Deep Centerfielder that helps in coverage.

We disagree there. Whatever he does going forward and hopefully it's improvement, he struggled like **** in space this year. Trying to call it like it is like I did with a favorite of mine as a recruit, Mccloud (who also fumbles in space). You know me as someone who re-watches games play by play and am obsessed with Safeties. I like Carter and think can do very well in some zone schemes, but there were some ugly plays out there for him. I'm sure he's seen those on film, too, so it's not like I'm saying anything disparaging. I usually save that for the coaches, who get paid. Ha.

If Amari plays over Gurvan Hall (who i see and we need as more than "in the rotation"), I'll be surprised and will have to see if we moved to more zone in 2019. Redwine struggled before he played a different position. Amari's struggles are with certain attributes of his game that will only look different if he has different responsibilities (like zone instead of ending up man'd up hash to sideline). If it were me, I'd use his considerable talent in blitz packages.

That said, if it happens, good news for us.

Advertisement
We disagree there. Whatever he does going forward and hopefully it's improvement, he struggled like **** in space this year. Trying to call it like it is like I did with a favorite of mine as a recruit, Mccloud (who also fumbles in space). You know me as someone who re-watches games play by play and am obsessed with Safeties. I like Carter and think can do very well in some zone schemes, but there were some ugly plays out there for him. I'm sure he's seen those on film, too, so it's not like I'm saying anything disparaging. I usually save that for the coaches, who get paid. Ha.

If Amari plays over Gurvan Hall (who i see and we need as more than "in the rotation"), I'll be surprised and will have to see if we moved to more zone in 2019. Redwine struggled before he played a different position. Amari's struggles are with certain attributes of his game that will only look different if he has different responsibilities (like zone instead of ending up man'd up hash to sideline).

That said, if it happens, good news for us.
I respect your opinion a lot Lu. I think we'll use Amari the way we did in 2017 as an in Box Zone Safety that brings pressure as a Blitzer on 3rd down.

I admit I'm probably the biggest fan of Amari on the board so that clouds my opinion lol I just don't think he'll be immediately sent to the bench coming into his 3 year in the system. The staff values experience & I think his intelligence & experience will give him the edge. He will improve this season, just like Redwine & Rome Finley did in their Junior year's as well, I'm betting on that.

As I already stated, no one has to convince me how good Gurvan Hall is & I'm not arguing he won't play at all, I see him playing a similar role to what Jaquan did on the 2016 Defense as the 3rd Safety behind Jenkins/Jamal Carter.

Finally glad to see someone being honest about Amari Carter. I feel the exact same way.
As opposed to what? Most people don't even think he's going to start or is even all that good.

I'm the only one the reps for him on this board lol

As opposed to what? Most people don't even think he's going to start or is even all that good.

I'm the only one the reps for him on this board lol
Yeah LCE you are the lone wolf brutha on that. I'm not doubting him I actually don't really have an opinion about our S group. I just want them to come in and get some reps. I know it will be some growing(communication) pains but I hope they all blow up and we continue to field a strong defense.

Advertisement
WDE - Jon Garvin/ Scott Patchan/ Jahfari Harvey/ Cam Williams
DT1 - Nesta Silvera/ Path Bethel/ Jason Blissett/ Tyreic Martin
DT2 - Chigozie Nnoruka/ Jon Ford/ Jordan Miller/ Jalar Holley
SDE - Trevon Hill/ Gregory Rousseau/ Jason Munoz

WLB - Michael Pinckney/ Waynmon Steed/ Sam Brooks
MLB - Shaquille Quarterman/ BJ Jennings/
SLB - Zach McCloud/ Patrick Joyner/ Avery Huff

Striker - Romeo Finley/ Derrick Smith
(Keontra Smith could play Striker as well)

LCB - Trajan Bandy/ Gilbert Frierson/ Tecory Couch
RCB - Al Blades Jr/ DJ Ivey/ Nigel Bethel

FS - Bubba Bolden/ Gurvan Hall/ Robert Knowles
SS - Amari Carter/ Derrick Smith/ Keontra Smith

At DE, Patchan will probably be a Strong Side DE, but I put him at Weak Side for the time being with the addition of Trevon Hill. You could put Hill at WDE & Garvin at Strong side too, but I think the DE rotation will have a lot to do with how Rousseau is coming along in his recovery if he's 100%. Also, a big plus is my boy Jahfari Harvey is an EE & will get those early Spring reps which will be huge for us in DE depth. If Roussea is healthy you can balance both the End spots out with Garvin, Hill, Patchan & Rousseau as the top 4 DE's on either side, if he's not, then hopefully Harvey excels & can get some snaps as Garvin's backup.

(I'm aware that Jaelen Phillips could be coming as well & if he does, he probably won't be eligible til the 2020 season but will definitely be a Strong Side DE.)

DT Depth has gotten stronger with the addition of Nnoruka from UCLA, I believe he & Silvera will be the starters at DT, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Bethel as a Senior was a starter as well. Either way, I'm happy with the rotation of Nnoruka, Rudebwoy Nesta, Bethel, Ford & Miller. I also think Blissett & Holley will play some as TF's, I think if the older guys all stay healthy the Freshman DT's will play in 3 or 4 games & redshirt, unless they just excel so much that they force themselves into the rotation. And I know there will be some debate about Munoz at DT or DE, I think as a True Freshman for depth purposes he'll be put at DE & shirted until he's fully healthy, but down the line in the next 2 years or so, I could see him at 3-tech DT. (Just my opinion)

At LB still strong with all Senior battle tested veterans who have started every game as the LB Corp of this Defense for the last 3 years. I think in their final Senior year we'll see the best we've seen from Shaq, Pinckney & McCloud. Looking forward to seeing Steed & Jennings get more snaps this season because those are the guys who will have to step up after the Seniors are gone, really hate how Wilder's career wound up kid had potential with nice speed wish him the absolute best, he's was a good kid & a hard worker. The only question I have with the LB group, is Joyner going to be DE or LB, or both?

I expect Brooks & Huff to play in 4 games & redshirt, but both of these kids are physical freaks of nature that will kill it after getting in our new S&C program. Those 2 beasts are fast, violent & instinctual football players, they will be future All-ACC LB's, don't care who disagrees or thinks I'm getting ahead of myself lol. They are pure definition of Miami LB's.

The most debatable position will be the CB's. I listed Al Jr as the starter opposite of Bandy because he played the most out of the 3 from last year (he played in every game & had 13tcks), he's got the experience & has good press cover skills, doesn't have the blazing 4.4 speed you'd like to see but can make up for it with technique & physicality. After a year in the system I think Al, DJ, Gil & all of them will be better.

Ivey IMO has the best shot in winning that CB2 starter spot, Ivey was mainly a ST's guy but he did play in 11 games & was not redshirted last year. He's gotten physically bigger at 6'1 195lbs & with his long arm frame is set to have a breakout year.

Frierson was redshirted last year, but has the potential to be a great addition to the secondary this year, another physical freak with very good natural Ball skills. There's always a debate about him moving to Safety, but I don't see that happening (at least not this year), we don!t have enough depth at CB to move any of them to Safety & I still feel it's too early to give up on any of them as Corners. I also like his chances to become CB2 or CB3, I think he'll play a lot this year.

I fully expect Ivey & Frierson to make their push for the starter spot, I'm NOT saying any of them are shoo-in's, it will be a wide open competition & the one I'm most excited to see this Spring & Fall.

At Safety, everyone has already thrown Amari Carter away with the addition of Bubba Bolden, but coming into his Junior year I think he's going to blow up & play his best ball yet, people forget Quan didn't have a breakout year until his Junior year after being in rotation behind Jenkins/Carter in 2016. AC5 will be the enforcer on the back end, y'all can sleep on him, but his Football IQ will be valuable in this Diaz/Baker Defense.

I'm a huge Gurvan Hall fan as well, I was one of the first people to ever post on the kid way back in July of 2016 👉🏾 https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/2018-s-gurvan-hall-receives-offer.99881/ so you don't have to convince me how good he is. The Palm Beach duo of Carter & Hall has potential to be the next Jaquan & Redwine, but even better. As a Red Frosh Hall will get his shot to play a great deal in the rotation & wouldn't be shocked if he was a starter this year too. I think our top 3 Safeties with Bolden, Carter & Hall will be strong, and barring injury will be the defensive catalysts in the secondary.

Overall, I think our Defense will still be a top 5-10 unit & remain the strength of our team. I know a lot of fans are worried, just like yall we're going to the 2017 season after we lost Elder, Carter, Jenkins & Colbert, then the same thing going into the 2018 season after losing Chad Thomas, Tren Harris, RJ McIntosh, Kendrick Norton, Anthony Moten, Darrion Owens & DJ Johnson transferring.

Now in 2019 after losing Willis, Joe Jackson, Mike Jack, Quan & Red some think we'll see a drop off, I disagree. I think losing Joe Jackson & Willis will hurt, but the system we run allows for talented players to excel on the DLine. Garvin had 60tcks & 17TFL's last year as only a Sophomore, with bringin Hill on Garvin will destroy even harder his Junior year & while I don't think we'll have a DT do what Willis did, I do think Silvera, Chigozie, Bethel & Ford will be good enough to be productive. Either way, I'm excited to see this Defense continue to evolve.
I am gonna say it once bethel gonna start. he is always where coaches want him never misses an assignment. he isn't explosive he just does his job. he will start. silvera may be other starter but him and nnoruka are fighiting for the ot spot bethel is gonna be the nt type as he was last year he is underrated by Miami fans

I respect your opinion a lot Lu. I think we'll use Amari the way we did in 2017 as an in Box Zone Safety that brings pressure as a Blitzer on 3rd down.

I admit I'm probably the biggest fan of Amari on the board so that clouds my opinion lol I just don't think he'll be immediately sent to the bench coming into his 3 year in the system. The staff values experience & I think his intelligence & experience will give him the edge. He will improve this season, just like Redwine & Rome Finley did in their Junior year's as well, I'm betting on that.

As I already stated, no one has to convince me how good Gurvan Hall is & I'm not arguing he won't play at all, I see him playing a similar role to what Jaquan did on the 2016 Defense as the 3rd Safety behind Jenkins/Jamal Carter.
Ditto on respect, man. Think i said in an earlier post I'd hope for him to serve as a 3rd Safety and in certain sub-packages. Ideally, anyway, behind top talents like Hall and Bolden. Again, Amari can get better. Who knows. But, based on what I've seen, I'd use him in zone coverage and most definitely on blitz packages. He can lead us in DB sacks this year and it wouldn't surprise me at all.

IF the D can be close to last year's level of play AND the O can move up to at least the 50th percentile, those two alone will reduce yards against and points against simply because opposing Os won't be on the field as much and won't be starting almost every drive on the 50yd line.

With the above however, TFL, sacks, and INTs may/should decrease because the Miami D will be on the field less with reduced risks.

I do remain open though, sacks and INTs might stay at same level if opposing Os are playing from behind and forced to pass. Wouldn't that be a great problem to have?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I have confidence that our defense will continue its steady play. The potential at DE with Garvin, Hill, Patchan, Rousseau and Harvey is something to get very excited about.

I feel as though the 3 corners from last cycle will start to blossom in their second year, might not be as steady as MJ but they have higher ceilings.

The one player I would like to see more from is striker is Derrick Smith, I thought he HS tape at safety looked great. I hope he has a great spring/fall camp so that he can work his way into the field.

Still think our defense will be top 10 especially with our schedule.

I can agree with that.

I put Bolden at FS due to his 4.5 speed & his athleticism, I feel he'll be more of a Deep Centerfielder type that is used as help in coverage over top.

To me Amari is best when he blitzing & coming down in the run game, I think he's more of a Strong Safety run support type like how the Ravens used Bernard Pollard.

But I do see them flipping their roles as well, because Hall fits in the Rover spot like Jaquan did & in rotation I could see all 3 of them on the field in certain packages.

It's good to have interchangeable safeties. USC used Taylor Mays as a deep centerfielder and he was bigger and more straight-linish than Bolden. It never really made sense to me but I guess it worked out for them.

The way I see it is if Bolden is playing very deep and breaking on balls in front of him he will excel. But if he's defending a slot vertical with a 2-way go where he has to open his hips to a side and get depth he could get exposed.

Also the staff might want a guy at SS who knows the scheme and can direct traffic. So that would favor Carter & Hall which follows your logic.

Man if we can get Miller and Ford to step up and bring some pressure from the 1 tech this defense could be top 3 in the country. I waiting to see Miller after a year of S&C under his belt.

Advertisement
Back