2019 Potential Depth Chart (Defense)

Memnon

Dejazmach
Premium
WDE - Jon Garvin/ Scott Patchan/ Jahfari Harvey/ Cam Wiliams
DT1 - Nesta Silvera/ Path Bethel/ Jason Blissett/ Jared Harrison-Hunte/ Tyreic Martin
DT2 - Chigozie Nnoruka/ Jon Ford/ Jordan Miller/ Jalar Holley
SDE - Trevon Hill/ Gregory Rousseau/ Patrick Joyner/ Jaelen Phillips

(Patrick Joyner can play LB/DE)

WLB - Michael Pinckney/ Waynmon Steed/ Sam Brooks
MLB - Shaquille Quarterman/ BJ Jennings/ Patrick Joyner
SLB - Zach McCloud/ Deandre Wilder/ Avery Huff

Striker - Romeo Finley/ Derrick Smith
(Keontra Smith could play Striker as well)

LCB - Trajan Bandy/ Gilbert Frierson/ Christian Williams
RCB - Al Blades Jr/ DJ Ivey/ Nigel Bethel/ Tecory Couch

FS - Bubba Bolden/ Gurvan Hall/ Robert Knowles
SS - Amari Carter/ Derrick Smith/ Keontra Smith

At DE, Patchan will probably be a Strong Side DE, but I put him at Weak Side for the time being with the addition of Trevon Hill. You could put Hill at WDE & Garvin at Strong side too, but I think the DE rotation will have a lot to do with how Rousseau is coming along in his recovery if he's 100%. Also, a big plus is my boy Jahfari Harvey is an EE & will get those early Spring reps which will be huge for us in DE depth. If Roussea is healthy you can balance both the End spots out with Garvin, Hill, Patchan & Rousseau as the top 4 DE's on either side, if he's not, then hopefully Harvey excels & can get some snaps as Garvin's backup.

(I'm aware that Jaelen Phillips could be coming as well & if he does, he probably won't be eligible til the 2020 season but will definitely be a Strong Side DE.)

DT Depth has gotten stronger with the addition of Nnoruka from UCLA, I believe he & Silvera will be the starters at DT, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Bethel as a Senior was a starter as well. Either way, I'm happy with the rotation of Nnoruka, Rudebwoy Nesta, Bethel, Ford & Miller. I also think Blissett, Holley & Harrison-Hunte will play some as TF's, I think if the older guys all stay healthy the Freshman DT's will play in 3 or 4 games & redshirt, unless they just excel so much that they force themselves into the rotation.

At LB still strong with all Senior battle tested veterans who have started every game as the LB Corp of this Defense for the last 3 years. I think in their final Senior year we'll see the best we've seen from Shaq, Pinckney & McCloud. Looking forward to seeing Steed & Jennings get more snaps this season because those are the guys who will have to step up after the Seniors are gone, really hate how Wilder's career wound up kid had potential with nice speed wish him the absolute best, he's was a good kid & a hard worker. The only question I have with the LB group, is Joyner going to be DE or LB, or both?

I expect Brooks & Huff to play in 4 games & redshirt, but both of these kids are physical freaks of nature that will kill it after getting in our new S&C program. Those 2 beasts are fast, violent & instinctual football players, they will be future All-ACC LB's, don't care who disagrees or thinks I'm getting ahead of myself lol. They are pure definition of Miami LB's.

The most debatable position will be the CB's. I listed Al Jr as the starter opposite of Bandy because he played the most out of the 3 from last year (he played in every game & had 13tcks), he's got the experience & has good press cover skills, doesn't have the blazing 4.4 speed you'd like to see but can make up for it with technique & physicality. After a year in the system I think Al, Gil & all of them will be better.

At Safety, everyone has already thrown Amari Carter away with the addition of Bubba Bolden, but coming into his Junior year I think he's going to blow up & play his best ball yet, people forget Quan didn't have a breakout year until his Junior year after being in rotation behind Jenkins/Carter in 2016. AC5 will be the enforcer on the back end, y'all can sleep on him, but his Football IQ will be valuable in this Diaz/Baker Defense.

I'm a huge Gurvan Hall fan as well, I was one of the first people to ever post on the kid way back in July of 2016 👉🏾https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/2018-s-gurvan-hall-receives-offer.99881/ so you don't have to convince me how good he is. The Palm Beach duo of Carter & Hall has potential to be the next Jaquan & Redwine, but even better. As a Red Frosh Hall will get his shot to play a great deal in the rotation & wouldn't be shocked if he was a starter this year too. I think our top 3 Safeties with Bolden, Carter & Hall will be strong, and barring injury will be the defensive catalysts in the secondary.

Overall, I think our Defense will still be a top 5-10 unit & remain the strength of our team. I know a lot of fans are worried, just like yall we're going to the 2017 season after we lost Elder, Carter, Jenkins & Colbert, then the same thing going into the 2018 season after losing Chad Thomas, Tren Harris, RJ McIntosh, Kendrick Norton, Anthony Moten, Darrion Owens & DJ Johnson transferring.

Now in 2019 after losing Willis, Joe Jackson, Mike Jack, Quan & Red some think we'll see a drop off, I disagree. I think losing Joe Jackson & Willis will hurt, but the system we run allows for talented players to excel on the DLine. Garvin had 60tcks & 17TFL's last year as only a Sophomore, with bringin Hill on Garvin will destroy even harder his Junior year & while I don't think we'll have a DT do what Willis did, I do think Silvera, Chigozie, Bethel & Ford will be good enough to be productive. Either way, I'm excited to see this Defense continue to evolve.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Honestly our DL and secondary could have (and still could) be scary in a bad way with all the turnover.

However adding these extra pieces it’s just better that we aren’t relying completely on guys like Nesta, Gurvan, Rousseau etc to make these huge leaps

Advertisement
@ El, do you see us using a scheme where on long passing downs we put the striker at mike and have the top 3 safeties in the game.. maybe bolden bumps down and have the wpb duo in the back end ?

Great stuff, as usual. Two comments:

I think Hill comes off the bench and Rousseau/Patchan man the SDE spot. It doesn't really matter because Hill will likely get as many actual snaps as whoever plays at SDE. Like I've said, I see him in the Trent Harris role.

I don't see the Amari Carter thing unless Bolden is not good at all and Smith remains too young and inexperienced. I'm not saying Amari won't play. He'll play. But, he needs considerable work. Forget the message board label as a headhunting Safety who struggles in pass coverage. On plenty of occasions, I actually watched him struggle in any kind of space and filling the alley. In this defense, you cannot struggle to tackle in space. He may very well improve and we need him to serve as a 3rd Safety, but I hope someone comes up and grabs the spot next to Hall.

Great stuff, as usual. Two comments:

I think Hill comes off the bench and Rousseau/Patchan man the SDE spot. It doesn't really matter because Hill will likely get as many actual snaps as whoever plays at SDE. Like I've said, I see him in the Trent Harris role.

I don't see the Amari Carter thing unless Bolden is not good at all and Smith remains too young and inexperienced. I'm not saying Amari won't play. He'll play. But, he needs considerable work. Forget the message board label as a headhunting Safety who struggles in pass coverage. On plenty of occasions, I actually watched him struggle in any kind of space and filling the alley. In this defense, you cannot struggle to tackle in space. He may very well improve and we need him to serve as a 3rd Safety, but I hope someone comes up and grabs the spot next to Hall.

I would like to see Carter at striker.

Advertisement
Great post. We're very lucky to have all 3 LBs back. We need to build much more depth there. We haven't seen a ton out of any of the backups.

Advertisement
@ El, do you see us using a scheme where on long passing downs we put the striker at mike and have the top 3 safeties in the game.. maybe bolden bumps down and have the wpb duo in the back end ?
I think on long passing downs you'll see us go Nickel coverage with Rome Finley on the field at Striker which is basically the Nickel Safety/LB spot.

The question is, do we go with the 3 Safeties, or do the Corners make a strong enough presence to where they feel comfortable with the Dime package? To me it all depends on who emerges in Camp.

Great post, LCE. I thought S would be our biggest concern coming out of last season, and it still is a concern just because of how important communication and understanding the entire defense is back there in Manny's scheme, but the talent, experience and depth is there now, with the addition of Bolden.

IMHO, the weakness on this defense is the CB room. It's such a shame we lost Malek Young prior to last season, that kid would be entering his prime and, while a bit short in stature, the duo of him and Bandy would be legit frustrating for opposing WR's. Anyway, we've obviously got some really talented guys at that position, but the experience and depth is just not there.

All that said, I think we'll take a step back from a pure statistical perspective, but should still be a top 30, top 25 defense this season.

Advertisement
WDE - Jon Garvin/ Scott Patchan/ Jahfari Harvey/ Cam Williams
DT1 - Nesta Silvera/ Path Bethel/ Jason Blissett/ Tyreic Martin
DT2 - Chigozie Nnoruka/ Jon Ford/ Jordan Miller/ Jalar Holley
SDE - Trevon Hill/ Gregory Rousseau/ Jason Munoz

WLB - Michael Pinckney/ Waynmon Steed/ Sam Brooks
MLB - Shaquille Quarterman/ BJ Jennings/
SLB - Zach McCloud/ Patrick Joyner/ Avery Huff

Striker - Romeo Finley/ Derrick Smith
(Keontra Smith could play Striker as well)

LCB - Trajan Bandy/ Gilbert Frierson/ Tecory Couch
RCB - Al Blades Jr/ DJ Ivey/ Nigel Bethel

FS - Bubba Bolden/ Gurvan Hall/ Robert Knowles
SS - Amari Carter/ Derrick Smith/ Keontra Smith

At DE, Patchan will probably be a Strong Side DE, but I put him at Weak Side for the time being with the addition of Trevon Hill. You could put Hill at WDE & Garvin at Strong side too, but I think the DE rotation will have a lot to do with how Rousseau is coming along in his recovery if he's 100%. Also, a big plus is my boy Jahfari Harvey is an EE & will get those early Spring reps which will be huge for us in DE depth. If Roussea is healthy you can balance both the End spots out with Garvin, Hill, Patchan & Rousseau as the top 4 DE's on either side, if he's not, then hopefully Harvey excels & can get some snaps as Garvin's backup.

(I'm aware that Jaelen Phillips could be coming as well & if he does, he probably won't be eligible til the 2020 season but will definitely be a Strong Side DE.)

DT Depth has gotten stronger with the addition of Nnoruka from UCLA, I believe he & Silvera will be the starters at DT, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Bethel as a Senior was a starter as well. Either way, I'm happy with the rotation of Nnoruka, Rudebwoy Nesta, Bethel, Ford & Miller. I also think Blissett & Holley will play some as TF's, I think if the older guys all stay healthy the Freshman DT's will play in 3 or 4 games & redshirt, unless they just excel so much that they force themselves into the rotation. And I know there will be some debate about Munoz at DT or DE, I think as a True Freshman for depth purposes he'll be put at DE & shirted until he's fully healthy, but down the line in the next 2 years or so, I could see him at 3-tech DT. (Just my opinion)

At LB still strong with all Senior battle tested veterans who have started every game as the LB Corp of this Defense for the last 3 years. I think in their final Senior year we'll see the best we've seen from Shaq, Pinckney & McCloud. Looking forward to seeing Steed & Jennings get more snaps this season because those are the guys who will have to step up after the Seniors are gone, really hate how Wilder's career wound up kid had potential with nice speed wish him the absolute best, he's was a good kid & a hard worker. The only question I have with the LB group, is Joyner going to be DE or LB, or both?

I expect Brooks & Huff to play in 4 games & redshirt, but both of these kids are physical freaks of nature that will kill it after getting in our new S&C program. Those 2 beasts are fast, violent & instinctual football players, they will be future All-ACC LB's, don't care who disagrees or thinks I'm getting ahead of myself lol. They are pure definition of Miami LB's.

The most debatable position will be the CB's. I listed Al Jr as the starter opposite of Bandy because he played the most out of the 3 from last year (he played in every game & had 13tcks), he's got the experience & has good press cover skills, doesn't have the blazing 4.4 speed you'd like to see but can make up for it with technique & physicality. After a year in the system I think Al, DJ, Gil & all of them will be better.

Ivey IMO has the best shot in winning that CB2 starter spot, Ivey was mainly a ST's guy but he did play in 11 games & was not redshirted last year. He's gotten physically bigger at 6'1 195lbs & with his long arm frame is set to have a breakout year.

Frierson was redshirted last year, but has the potential to be a great addition to the secondary this year, another physical freak with very good natural Ball skills. There's always a debate about him moving to Safety, but I don't see that happening (at least not this year), we don!t have enough depth at CB to move any of them to Safety & I still feel it's too early to give up on any of them as Corners. I also like his chances to become CB2 or CB3, I think he'll play a lot this year.

I fully expect Ivey & Frierson to make their push for the starter spot, I'm NOT saying any of them are shoo-in's, it will be a wide open competition & the one I'm most excited to see this Spring & Fall.

At Safety, everyone has already thrown Amari Carter away with the addition of Bubba Bolden, but coming into his Junior year I think he's going to blow up & play his best ball yet, people forget Quan didn't have a breakout year until his Junior year after being in rotation behind Jenkins/Carter in 2016. AC5 will be the enforcer on the back end, y'all can sleep on him, but his Football IQ will be valuable in this Diaz/Baker Defense.

I'm a huge Gurvan Hall fan as well, I was one of the first people to ever post on the kid way back in July of 2016 👉🏾 https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/2018-s-gurvan-hall-receives-offer.99881/ so you don't have to convince me how good he is. The Palm Beach duo of Carter & Hall has potential to be the next Jaquan & Redwine, but even better. As a Red Frosh Hall will get his shot to play a great deal in the rotation & wouldn't be shocked if he was a starter this year too. I think our top 3 Safeties with Bolden, Carter & Hall will be strong, and barring injury will be the defensive catalysts in the secondary.

Overall, I think our Defense will still be a top 5-10 unit & remain the strength of our team. I know a lot of fans are worried, just like yall we're going to the 2017 season after we lost Elder, Carter, Jenkins & Colbert, then the same thing going into the 2018 season after losing Chad Thomas, Tren Harris, RJ McIntosh, Kendrick Norton, Anthony Moten, Darrion Owens & DJ Johnson transferring.

Now in 2019 after losing Willis, Joe Jackson, Mike Jack, Quan & Red some think we'll see a drop off, I disagree. I think losing Joe Jackson & Willis will hurt, but the system we run allows for talented players to excel on the DLine. Garvin had 60tcks & 17TFL's last year as only a Sophomore, with bringin Hill on Garvin will destroy even harder his Junior year & while I don't think we'll have a DT do what Willis did, I do think Silvera, Chigozie, Bethel & Ford will be good enough to be productive. Either way, I'm excited to see this Defense continue to evolve.

Well said. This defense seems to just churn out outstanding DL. As you said there is no reason to believe that Ford, Bethel and Patchan won't turn into very productive or maybe even All ACC type players this season. Like you said Trent, McIntosh, Norton, even Moten really turned it on their junior and senior years after having lackluster careers going into them.

I wouldn't mind a Grad transfer for Depth purposes only.

I'm tired of GT's & Juco's at CB being relies upon as starters, Dean & Delaney were liabilities in the secondary because they had no business being here to begin with.

If Rumph can't get Blades, Ivey, Frierson & Bethel ready then there's something wrong.

Agree. Not sure any of the young pups could do worse than Dean did last year

Advertisement
Back