2019 CB Marcus Banks hits portal

Advertisement
Obviously he aint T Rob on the trail, but is he what we need there?
He’s been a pretty good recruiter himself.

He’s landed 4-star CB Avantae ****erson from Nebraska, 4-star CB Jalil Tucker & 4-star Jahlil Florence both from San Diego (same HS as Keyshawn Smith), 4-star CB Jaylin Davies from Mater Dei & snatched 3-star S Landon Hullaby from Texas & that was considered a big recruiting win because Landon’s older brother currently plays for Texas & most of his family are Longhorn fans.

He’s a good recruiter & good teacher as well, he’s done a great job developing Verone McKinley & Mykael Wright.

I was about to ask your opinion on him and then realized..... Haven't Oregon produced a couple high rd picks at DB lately?
I posted on him already last year when we were on the CB search after it became clear that Rumph wasn’t gonna be the CB’s coach anymore.

Oregon has had a some nice prospects at DB drafted recently, Deommodre Lenoir was a 5th rounder to San Fran, Jevon Holland was a 2nd rounder to the Dolphins at Safety, & Thomas Graham Jr was a 6th rounder to the Bears.

But none of those guys were Rod Chance guys, they were recruited & signed by Mario’s former CB coach Donte Williams who went to USC last year & was their interim HC this year after Clay Helton got fired. Donte is an ELITE recruiter.

I posted on him already last year when we were on the CB search after it became clear that Rumph wasn’t gonna be the CB’s coach anymore.

Oregon has had a some nice prospects at DB drafted recently, Deommodre Lenoir was a 5th rounder to San Fran, Jevon Holland was a 2nd rounder to the Dolphins at Safety, & Thomas Graham Jr was a 6th rounder to the Bears.

But none of those guys were Rod Chance guys, they were recruited & signed by Mario’s former CB coach Donte Williams who went to USC last year & was their interim HC this year after Clay Helton got fired. Donte is an ELITE recruiter.
I see I see. Doesn't sound like too big of a drop off(if any) from when Trob leaves.

I wonder if Mario could pull Donte Williams back in. Seems like a West Coast guy and I am sure Riley will make sure a spot is available to retain him (along with a ton of other options) but it would be a home run hire.

Advertisement
I wonder if Mario could pull Donte Williams back in. Seems like a West Coast guy and I am sure Riley will make sure a spot is available to retain him (along with a ton of other options) but it would be a home run hire.
I’ve heard from my connects amongst the CB’s coaches that Donte & Mario didn’t really get along.

I expect him to stick at a West Coast program, but who knows stranger things have happened lol

Riley has already brought over his CB coach from OU. Donte is rumored to be going to UW.
Yeah Roy Manning, he’s a pure recruiter as well.

It’s crazy how he’s emerged as a legit CB’s coach, when he was primarily a LB as a player & as a coach to start his career.

Advertisement
Yea, Donte hated working for Mario. He’s going to UW as DC.
I heard that same thing from one of my boys who worked with him at Nevada, that Donte & Mario bumped heads quite a bit because Mario likes to have total control of how things are done from a recruiting standpoint & that Donte is a guy that you have to let him do his thing...

He also was a GA at UW when Sark was there so it’s a good fit for him.

I heard that same thing from one of my boys who worked with him at Nevada, that Donte & Mario bumped heads quite a bit because Mario likes to have total control of how things are done from a recruiting standpoint & that Donte is a guy that you have to let him do his thing...

He also was a GA at UW when Sark was there so it’s a good fit for him.
Sounds like Mario is a bit of a grinder in terms of staff too. Will be interesting to monitor if he’s the guy here. Seems like that’s something that he really picked up from Saban. Means that you really have to hit on the hires or high turnover is no bueno.

IF/when Mario is named as HC here, he’ll probably bring his current CB’s coach at Oregon, Rod Chance.

Who’s originally from Ft. Lauderdale & played Football at STA.

Does Mario have a specific style of defense he likes or does he let the DC have the reigns?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back