2019-20 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

His numbers... kinda stink. Why him? Would love to know why the passed on Josh Morgan in favor of him. ****, I'll take the dude from Michigan over him.

Someone on the staff sees his potential. Of course, performance means more.
He does some things well like pick and pop off the ball screen. He also has a decent post up game. He is long and somewhat athletic.
The biggest thing he had in his favor were guards who feed him the ball in the post and off the pick and pop.
Our guards tend to over dribble on offense.

Advertisement
My current problem with transfers is that if I don't think you will have an impact on the team like Angel Rodriguez or Sheldon McClellan then I don't really get excited about transfers.
Since those two home runs, Miami has had three strikeouts and a single. McGusty played well but my expectations for him were probably too high.
I don't think the issue is with the player, the issue is with me because I have really high expectations for transfers which is really unfair.

As of today (4-12-20), we have two open scholarships and our track record has been atrocious, in terms of filling the class. I am still unclear as to whether or not all transfers are "immediately" eligible or whether you can choose (e.g. if we take a player with two more years and he hasn't had a redshirt, can we choose to redshirt him this year).

With that said, if we can take one transfer who MAY be immediately eligible, take Makhtar Gueye. He is a quality transfer and he looks a little like Kadji out there. Then you have him, Brooks and Walker (a year older). This would be a tremendous upgrade over what we had last year.

If we can choose a kid to sit out, take Colin Castleton and redshirt him. Make him a project and develop him. Try to get him ready for 2021-22.

The new transfer rules don't go into effect until next year, so unless you're a grad transfer or somehow get a waiver, you still have to sit.

As best I can tell, Gueye would be another sit one play one. Generally speaking I'm not a fan of those, but in this case, its probably smart to take one solely to balance the classes - right now, Gak is our only senior for the 20-21 season. That said, I'd take Hayden Koval over him any day, specifically because of Koval's rim protection: .4 blks/g v. 2.8 in roughly comparable minutes played.

Advertisement

And we are in contact with how many? How many are even considering coming here? I understand Miami's not the most prestigious program in terms of winning recently, but location wise Miami is in the top 1% of schools nationally. I mean I didn't really believe it until I started going to Miami, but Miami's campus life is just incredible. Even with that appeal if kids aren't coming here it has to be the coaching that's messing up somewhere.

And we are in contact with how many? How many are even considering coming here? I understand Miami's not the most prestigious program in terms of winning recently, but location wise Miami is in the top 1% of schools nationally. I mean I didn't really believe it until I started going to Miami, but Miami's campus life is just incredible. Even with that appeal if kids aren't coming here it has to be the coaching that's messing up somewhere.

I mean if I’m a big man who is immediately eligible for next year, I would definitely look at Miami. The team should be solid next year and playing time is definitely there. Who is the competition? Miller and Sam who are awful and Gak who can’t stay healthy? Walker for sure needs more minutes.

I mean if I’m a big man who is immediately eligible for next year, I would definitely look at Miami. The team should be solid next year and playing time is definitely there. Who is the competition? Miller and Sam who are awful and Gak who can’t stay healthy? Walker for sure needs more minutes.

Yeah literally all we need is a lob threat/dump off type big for our guards to pass to. Doesn't need to shoot 3s, just needs to be athletic and tall enough to be a vertical threat and shoot above 70% on FTs. Maybe be a deterrent on the defensive end. That might be a lot to ask but at least some of the guys in the portal could do that for us right? Maybe not a grad transfer considering we have Brooks eligible next year to do what I asked, but a guy who can play for two years after our bigs graduate. I have a friend who's in a class with Brooks and man he was enjoying last year, Miami is one of the better places in the country to sit out a year.

Advertisement
My current problem with transfers is that if I don't think you will have an impact on the team like Angel Rodriguez or Sheldon McClellan then I don't really get excited about transfers.
Since those two home runs, Miami has had three strikeouts and a single. McGusty played well but my expectations for him were probably too high.
I don't think the issue is with the player, the issue is with me because I have really high expectations for transfers which is really unfair.
Or Jack McLinton, or Trey McKinney-Jones, or Kenny Kadji, or Shane Larkin, or (before his personal problems), Malcolm Grant. Without the two you mentioned plus the guys I've listed ... just think where this program would have been/would be! It's hardly ideal but transfers have truly been this program's life blood.

Obviously we weren't interested. However:

7 foot, 260 and not quite the lumbering oaf like someone else around here. Didn't play much at Ttech, but a redshirt year might do him some good.

Advertisement
Given the nearly complete radio silence, it seems like the answer is 'no,' although I'm not sure where else their attention could possibly be right now.

I know they have offered some kids in the 2021 and 2022 class. I still want to see them sign two more players with those last two scholarships for this season.

Or Jack McLinton, or Trey McKinney-Jones, or Kenny Kadji, or Shane Larkin, or (before his personal problems), Malcolm Grant. Without the two you mentioned plus the guys I've listed ... just think where this program would have been/would be! It's hardly ideal but transfers have truly been this program's life blood.

When the staff hits on a transfer, it does change the program.
The last four guys have not moved the meter because 3 of them never played a game.
I don't see any meter movers available not in the over saturated transfer portal.

Last edited:

Let's see if Miami contact him as if they don't, it probably means they are done with their pursuit of transfers.

Advertisement

Let's see if Miami contact him as if they don't, it probably means they are done with their pursuit of transfers.

Doubt they will and I can't say I blame them, he doesn't fit the Larranaga mold at all. What position does he play? Doesn't shoot 3s so he can't be a wing or a small 4 like Amp, and he's too short to be a big.

Also looks like he's going to be a grad transfer, and I don't think they want that.

Last edited:

They won't. If L doesn't get any one else to come here and goes into next season with 2 open spots available, I say we bring out the pitchforks. Absolutely inexcusable for that to happen 3 straight seasons.

Still searching for transfers. I would rather see them bring in two high school bigs.
I really want to avoid another Michael Gilmore situation.

Advertisement
Back