2013 OT Denver Kirkland (Miami, Florida)

Thunderdome
Miami offer.

[video=youtube;_RgO7ayN67Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RgO7ayN67Y[/video]

Advertisement
He doesn't quite finish every block like Flowers. Would like to see him finish every one, but he does maul fools out there.

Love the play at 2:00 how he just tosses the kid on the smoke screen.

And the play after that; him getting out in space and making a great black is great to see from a big man.

Looking for Gogeta's opinion here, but...

...that was not the most impressive video I've seen for an OL. He leaned throughout the entire video. He's almost obviously better suited to play inside. He doesn't anchor and looks like he's fairly raw. Was that video from this year? Anyone know if Booker T. has any coaches who are former OL? Will this dude camp somewhere?

Advertisement
Kid has an offer. I trust Golden and the staff. They see something they really like, if not, they wouldn't have offered him. By the way, kid will be highly ranked in the 2013 class. Likely a 4* recruit.

Kid has an offer. I trust Golden and the staff. They see something they really like, if not, they wouldn't have offered him. By the way, kid will be highly ranked in the 2013 class. Likely a 4* recruit.

He's listed at 6' 4" nearly 290, has a good frame and is a nice athlete. I'm not surprised they and many others will see something. My comments sprung from having really high expectations pre-video and knowing he's supposedly going to be highly rated. Like I said, I defer to the more technical OL guys like Gogeta, but what stood out to me from that video was the lack of polish.

From the tape it's obvious his coaching isn't up to par. He's a grabber not a puncher when pass setting and as mentioned above he leans on people. What he does have is athleticism and a wide base. Watch isadora's tape than Kirkland and you will see that Denver needs to bend his knees more instead of bending at the waste hence causing that lean.

Extremely talented though and you can see it with him but like people said above he's just not being coached well enough. Seems like a bit of a project OL but hey, he's got a whole season of HS ball left who knows what improvements he'll make until then.

IMO he's a take though.

Advertisement
He clearly has a lot of the things you want from an OL from a talent standpoint. He is a raw talent. When you have a raw talent at the OL from Booker T Washington who will have numerous major bcs offers, that is a kid you need to take 10 times out of 10. He is definitely a guard, IMO. BTW has great talent coming in the next few classes and Miami needs to maintain the strong pipeline.

We got to remember that Ereck Flowers doesn't come around ever year (seeing his tape is messing with our perception of what an OL prospect will normally look like), I maintain that his Sr. season footage might be the most impressive OL tape I've ever seen from a HS prospect.

He clearly has a lot of the things you want from an OL from a talent standpoint. He is a raw talent. When you have a raw talent at the OL from Booker T Washington who will have numerous major bcs offers, that is a kid you need to take 10 times out of 10. He is definitely a guard, IMO. BTW has great talent coming in the next few classes and Miami needs to maintain the strong pipeline.

We got to remember that Ereck Flowers doesn't come around ever year (seeing his tape is messing with our perception of what an OL prospect will normally look like), I maintain that his Sr. season footage might be the most impressive OL tape I've ever seen from a HS prospect.

I'm upset at Miami-Dade coaching; not the kid really. Hence, why I asked (almost implicitly begged) if this kid will camp anywhere over the summer. Even (and especially) if you're a shrimp OL with little talent, you should anchor, bend at the knees and get a good punch. If a kid this size and with his athleticism is given a good foundation, the sky is the limit. Some Miami-Dade programs are cot**** lazy.

I'm upset at Miami-Dade coaching; not the kid really. Hence, why I asked (almost implicitly begged) if this kid will camp anywhere over the summer. Even (and especially) if you're a shrimp OL with little talent, you should anchor, bend at the knees and get a good punch. If a kid this size and with his athleticism is given a good foundation, the sky is the limit. Some Miami-Dade programs are cot**** lazy.

Definitely agree

Advertisement
He'll need to red shirt, hopefully our depth holds up and allows it (assuming we get him). A year of just lifting, eating right, and learning will help him immensley.

And ditto on the leaning. He needs to spend a month jdoing nothing but pushing a sled back and forth to work that crap out.

And ditto on the leaning. He needs to spend a month jdoing nothing but pushing a sled back and forth to work that crap out.

No what he needs to do is duck walk everyday and work push /pull drills. Any good defensive lineman will "throw him out of the window" when's he leans like that. Regardless he has alot of natural talent and we should be happy to have him if he commits. I don't care what people on these boards think about Kehoe, the guy could turn this kid into a real mauler. The man can coach.

Advertisement
I don't think Kehoe's coaching was much of an issue, more the recruiting or lack thereof.

Agree with Lu and co. about Kirkland's tendency to lean, but you can't coach that kind of power. Love his frame, too, naturally big-boned and bottom heavy but not fat. We're hurting at guard and this guy has road-grader potential.

Last edited:
need to get him. alot of the BTW kids showing early interest in FSU. we got to cut that **** off at the foot.

Advertisement
Back