2012 Recruiting Thread

Advertisement
Miami Hurricanes coach Al Golden makes an effort to get to know Palm Beach County coaches

Feb. 13, 2011

CORAL GABLES â€â€￾ National signing day may have been last week, but University of Miami coach Al Golden isn't done recruiting.

This time, Golden is pursuing high school coaches, not players.

Launching a public relations offensive known as the "Golden Greet," UM has set up socials for coaches in Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade Counties to meet with the Hurricanes' new mentor. The initiative is part of Golden's plans to strengthen bonds that might have been frayed during Randy Shannon's final season as UM coach.

"We've got to get back to developing and improving our relationships with the high school coaches," Golden said.

Around 100 coaches in Miami-Dade County met with Golden last Thursday night, sharing hors d'oeuvres and small talk before heading to the BankUnited Center where they watched the Hurricanes' basketball game against Georgia Tech. Palm Beach County coaches have been invited for a similar gathering on Feb. 20 while Broward County coaches are set to visit on March 2.

"I felt real comfortable down there again where you can go visit and know you'll get the help you need as a high school coach," Miami LaSalle coach Willie Trimmer told CaneSport.com. "They're definitely on the right track there."

Some local coaches felt UM fell off the track recently, all but ignoring their schools and athletes.

At Dwyer, the Hurricanes' presence was nearly non-existent despite the school's Big 3 prospects this year - quarterback Jacoby Brissett, tight end Nick O'Leary and linebacker Curt Maggitt.

Dwyer coach Jack Daniels told WQAM this week that he had a good relationship with Shannon "but they didn't do a great job of recruiting our school."

Daniels said that UM showed interest in O'Leary, one of the nation's top recruits who eventually signed with Florida State, "but as far as Curt Maggitt and Jacoby, there wasn't any interest at all," Daniels said. "It was kind of surprising on my part." Maggitt ended up signing with Tennessee.

Miami's lack of attention may have ended up costing the 'Canes the services of Brissett. After Golden was hired in mid-December, he began courting Brissett with little success initially. Golden said that Brissett was upset that UM had not previously recruited him.

By the time Brissett agreed to meet with Golden, only two weeks were left on the recruiting calendar. Despite the urges from Brissett's mother, who wanted her son to attend Miami, Brissett signed with Florida on Monday.

UM currently has four players from Palm Beach County on its roster, which includes senior wide receiver Travis Benjamin from Glades Central, and the Hurricanes have done well with Palm Beach-area players in the past. But UM failed to sign a single player from the county to this year's 16-man recruiting class.

Said former Glades Central coach Jessie Hester, who was fired in December after three years coaching the Belle Glade school: "Being so close, you would think that they would be really bombarding schools in this area, but they definitely didn't do that. That definitely wasn't a premium on their part."

But it wasn't just Palm Beach County players who may have felt ignored.

Miami Central, the state 6A champion, produced 17 Division I-A players, but received only one visit from a UM coach.

Despite arriving very late in the recruiting process, Golden managed to sign one Central player, getting cornerback Thomas Finnie to back out of his oral commitment with South Carolina and sign with UM.

At a news conference to announce the Hurricanes' recruiting class on Feb. 2, Golden apologized to South Florida high school coaches because "they just didn't know us."

Miami signed only five players combined from Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade Counties, which traditionally produces tons of Division I talent.

"That will never happen again at the University of Miami," Golden promised.

I think Golden will bring back the days of playing the best player regardless of classification. If two guys were the same you'd go for experience, but if we recruit a DE that is better than Vernon or Chick then one of those guys needs to come off the bench.

Advertisement
The more I read about Brown, the less likely it seems he'll end up a Cane. Really sucks because I think the kid has a chance to be a monster at the next level. I just hope we can hang on to Kirby and the other LB's.

I think Golden will bring back the days of playing the best player regardless of classification. If two guys were the same you'd go for experience, but if we recruit a DE that is better than Vernon or Chick then one of those guys needs to come off the bench.

I'm trying to think of a time when it hasn't been this way.

Tracking The Commitments: How they're performing

CaneSport.com Staff

LB James Burgess, Homestead
Team record: 4-6
Last result: 20-10 win vs. South Dade
Game Statistics: Injured, Did not play
Season Statistics: 10 tackles, 4 carries for 8 yards and 1 TD 

QB Gray Crow, Countryside
Team record: 10-0
Last result: Bye
Season Statistics: 119-for-212, 1,601 yards, 12 TDs with 11 INTs

CB Vernon Davis, Coral Reef
Team record: 8-2
Last result: 49-0 win vs. Braddock
Game Statistics: 1 carry, 65 yards, 1 TD; 1 return, 1 TD
Season Statistics: 24 receptions, 386 yards, 3 TDs; 4 carries, 65 yards, 1 TD; 2 tackles, 2 INTs with 1 TD, 4 returns for TDs

QB Preston Dewey, St Andrew's (TX)
Team record: 3-7
Season Statistics: 42-for-70, 674 yards, 9 TDs with 2 INTs; 6 carries for 44 yards

WR Angelo Jean-Louis, Palm Beach Central
Team record: 7-3
Last result: 37-0 win vs. Palm Beach Lakes
Season Statistics: 3 rushing yards, 458 receiving yards, 7 TDs

RB Duke Johnson, Norland
Last result: 58-21 win vs. Krop
Game Statistics: 7 carries, 205 yards, 3 TDs
Season Statistics: 96 carries, 947 yards, 14 TDs; 5 receptions, 28 yards, 1 TD

LB Raphael Kirby, Stephenson (GA)
Team record: 9-1
Season Statistics: 108 tackles, 18.5 sacks, 1 INT

CB AJ Leggett, South Miami
Last result: 28-20 win vs. Varela
Game Statistics: 5 carries, 32 yards; 3-for-9, 92 yards, 1 INT
Season Statistics: 9 tackles, 74 carries for 428 yards, 4 TDs, 1 reception for 2 yards; 66-for-136 passing, 954 yards, 10 INTs

DT Earl Moore, Hillsborough
Last Result: 43-15 win vs. Chamberlain
Game Statistics: 5 tackles
Season Statistics: 39 tackles, 1 sack

DE Jake O'Donnell, Central Bucks East (PA)
Team record: 1-9
Season Statistics: 15 receptions, 193 yards, 1 TD; 40 tackles, 4.5 sacks

WR Herb Waters, Homestead
Game Statistics: 3 carries, 21 yards; 3 receptions, 13 yards
Season Statistics: 23 receptions for 372 yards and 4 TDs; 23 carries for 242 yards and 1 TD; 2-for-2, 61 yards; 16 punt returns, 550 yards; 2 kick returns and 1 TD; 7 tackles, 1 INT

Advertisement
****. Leggett had 10 picks. I thought he said people don't throw his way?

Hopefully he gets in for us because we're gonna need him next year.

Advertisement
Vernon Davis seems to be pretty explosive with the ball in his hands and is putting up some pretty nice stats. He might be a real gem.

I would think Duke would have more then 900 yards rushing considering every time I see his stat line he goes for 200+. Was he out a few games?

Advertisement
Tracking The Commitments: How they're performing

CaneSport.com Staff

LB James Burgess, Homestead
Game Statistics: Injured, Did not play
Season Statistics: 10 tackles, 4 carries for 8 yards and 1 TD 

QB Gray Crow, Countryside
Season Statistics: 119-for-212, 1,601 yards, 12 TDs with 11 INTs

CB Vernon Davis, Coral Reef
Last result: 49-0 win vs. Braddock
Game Statistics: 1 carry, 65 yards, 1 TD; 1 return, 1 TD
Season Statistics: 24 receptions, 386 yards, 3 TDs; 4 carries, 65 yards, 1 TD; 2 tackles, 2 INTs with 1 TD, 4 returns for TDs

QB Preston Dewey, St Andrew's (TX)
Team record: 3-7
Season Statistics: 42-for-70, 674 yards, 9 TDs with 2 INTs; 6 carries for 44 yards

WR Angelo Jean-Louis, Palm Beach Central
Team record: 7-3
Last result: 37-0 win vs. Palm Beach Lakes
Season Statistics: 3 rushing yards, 458 receiving yards, 7 TDs

RB Duke Johnson, Norland
Last result: 58-21 win vs. Krop
Game Statistics: 7 carries, 205 yards, 3 TDs
Season Statistics: 96 carries, 947 yards, 14 TDs; 5 receptions, 28 yards, 1 TD

LB Raphael Kirby, Stephenson (GA)
Team record: 9-1
Season Statistics: 108 tackles, 18.5 sacks, 1 INT

CB AJ Leggett, South Miami
Last result: 28-20 win vs. Varela
Game Statistics: 5 carries, 32 yards; 3-for-9, 92 yards, 1 INT
Season Statistics: 9 tackles, 74 carries for 428 yards, 4 TDs, 1 reception for 2 yards; 66-for-136 passing, 954 yards, 10 INTs

DT Earl Moore, Hillsborough
Last Result: 43-15 win vs. Chamberlain
Game Statistics: 5 tackles
Season Statistics: 39 tackles, 1 sack

DE Jake O'Donnell, Central Bucks East (PA)
Team record: 1-9
Season Statistics: 15 receptions, 193 yards, 1 TD; 40 tackles, 4.5 sacks

WR Herb Waters, Homestead
Game Statistics: 3 carries, 21 yards; 3 receptions, 13 yards
Season Statistics: 23 receptions for 372 yards and 4 TDs; 23 carries for 242 yards and 1 TD; 2-for-2, 61 yards; 16 punt returns, 550 yards; 2 kick returns and 1 TD; 7 tackles, 1 INT

Not sure, but probably not a good idea to continue to copy paste stuff from the premium area of another site.

Not sure, but probably not a good idea to continue to copy paste stuff from the premium area of another site.

This ain't grassy. Keeps the members of this board well-informed, so there can be intelligent discussion about FACTS.
Enjoy the info.

Last edited:

This ain't grassy. Keeps the members of this board well-informed, so there can be intelligent discussion about FACTS.
Enjoy the info.

That's not my point... There are legal issues to posting premium information.

Advertisement
Back