2012 Recruiting Thread

2012 Safety Gerald Bowman has MIAMI in his top five

By Scott Kennedy
Director of Scouting
Posted Nov 9, 2011

LA Pierce sophomore safety Gerald Bowman (6'1/210) is one of the most heavily recruited players in the country if not the most heavily recruited junior college player in the country. See his latest video and his Top 5 inside.

Follow ScoutKennedy on Twitter

LA Pierce sophomore safety Gerald Bowman (6'1/210) is one of the most heavily recruited players in the country if not the most heavily recruited junior college player in the country. A hard hitting strong safety, Bowman has always been physical at the point of attack and has terrific closing speed on a ball carrier.

Where he's made his improvements as a sophomore are in his backpedal and hip turn making him a better defender against the pass. While he's more likely to separate the ball from a receiver than cover him like a blanket, the point is, Bowman has worked on his pass defense to get himself into a
"If that's not a 5-Star safety, what does one look like?"
good position while maintaining his enforcer role at strong safety.

Bowman currently lists a Top 5 of USC, Oklahoma, Miami, Oregon, and Arizona State. He has already taken official visits to Oklahoma and Cal and is in the process of setting up three remaining trips among his Top 5 with USC likely to be an unofficial because of proximity to Pierce.

There aren't currently any 5-Star Junior College players on Scout. Several are in contention including East Mississippi defensive end Denico Autry (6-5/250), Hutchinson wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson (6'4/205), and Bowman.

While the odds are long on a 2-year Junior College player becoming an All-American on the Division 1 level, as I watch Bowman play, I find that I'm asking myself "If that's not a 5-Star safety, what does one look like?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkGVE63f14

Advertisement
I thought we would redshirt Dewey considering the injury he recently suffered.

With Williams and Morris fighting for the No. 1 job, I'd expect Dewey will redshirt. We'd have to have an injury above him for him to play, IMO.

Good post.

David Thompson isn't 6'1", he is 5'10" at best. He was at UVA game, to short to play QB at UM. Is he definitely playing football?

Isn't Thompson supposed to be a high MLB draft pick kid? Either he just goes pro, or his No.1 sport at UM is baseball.

Possible sanctions would cause Norland LB Keith Brown to sign elsewhere.

Miami Norland High School LB Keith Brown took an official visit to Illinois this past weekend with a couple of teammates - his brother, Lamar Atkins, and Teko Powell.

"It was a real good visit," Brown said. "I enjoyed myself."

Brown says it remains a two-horse race though, with the Canes battling Clemson. Brown says he's still a UM soft verbal commitment, and he is in the process of choosing the location for his final official visit - it's between Georgia, LSU and Arkansas. He's not visiting Miami officially because he's already visited numerous times unofficially.

Brown says he plans to either firm up his UM commitment or pick a new school in the first week of December, since he's graduating early.

"If they haven't announced sanctions by then I most likely won't go to Miami," Brown said.

Asked why that is, he said, "It's not me, it's my parents. They don't want me in that situation."

Brown says it would be painful to be split up from his teammates that are also committed to the Canes, but that "we all have cell phones so we can keep in touch."

Brown says he speaks every week with Cane coaches Micheal Barrow and Al Golden.

"I talk to a lot of the coaches when we talk," he said. "Coach Golden - he's a real cool dude. He's there for his players. He stresses to me every week that he doesn't want me to go anywhere, that he needs me on the field.

"Coach Barrow - he's a cool dude. He's like a mentor, helps keep me on the right path."

* Brown caught the second half of the UM-FSU game on TV and says how the Canes performed doesn't affect his recruitment.

"No, that doesn't matter," he said. "You can see that just gives you a better of picture of whether you can come in and play."

Canesport

Advertisement
Who's the JuCo DB that was from Norland, but I think he's either in Cali or Arizona right now? I think he's a corner. I wish I knew buddy's name.

Any news on him?

2012 Prospect Travell Dixon (DB) JUCO

Dixon looking at the Southeast

In 2008, Travell Dixon led Miami-Dade County with seven interceptions while playing at Norland (Miami, Fla.) H.S.

The 6-2 cornerback didn't qualify coming out of high school and spent a year out of football before resurfacing at Eastern Arizona College (Thatcher, Ariz.) where he finished his freshman season with 25 tackles and two interceptions.

Now Dixon is finding himself as one of the top-rated juco defensive backs in the nation and has the chance to play major football back in the Southeast.

"I'm out here on the West Coast doing the things I need to do," Dixon said. "And I'm definitely hoping to get back to the Southeast to play but we'll see what happens."

Dixon has already taken unofficial visits to Miami and Alabama and plans to take all five of his officials this fall.

"I talked with Coach [Nick] Saban and the whole staff at Alabama," Dixon said. "They like me because I'm a big, physical cornerback and they told me about their track record with junior college players."

Dixon's interest in Miami is no surprise and even the Hurricanes' current issues with the NCAA would not stop him from returning to his hometown school.

"That wouldn't play a role at all for me because UM is always going to be a school that means something to me," Dixon added. "I love their coaches and their staff, it's close to family.

"I don't really think about all that other stuff."

Dixon said that several schools are in line for official visits. He is working on taking a visit to Cal this weekend and said that he is planning on visiting Alabama and Texas A&M in November. Florida State is also a possibility for Dixon.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u55LHCP5FU

Advertisement
2012 MIAMI commit Amos Leggett wants to visit Nebraska

By Bryan Munson
BigRedReport.com
Posted Nov 13, 2011

Nebraska is turning up the heat around the nation looking for a cornerback or two to join the 2011-2012 recruiting class. The Huskers are looking in California and they are also looking in Florida. This cornerback has been considered a commitment for months now to a school and now it seems he might look around. The Huskers should get a visit.

High School playoffs are in full swing and Miami (Flor.) South have a game this Thursday. A.J. Leggett, a cornerback, doesn’t have the stats that indicate that he’s had a great season, but he’s doing his part because teams don’t challenge him at all.

“We’re doing good,” Leggett said. “We are in the playoffs. We have a playoff game this Thursday. I knew that my senior year that I wouldn’t get thrown at a lot. I only have one pick on the season.

“I just don’t get thrown at a lot. We do a lot of different things too so I get a chance to work in man to man and also go into a little cover two and I will work in some zone.”

Leggett has been a Miami commitment on and off now for about a year and solid for the last nine months. Now Leggett is talking about taking some trips and one school he wants to see will be Nebraska.

“I have been committed to Miami for a while now, but I am going to take some more visits. I am going to take a trip to Nebraska. I don’t have that visit set up yet. I will talk to him about it next time I talk to him.”

The Huskers are a team that has just emerged for Leggett who says that the type of defense and how the defense has played this year really caught his eye. He likes what Nebraska is all about.

“I haven’t been there before and I am very interested in seeing what they are all about. I see they play tough football. Nebraska wasn’t really a top school for me, but they have stood out to me this year.”

Besides Nebraska, Leggett is also looking at taking trips to a few other schools as well. Like Nebraska those other trips are just being thrown around and he doesn’t have anything set up yet.

“I would say that I would take another trip to Florida State and probably LSU. I would like to see Ohio State too. I don’t have those visits set up yet either.”

Last edited:
Lakeland's Ricquan Southward Commits to University of Miami

By Ray Beasock
The Ledger
Published: Sunday, November 6, 2011 at 11:57 p.m.
Last Modified: Sunday, November 6, 2011 at 11:57 p.m.

LAKELAND | Dreadnaughts' star wide receiver Ricquan Southward is taking his talents South â€â€￾ literally.
Enlarge | Buy Photo

Lakeland's Ricquan Southward holds the school record for yards receiving and catches in a game. He set the mark in October.
RICK RUNION | THE LEDGER

The senior verbally committed to the University of Miami late Sunday.

"I went down Saturday for the Duke game and I really liked the program," Southward said. "It's close to home and it's a good environment."

Miami won the in-state battle for Southward over Florida and Florida State. Southward visited both schools and is still planning on visiting Ohio State.

"All the offers really just started to roll in a few weeks ago," Southward added. "My first contact was from OSU and I still want to go visit."

A few weeks ago, the game-changing Southward broke the Lakeland High School record for receptions and receiving yards in a game. He credits that game to the offers he's received.

Miami might be a tough place to go and play with all the recent improper benefit allegations. That doesn't bother Southward.

"I had to discus that with my Mom," he said. "I'm going in to get a good education and play football. They want me to come in and work hard. Hopefully (I'll) get a lot of playing time as a freshman.

"I can really see myself in that offense and even pursuing a career after college."

Southward was recruited by defensive line coach Jethro Franklin.

His skills are being cultivated by Will Bahler, the Lakeland receivers coach.

"I'm happy for him. Ever since they saw his tape, they've been full-go on him," Bahler said. "Once his highlight tape was getting out to the colleges they've (Miami) been on him, probably harder than anybody. Ohio State and Miami have been recruiting him the most.

"He's definitely is excited about it. He didn't want it to be a distraction for this year."

Southward ranks third in the county in receiving yards this season with 678 and has six touchdown receptions. He also is a dangerous return man.

New video: http://vimeo.com/30317915

By Dave Hooker
Five-star DT Eddie Goldman's recruitment has slowed considerably.

While Goldman, No. 2 in the ESPNU 150, once talked about taking several official visits, there are none scheduled.

“Nothing definite,â€Â￾ said Goldman's mother, Sharon Davis, on Monday.

Davis said her son would like to take an official visit to Auburn but that the two have to work it around ACT testing. High school football won't be a concern anymore as Washington (D.C.) Friendship finished its season last week.

At one point last month, Goldman said he was considering an official visit to Alabama. Now that seems less likely.

Florida State's position with Goldman seems more solid with each bit of rare news from him and his family. Goldman took his official visit to Tallahassee in September and spoke glowingly of the trip.

"They are definitely on the rise," Goldman said after he was officially named to the Under Armour All-America Game. "They have the No. 1 quarterback (Jameis Winston), and their defensive line recruiting is through the roof."

Asked then whether any other school has stood out as much as Florida State, Goldman said, "Recruiting-wise, not really, but Florida State, they really have a good recruiting class."

Goldman has said he's also considering California, Maryland, Miami and Clemson, but it looks like the Seminoles may be tough to beat.

Advertisement
At the opening press conference last year, AG referenced that lack of top 100 state players committed. I think we had 3 of the top hundred in Fla. At this point right now, according to TOS rankings (couldn't find state ranks on Scout), we currently have 14 in the top 100 and are in the running for a few more.

Advertisement
Can we get a separate recruiting board instead of just one thread?

Some of the recruiting talk gets lost here..

2012 DB Cre'von Leblanc from Belle Glade

LeBlanc is an impressive athlete as a perimeter player on defense despite the fact that he really lacks ideal size and strength. He is undersized, but scrappy and competitive. Is a better coverage player than he is run support guy likely due to his lack of measurables and play strength. Reads the quarterback well and understands zone concepts. Does a great job anticipating the pass and jumping routes. Transitions quickly out of his pedal with little wasted motion and very good burst. Closes the cushion hard and fast. Makes solid contact and limits yards after the catch. He is physical and not afraid to step up hard on both perimeter run and pass support. Shows he can jam in press or mirror with above average hip-fluidity and foot-quickness in off-man coverages. Shows good recovery burst. While a solid tackler and aggressive in coverage; his current style is a bit of a concern when projecting for the next level due to his marginal size. LeBlanc lunges far too much and is not a good, consistent wrap-up tackler that breaks down in space. He dives low and makes a lot of shoe string tackles. He is willing and will insert, but packs little punch and could get overpowered as a tackler at the point of attack. Size limits his ability to match-up with the games bigger receivers and could get picked on in the red area. All of his movement skills and reactive athleticism is sound and he plays hard. Shows savvy and instincts, but size will be his main limitation. Looks to have good speed, not elite; very quick in a short area. Good prospect that is likely flying under the radar a bit.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9CavbHINGk

Last edited:
2012 DB Cre'von Leblanc from Belle Glade

LeBlanc is an impressive athlete as a perimeter player on defense despite the fact that he really lacks ideal size and strength. He is undersized, but scrappy and competitive. Is a better coverage player than he is run support guy likely due to his lack of measurables and play strength. Reads the quarterback well and understands zone concepts. Does a great job anticipating the pass and jumping routes. Transitions quickly out of his pedal with little wasted motion and very good burst. Closes the cushion hard and fast. Makes solid contact and limits yards after the catch. He is physical and not afraid to step up hard on both perimeter run and pass support. Shows he can jam in press or mirror with above average hip-fluidity and foot-quickness in off-man coverages. Shows good recovery burst. While a solid tackler and aggressive in coverage; his current style is a bit of a concern when projecting for the next level due to his marginal size. LeBlanc lunges far too much and is not a good, consistent wrap-up tackler that breaks down in space. He dives low and makes a lot of shoe string tackles. He is willing and will insert, but packs little punch and could get overpowered as a tackler at the point of attack. Size limits his ability to match-up with the games bigger receivers and could get picked on in the red area. All of his movement skills and reactive athleticism is sound and he plays hard. Shows savvy and instincts, but size will be his main limitation. Looks to have good speed, not elite; very quick in a short area. Good prospect that is likely flying under the radar a bit.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9CavbHINGk

Are we recruiting this kid?

Advertisement
Back