1st half Offense vs 2nd half Offense

It seems like Richt doesn't trust the OL near the goalline. He'll sneak it which is about surprise, but doesn't want to line up and run because they'll be expecting that. And I wonder if some of these passes to short guys are about thinking the D won't expect you to do it? Seems like that's the only thing he tried to do with Berrios last year.

Maybe he should trust Homer more. The guy was averaging 8 YPC in the first half (more in the second). The guy converted first downs on 5 of 9 carries (in the first half). Give the guy a shot. The one time he got the ball in the red-zone in the first half (the passing play) he caught it and scored a TD. He runs hard, he runs fast.

I think he needs to stick to what is working, GT wasn't/isn't stopping Homer.

Syracuse won't either.

Advertisement
well his playcalling has not been very good since he got to UM. Granted he is getting better but not much imagination. It took him nearly to midseason last year before he got in sync with Kaaya and then they started winning. Maybe that was Kaaya's fault but the kid seemed to regress under Richt. At least that's the way I see it. As for FSU success, You may be giving Richt a lot of credit that maybe belongs to Bowden.

"Richt was promoted to offensive coordinator in 1994 upon the departure of Brad Scott. Under Richt, Florida State had one of college football's most explosive offenses. In his seven years as offensive coordinator, the Seminoles ranked in the nation’s top five scoring offenses for five seasons, they were top twelve in total offense for five seasons, and top twelve in passing offense for five seasons. Richt coached two Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks: Charlie Ward and Chris Weinke. Richt coached a total of six FSU quarterbacks to the NFL, including Ward, Weinke, Brad Johnson (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Danny Kanell (New York Giants), Danny McManus (Kansas City Chiefs) and Peter Tom Willis (Chicago Bears). During this period, FSU won two national championships (1993 and 1999).[7] During this time, Richt won two national championships.

University of Georgia (2001–2015)
Richt was hired as head coach of the Georgia Bulldogs before the 2001 season, replacing Jim Donnan. Richt's teams won two Southeastern Conference (SEC) championships (2002 and 2005), six SEC Eastern Division titles (2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011 and 2012), and nine bowl games."

They made Mike Bobo OC at UGA in 2007, and never won the SEC again. Mark Richt only ever got the chance to become a great head coach because he was a great OC.

Maybe you're speaking in generalizations because you're unable to offer specifics. Has every play call been perfect? No. But I think perhaps many of you are placing the blame for plays that don't work on the play call of a man who's been calling plays for the better part of the last 25 years with massive successes at two major universities in the two toughest conferences in the entire NCAA rather than the execution of those plays of the people who have been doing it for 5 games.

Like it or not, Richt didn't call "Throw it to Harley on 2." Other players were on the field and other receivers were running routes, but Rosier picked Harley and threw him what I thought was a 50/50 ball that Harley had a decent shot to come down with. Ain't a **** thing wrong with that play call if Harley makes the catch.

spot on, brother.

"Richt was promoted to offensive coordinator in 1994 upon the departure of Brad Scott. Under Richt, Florida State had one of college football's most explosive offenses. In his seven years as offensive coordinator, the Seminoles ranked in the nation’s top five scoring offenses for five seasons, they were top twelve in total offense for five seasons, and top twelve in passing offense for five seasons. Richt coached two Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks: Charlie Ward and Chris Weinke. Richt coached a total of six FSU quarterbacks to the NFL, including Ward, Weinke, Brad Johnson (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Danny Kanell (New York Giants), Danny McManus (Kansas City Chiefs) and Peter Tom Willis (Chicago Bears). During this period, FSU won two national championships (1993 and 1999).[7] During this time, Richt won two national championships.

Richt was hired as head coach of the Georgia Bulldogs before the 2001 season, replacing Jim Donnan. Richt's teams won two Southeastern Conference (SEC) championships (2002 and 2005), six SEC Eastern Division titles (2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011 and 2012), and nine bowl games."

They made Mike Bobo OC at UGA in 2007, and never won the SEC again. Mark Richt only ever got the chance to become a great head coach because he was a great OC.

Also coached Weldon to runner-up for Heisman at FSU.

Advertisement

I used to run eight miles (four miles up, four miles down) with boots and full field uniform on without stopping - every morning.

Doesn't mean I can do it now.

Anyone recall last October?

Why go through the trouble of quoting me if you're just going to make some asinine analogy that really doesn't even come close to addressing the substance of the quote. If you're having trouble, let me simplify it for you: The greatest period of sustained offensive production in the history of Florida State football came while Mark Richt was OC. The greatest period of sustained offensive production in the history of UGA came while Mark Richt was HC and calling his own plays. This remains true regardless of how far you can run.

But he hasn't called plays in years. And you should have been here last October.

That's my point.

Mark.

the body goes way before the mind. Poor analogy..

Says someone just looking for a reason to spell anal.

It seems like Richt doesn't trust the OL near the goalline. He'll sneak it which is about surprise, but doesn't want to line up and run because they'll be expecting that. And I wonder if some of these passes to short guys are about thinking the D won't expect you to do it? Seems like that's the only thing he tried to do with Berrios last year.

Maybe he should trust Homer more. The guy was averaging 8 YPC in the first half (more in the second). The guy converted first downs on 5 of 9 carries (in the first half). Give the guy a shot. The one time he got the ball in the red-zone in the first half (the passing play) he caught it and scored a TD. He runs hard, he runs fast.

I think he needs to stick to what is working, GT wasn't/isn't stopping Homer.

Syracuse won't either.

Agreed.

Advertisement
Back