1st half Offense vs 2nd half Offense

Advertisement
We started the Tech game 0-9 passing.

Where does this stat come from?

He didn’t complete a pass through the first quarter

So you're saying he was 0-9?

I think he clearly said we didn't complete a pass the entire first quarter. I said he started 0-9. I was mistaken. It was 0-4 in the first including a sack and 3 QB runs. We began the game 3-10 before Rosier settled down on the TD drive that ended the half and finished 9-17. in the first half Rosier targeted Herndon 3 times.

Are you trying to challenge the general premise set forth, that our first half struggles correlate with Rosier's accuracy woes rather than the play calling, or did you just want to nit-pick a number?

Advertisement
We started the Tech game 0-9 passing.

I think he clearly said we didn't complete a pass the entire first quarter. I said he started 0-9. I was mistaken. It was 0-4 in the first including a sack and 3 QB runs. We began the game 3-10 before Rosier settled down on the TD drive that ended the half and finished 9-17. in the first half Rosier targeted Herndon 3 times.

Are you trying to challenge the general premise set forth, that our first half struggles correlate with Rosier's accuracy woes rather than the play calling, or did you just want to nit-pick a number?

I wasn't responding to you when I posted that. I was responding to KCF. Let him talk.

I had a full response to his original post and he only responded to a tiny part. If you want to continue talk for him, the post is below.

The playcalling didn’t change. Rosier started this game like 0-9 passing.

A few things:

1. He was 3 of 9 to start the game (see the first 9 passes below). He then went 6 for 8 in the remainder of the half. We scored 6 points when he went 3 for 9, we scored 6 points when he went 6 for 8.

2. Let's not forget 3 of 9 were (all incomplete passes) horrible personnel/play-calling decisions. These were routes in the end-zone to players that had no business receiving those plays (i.e. players under 5'11) especially when you have Langham.

3. You know what was working, but for some reason we stopped when it mattered, was the run game with Homer. He had 9 carries for 81 yards (9 YPC).

(14:07 - 1st) Travis Homer run for 11 yds to the MiaFl 15
(10:38 - 1st) Travis Homer run for 11 yds to the GTech 34 for a 1ST down
(9:31 - 1st) Travis Homer run for 12 yds to the GTech 20 for a 1ST down
(13:15 - 2nd) Travis Homer run for 1 yd to the MiaFl 33
(12:48 - 2nd) Travis Homer run for 2 yds to the MiaFl 35 for a 1ST down
(11:47 - 2nd) Travis Homer run for 32 yds to the GTech 20 for a 1ST down
(4:48 - 2nd) Travis Homer run for 6 yds to the MiaFl 18
(1:52 - 2nd) Travis Homer run for 2 yds to the MiaFl 25
(1:04 - 2nd) Travis Homer run for 4 yds to the MiaFl 36 for a 1ST down

Miami ran 9 plays in the red-zone in the first half.

- 2 of the 9 plays were FGs
- 2 of the 9 plays were running plays, neither were to Homer.
- 1 of the 9 plays was a TD. The TD was a pass to Homer.

---------------------------

First 9 Passes Below (Georgia Tech vs. Miami - Play-By-Play - October 14, 2017 - ESPN)

(10:47 - 1st) Malik Rosier pass incomplete to Christopher Herndon IV, broken up by Brant Mitchell
(8:20 - 1st) Malik Rosier pass incomplete to Mike Harley, broken up by Lance Austin
(8:14 - 1st) Malik Rosier pass incomplete to Dionte Mullins

(3:21 - 1st) Malik Rosier pass incomplete to Lawrence Cager
(14:14 - 2nd) Malik Rosier pass complete to Braxton Berrios for 11 yds to the MiaFl 24 for a 1ST down
(13:42 - 2nd) Malik Rosier pass complete to Jeff Thomas for 8 yds to the MiaFl 32
(12:17 - 2nd) Malik Rosier pass incomplete to Mike Harley
(10:15 - 2nd) Malik Rosier pass incomplete to Mike Harley
(5:21 - 2nd) Malik Rosier pass complete to Travis Homer for 1 yd to the MiaFl 12

"Richt was promoted to offensive coordinator in 1994 upon the departure of Brad Scott. Under Richt, Florida State had one of college football's most explosive offenses. In his seven years as offensive coordinator, the Seminoles ranked in the nation’s top five scoring offenses for five seasons, they were top twelve in total offense for five seasons, and top twelve in passing offense for five seasons. Richt coached two Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks: Charlie Ward and Chris Weinke. Richt coached a total of six FSU quarterbacks to the NFL, including Ward, Weinke, Brad Johnson (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Danny Kanell (New York Giants), Danny McManus (Kansas City Chiefs) and Peter Tom Willis (Chicago Bears). During this period, FSU won two national championships (1993 and 1999).[7] During this time, Richt won two national championships.

University of Georgia (2001–2015)
Richt was hired as head coach of the Georgia Bulldogs before the 2001 season, replacing Jim Donnan. Richt's teams won two Southeastern Conference (SEC) championships (2002 and 2005), six SEC Eastern Division titles (2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011 and 2012), and nine bowl games."

They made Mike Bobo OC at UGA in 2007, and never won the SEC again. Mark Richt only ever got the chance to become a great head coach because he was a great OC.

I used to run eight miles (four miles up, four miles down) with boots and full field uniform on without stopping - every morning.

Doesn't mean I can do it now.

Anyone recall last October?

Why go through the trouble of quoting me if you're just going to make some asinine analogy that really doesn't even come close to addressing the substance of the quote. If you're having trouble, let me simplify it for you: The greatest period of sustained offensive production in the history of Florida State football came while Mark Richt was OC. The greatest period of sustained offensive production in the history of UGA came while Mark Richt was HC and calling his own plays. This remains true regardless of how far you can run.

But he hasn't called plays in years. And you should have been here last October.

That's my point.

Mark.

"Richt was promoted to offensive coordinator in 1994 upon the departure of Brad Scott. Under Richt, Florida State had one of college football's most explosive offenses. In his seven years as offensive coordinator, the Seminoles ranked in the nation’s top five scoring offenses for five seasons, they were top twelve in total offense for five seasons, and top twelve in passing offense for five seasons. Richt coached two Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks: Charlie Ward and Chris Weinke. Richt coached a total of six FSU quarterbacks to the NFL, including Ward, Weinke, Brad Johnson (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Danny Kanell (New York Giants), Danny McManus (Kansas City Chiefs) and Peter Tom Willis (Chicago Bears). During this period, FSU won two national championships (1993 and 1999).[7] During this time, Richt won two national championships.

Richt was hired as head coach of the Georgia Bulldogs before the 2001 season, replacing Jim Donnan. Richt's teams won two Southeastern Conference (SEC) championships (2002 and 2005), six SEC Eastern Division titles (2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011 and 2012), and nine bowl games."

They made Mike Bobo OC at UGA in 2007, and never won the SEC again. Mark Richt only ever got the chance to become a great head coach because he was a great OC.

I used to run eight miles (four miles up, four miles down) with boots and full field uniform on without stopping - every morning.

False equivalency.. physical deterioration is not on par with mental deterioration, and your lack of motivation to continue progressing is not a quality that Richt shares with you.

You should have been here last October as well.

It was bad.

Real bad.

you're on a real roll today

we had nearly 500 yards offense, malik had some terrible fade throws in the endzone or we would have scored another two touchdowns. offense after the first quarter played well

Advertisement

I wasn't responding to you when I posted that. I was responding to KCF. Let him talk.

I had a full response to his original post and he only responded to a tiny part. If you want to continue talk for him, the post is below.

A few things:

1. He was 3 of 9 to start the game (see the first 9 passes below). He then went 6 for 8 in the remainder of the half. We scored 6 points when he went 3 for 9, we scored 6 points when he went 6 for 8.

2. Let's not forget 3 of 9 were (all incomplete passes) horrible personnel/play-calling decisions. These were routes in the end-zone to players that had no business receiving those plays (i.e. players under 5'11) especially when you have Langham.

3. You know what was working, but for some reason we stopped when it mattered, was the run game with Homer. He had 9 carries for 81 yards (9 YPC).

First 9 Passes Below (Georgia Tech vs. Miami - Play-By-Play - October 14, 2017 - ESPN)

(10:47 - 1st) Malik Rosier pass incomplete to Christopher Herndon IV, broken up by Brant Mitchell
(8:20 - 1st) Malik Rosier pass incomplete to Mike Harley, broken up by Lance Austin

(14:14 - 2nd) Malik Rosier pass complete to Braxton Berrios for 11 yds to the MiaFl 24 for a 1ST down
(13:42 - 2nd) Malik Rosier pass complete to Jeff Thomas for 8 yds to the MiaFl 32
(5:21 - 2nd) Malik Rosier pass complete to Travis Homer for 1 yd to the MiaFl 12

Gladly. Travis Homer's success in the run game, and to a large extent Rosier's as well, between the 20's was largely due to Georgia Tech's choice to line up in mostly nickle with a 6 man box, corners 8-10 yards off, and safeties 12-14 yards deep. When we got to the red zone, short field compresses the defensive alignment and the secondary flattens out and, even though it isn't due to the design, you end up with more defenders closer to the line of scrimmage. This makes running the ball more difficult. It's not that we didn't try to run, we ran with Homer, Gray, Thomas, and Malik in the red zone on those first two drives that ended in field goals.

And unless you can point out that neither Cager, Herndon, nor Langham were on the field running routes, then the incomplete passes to Harley and Mullins are solely on Rosier's decision rather than the play design.

we had nearly 500 yards offense, malik had some terrible fade throws in the endzone or we would have scored another two touchdowns. offense after the first quarter played well

Dear God.

We have the talent. Superior talent - we get a lot better players than does GT. We SHOULD get lots of offensive yards - just with our talent.

The reason those fades didn't work so well - maybe a taller receiver should have been in the game. Ever think of that?

Sorry, but I'm not sold on the play calling right now.

I have some issues with Richt's play calling ,but its pretty clear that our offense improves ,not regresses in the second half. That trend has been consistent and we are 5-0.
With Ammon Richards in there both Malik and Richt look a lot better. We put together 2 great game ending drives in back to back games. Richt deserves plenty of credit for that.

Dear God.

We have the talent. Superior talent - we get a lot better players than does GT. We SHOULD get lots of offensive yards - just with our talent.

The reason those fades didn't work so well - maybe a taller receiver should have been in the game. Ever think of that?

Sorry, but I'm not sold on the play calling right now.

i agree with you in general, just saying I didn't have many complaints with the playcalling against GT and overall they played well. had malik played better in the first half i think we'd have nothing to complain about

other than the homer run on 3rd and 11 to set up the miracle play, we should have treated it like two down territory, running it there was risky

Advertisement
I just hate the drama of winning the game on fourth down, and having to rely on a tipped pass that our super-concentrating receiver was able to bring in - just to get us in winning field goal range.

My guts were churning.

And if Richt can put together two great game winning drives - why not do that the entire game?

I just hate the drama of winning the game on fourth down, and having to rely on a tipped pass that our super-concentrating receiver was able to bring in - just to get us in winning field goal range.

My guts were churning.

And if Richt can put together two great game winning drives - why not do that the entire game?

very true. we all hate...and love the drama (when it works) of the heroics

keepin mind we were in field goal range with a first and ten and then the worst call of the year occured and mullins got hit with a chop block call (against GT of all people)

that flag was pure bs and almost cost us our season. no heroics were needed on fourth down if that didn't get thrown

I'm just happy we make adjustments. Diaz adjustment to GT's new ripples he spoke of and then communicating that to the team and them effectively shutting out GT after that is most impressive coaching I've seen by a Miami coordinator in years

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have to say. When Manny goes into the locker room at the half he takes care of business. The defense usually comes out to play.

jimbo would disagree.

seriously though he does seem to get the d rolling after halftime adjustments. nice change from the last 10 yrs.

Advertisement

A few things:

Sooo we should get the ball to Homer and than run action off of it?

My guts were churning.

Speaking of, did anyone get a clip (no pun intended) of the illegal block below the waist that pushed us out of FG range on that last drive originally. I hate when they call a major penalty like that and don't show a replay.

well his playcalling has not been very good since he got to UM. Granted he is getting better but not much imagination. It took him nearly to midseason last year before he got in sync with Kaaya and then they started winning. Maybe that was Kaaya's fault but the kid seemed to regress under Richt. At least that's the way I see it. As for FSU success, You may be giving Richt a lot of credit that maybe belongs to Bowden.

A few things:

No one can explain why we move away from the run game when it’s working. Maybe he’s trying to conserve his back for the end of the game? Idk but it makes no ******* sense. How many drives did we have stall? Something is wrong with this offense. It’s not terrible but the potential is there to be one of the top offenses in the country. I think we hurt ourselves a lot with play calling.

Advertisement
Back