1st half Offense vs 2nd half Offense

Advertisement
Players are open in the first half, Rosier always seems to throw short, over throw, or don't see them. Second half he realizes this and start hitting those targets. That's the difference I see

Yeah, I don't know that it is generally a matter of playcalling, but more that the entire offense, from Rosier all the way down to the offensive line, has seemed to come out very tentative and tight the last two games, and it's causing a real lack of execution. We did pick it up a bit on the subsequent drive when we scored a field goal, but that opening drive we just seemed very slow and unsure of ourselves, and it was the same with the opening drive at FSU.

There has to be an easy way to get the offense in more of a rhythm, sooner. I might want to try some quick swing passes to Homer if it looks like there's a chance that could be there; get him out in space for some quick positive yardage.

We tried screens and swing passes against FSU. Rosier hit Sweat in the face twice and **** near took Walton's head off. I love Rosier, but I think CMR's eval after Saturday's game was spot on. Rosier is just a tad too amped up to start the game. Had a great start vs. Duke, but the last two he's let his nerves take over early. He'll get it fixed. Richt, IMO, has identified the problem and I fully expect it to be addressed this week.

I like how we just play straight up 1v1. I just wish we'd do less 4 verticals and more bubble screens so that teams creep up to the LOS to defend the bubble THEN you hit them with 4 vertical. Also to balance the route combination throw in some 4 curls when teams start playing deep and soft in threat of the 4 verticals.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I like how we just play straight up 1v1. I justdo wish we'd do less 4 verts and more bubble screens so that teams creep up to the LOS to defend the bubble THEN you hit them with 4 vertical.

Why go to the bubble when Homer is gashing those 6 man boxes? I mean, I'm not disagreeing with you as much as it may sound, but isn't one just as good as the other? GaTech should have brought an extra guy or two into the box to help out against the run, and they just never did. Well, I think they did once and Thomas got behind his man for about 70 yards. I could be wrong, but it seemed to me that Tech was okay allowing us to run it or chip away with the short passing game. They just refused to give up the big play. And that strategy ALMOST worked.

In fairness to Richt, I think Rosier is also missing alot more throws in the 1st half and then settling into the game once the pressure is on. Outside of not being a little more committed to the run at goalline, I have no real complaints about playcalling.

I'm hearing that the big difference between our 1st half & 2nd half offense is that. Richt allows Rosier to make audibles at the line during the first half, and during that 2nd half Richt severely hampers Rosier's play calling and calls set plays where he is not allowed to audible as much. Any internet coaches wanna chime in on this?

Also I was down on the field before the game Rosier is 5'11 at best, and Homer is much smaller than i thought, he runs 20 pounds bigger then what he is.

***** you little .. lol

Advertisement
"Richt was promoted to offensive coordinator in 1994 upon the departure of Brad Scott. Under Richt, Florida State had one of college football's most explosive offenses. In his seven years as offensive coordinator, the Seminoles ranked in the nation’s top five scoring offenses for five seasons, they were top twelve in total offense for five seasons, and top twelve in passing offense for five seasons. Richt coached two Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks: Charlie Ward and Chris Weinke. Richt coached a total of six FSU quarterbacks to the NFL, including Ward, Weinke, Brad Johnson (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Danny Kanell (New York Giants), Danny McManus (Kansas City Chiefs) and Peter Tom Willis (Chicago Bears). During this period, FSU won two national championships (1993 and 1999).[7] During this time, Richt won two national championships.

University of Georgia (2001–2015)
Richt was hired as head coach of the Georgia Bulldogs before the 2001 season, replacing Jim Donnan. Richt's teams won two Southeastern Conference (SEC) championships (2002 and 2005), six SEC Eastern Division titles (2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011 and 2012), and nine bowl games."

They made Mike Bobo OC at UGA in 2007, and never won the SEC again. Mark Richt only ever got the chance to become a great head coach because he was a great OC.

I used to run eight miles (four miles up, four miles down) with boots and full field uniform on without stopping - every morning.

Doesn't mean I can do it now.

Anyone recall last October?

False equivalency.. physical deterioration is not on par with mental deterioration, and your lack of motivation to continue progressing is not a quality that Richt shares with you.

Malik needs more pre-game warm up time.

This may be the trick, if he scrambled more to get the flow worked out because he's a gamer. I am totally in his camp but we have to click early and let it rain on our talent.

Whatever we are doing in the first half simply isn't working. If we're going to be in the shotgun all game long, why not hurry it up and move Rosier out of the pocket more? Especially at the goal line. Zero creativity down there. Roll Rosier out and I promise you someone from the secondary will come up to tackle him, leaving one of our guys open. People KNOW he's a threat to run, but down there they need to see it happening before they dump their assignment. If he's standing like a statue in the pocket, no one from the secondary is thinking about him running. Once they see him leaving the pocket, it's decision time. The fact we aren't even making opposing teams think about that threat is mind boggling to me. We finally have QBs on the roster that can run, and we don't even make teams defend against it at the most critical time, at the goal line.

Advertisement
Seems like in the 2nd half we settle in to our main guys: Richards (when healthy, Langham when he isn't), Homer, Berrios, Herndon.

Speaking of which: Herndon is like Godzilla destroying a city when we throw him that screen. Why don't we do that to open the game and get Malik in rhythm?

The playcalling didn’t change. Rosier started this game like 0-9 passing.

A few things:

1. He was 3 of 9 to start the game (see the first 9 passes below). He then went 6 for 8 in the remainder of the half. We scored 6 points when he went 3 for 9, we scored 6 points when he went 6 for 8.

2. Let's not forget 3 of 9 were (all incomplete passes) horrible personnel/play-calling decisions. These were routes in the end-zone to players that had no business receiving those plays (i.e. players under 5'11) especially when you have Langham.

3. You know what was working, but for some reason we stopped when it mattered, was the run game with Homer. He had 9 carries for 81 yards (9 YPC).

(14:07 - 1st) Travis Homer run for 11 yds to the MiaFl 15
(10:38 - 1st) Travis Homer run for 11 yds to the GTech 34 for a 1ST down
(9:31 - 1st) Travis Homer run for 12 yds to the GTech 20 for a 1ST down
(13:15 - 2nd) Travis Homer run for 1 yd to the MiaFl 33
(12:48 - 2nd) Travis Homer run for 2 yds to the MiaFl 35 for a 1ST down
(11:47 - 2nd) Travis Homer run for 32 yds to the GTech 20 for a 1ST down
(4:48 - 2nd) Travis Homer run for 6 yds to the MiaFl 18
(1:52 - 2nd) Travis Homer run for 2 yds to the MiaFl 25
(1:04 - 2nd) Travis Homer run for 4 yds to the MiaFl 36 for a 1ST down

Miami ran 9 plays in the red-zone in the first half.

- 2 of the 9 plays were FGs
- 2 of the 9 plays were running plays, neither were to Homer.
- 1 of the 9 plays was a TD. The TD was a pass to Homer.

---------------------------

First 9 Passes Below (Georgia Tech vs. Miami - Play-By-Play - October 14, 2017 - ESPN)

(10:47 - 1st) Malik Rosier pass incomplete to Christopher Herndon IV, broken up by Brant Mitchell
(8:20 - 1st) Malik Rosier pass incomplete to Mike Harley, broken up by Lance Austin
(8:14 - 1st) Malik Rosier pass incomplete to Dionte Mullins

(3:21 - 1st) Malik Rosier pass incomplete to Lawrence Cager
(14:14 - 2nd) Malik Rosier pass complete to Braxton Berrios for 11 yds to the MiaFl 24 for a 1ST down
(13:42 - 2nd) Malik Rosier pass complete to Jeff Thomas for 8 yds to the MiaFl 32
(12:17 - 2nd) Malik Rosier pass incomplete to Mike Harley
(10:15 - 2nd) Malik Rosier pass incomplete to Mike Harley
(5:21 - 2nd) Malik Rosier pass complete to Travis Homer for 1 yd to the MiaFl 12

Advertisement
Didn't we start slow a lot last year with a different Qb but same playcaller? That said, we are undefeated, on a long winning streak, beat fsu and just one our second game in a row with last second score(something the great Bobby never managed to do at fsu against us). I wanted Butch and have issues with Mark, but undefeated is what you call perfect in football. Let's enjoy the ride and stop worrying about being first to point out some flaw.

Whatever we are doing in the first half simply isn't working. If we're going to be in the shotgun all game long, why not hurry it up and move Rosier out of the pocket more? Especially at the goal line. Zero creativity down there. Roll Rosier out and I promise you someone from the secondary will come up to tackle him, leaving one of our guys open. People KNOW he's a threat to run, but down there they need to see it happening before they dump their assignment. If he's standing like a statue in the pocket, no one from the secondary is thinking about him running. Once they see him leaving the pocket, it's decision time. The fact we aren't even making opposing teams think about that threat is mind boggling to me. We finally have QBs on the roster that can run, and we don't even make teams defend against it at the most critical time, at the goal line.

What on Earth are you talking about? Rosier has called his own number several times in the red zone, he's rushed for 3 TD's, and he's been stuffed a few times when the defense was waiting on it. The biggest problem with the way we've started games is that Rosier is coming in a little too jacked up and can't hit the side of a barn. We started the Tech game 0-9 passing. You want to speed that up? I'm sure our defense would have loved Corch Thomas calling for up tempo against GaTech in the first quarter Saturday. I see the same stuff being said every week. "We need to throw more screens and crossing routes." We tried a few screens against FSU and we're **** lucky Josh Sweat can't catch because Rosier hit him in the face with two. On a WR screen to Harley against Toledo, Rosier threw it so far behind him it was **** close to being a lateral. We tried a swing pass against FSU to try to get Rosier in a rhythm and rosier almost took his head off. A crossing route hit Cager in the back of the head against Duke. I also would like to see him get the ball to Herndon more, but that is mostly also on Malek staring down his first option rather than going through his progressions.

There are some legitimate criticisms, enough to go around, but I think we need to realize that as much as we all love Rosier, his attitude, leadership, and what he's been able to do for us, he's still only 6 games into his collegiate career. He's made a few mistakes, but for the most part he's been really safe with the ball. Most of his misses have been good misses, and what few bad decisions he's made haven't really cost us all that much. And a lot of that, I think, can be directly attributed to the way Richt has been calling the games.

Advertisement
Back