12-Team College Football Playoff?

Advertisement
I think it will because you will have more 2 loss, maybe even 3 loss teams in the playoff.

Every game won’t matter, then. If an SEC team drops 2 games, so what? They’ll still make it in.
I think it all depends how they do it. The only 3 loss team would probably be the Pac12 champ. I'm just sick of seeing the same teams in the playoff every year.

Advertisement
Skipping 8 and going to 12 eh?

The big conferences (namely the SEC) weren't willing to give up the at-large spots.

If you do 8, you probably have to do the 5 P5 conference champions, the highest ranked G5 champion, and 2 at-large.

With 12, you have 6 at-large spots. So the big conferences feel they won't be shut out as much as they would possibly with only 8.

If you're the SEC, your champion gets in, and you only have a shot at 2 more spots with an 8 team playoff.

With 12, your champion almost certainly gets in, and you have a shot at 6 more spots.

LETS ******* GOOOOO

One thing caught my eye....6 highest-ranked conference champs & 6 at-large.The 4 highest-ranked champs get a bye while other 8 play 1st-round games on campus.

So if Notre Dame is 12-0 and ranked #1, and they have to play a 1st round game because they're not a conference champ, they're going to be SCREAMING to join the ACC in football.

Lose to Bama, run the table then lose to Clemson in a tough game and we’re one of the 12.

As long as Clemson stays a juggernaut 12 teams is a good thing for us imo.

Advertisement
One thing caught my eye....6 highest-ranked conference champs & 6 at-large.The 4 highest-ranked champs get a bye while other 8 play 1st-round games on campus.

So if Notre Dame is 12-0 and ranked #1, and they have to play a 1st round game because they're not a conference champ, they're going to be SCREAMING to join the ACC in football.

Good point, but the other point is if they'd have went to 8 teams and 6 of them being conference champs, they'd have really needed to join a league.

I think this eases that pressure. If they really do it like that, sure they might not be able to get a bye, but they have a much better chance of making the playoff overall.

The ACC will be like, cool...just share the revenue of your contract.

Here is what it would have looked like for this past season:

12 team playoff
1 - Bama (SEC Champ) 11-0
2 - Clemson (ACC Champ) 10-1
3 - OSU (Big 10 Champ) 6-0
4 - Oklahoma (Big 12 Champ) 8-2

5 - Notre Dame (at large) 10-1 v 12 - USC (Pac 12 Champ) 5-1
6 - Texas A&M (at large) 8-1 v 11 - Indiana (at large) 6-1
7 - Florida (at large) 8-3 v 10 - ISU (at large) 8-3
8 - Cincy (AAC Champ) 9-0 v 9 - UGA (at large) 7-2

8 team playoff (5 P5 Champs, 1 G5 Champ, 2 at large)
1 - Bama v 8 - Texas A&M
2 - Clemson v 7 - Notre Dame
3 - OSU v 6 - USC
4 - Oklahoma v 5 - Cincy

Several ****** games in the opening round for the 12 team. For the 8 team, yes Bama still wins this year just because they were by far the best team but its not going to be like that every year.

Advertisement
Lose to Bama, run the table then lose to Clemson in a tough game and we’re one of the 12.

Hey beeftit, I thought we were running the table regardless? You slackin my man.

Advertisement
Here is what it would have looked like for this past season:

12 team playoff
1 - Bama (SEC Champ) 11-0
2 - Clemson (ACC Champ) 10-1
3 - OSU (Big 10 Champ) 6-0
4 - Oklahoma (Big 12 Champ) 8-2

5 - Notre Dame (at large) 10-1 v 12 - USC (Pac 12 Champ) 5-1
6 - Texas A&M (at large) 8-1 v 11 - Indiana (at large) 6-1
7 - Florida (at large) 8-3 v 10 - ISU (at large) 8-3
8 - Cincy (AAC Champ) 9-0 v 9 - UGA (at large) 7-2

8 team playoff (5 P5 Champs, 1 G5 Champ, 2 at large)
1 - Bama v 8 - Texas A&M
2 - Clemson v 7 - Notre Dame
3 - OSU v 6 - USC
4 - Oklahoma v 5 - Cincy

Several ****** games in the opening round for the 12 team. For the 8 team, yes Bama still wins this year just because they were by far the best team but its not going to be like that every year.
I still see Baga winning that.

ND would beat USC
TAMU beats Indiana
UiF would beat ISU
UGA Beats Cincy

Baga beats UGA
Clemson and TAMU would be a good game. ?
OSU beats UiF
OK and UGA also a pickem

Proposal won’t be implemented until 2023 at the earliest. It will stay at 4 for the next 2 years.

I think it all depends how they do it. The only 3 loss team would probably be the Pac12 champ. I'm just sick of seeing the same teams in the playoff every year.
The reason you are seeing the same teams is because they are the best teams. You really want to see crappier teams in the playoffs? We should get in if we are good enough, not because they let the rabble in.

Advertisement
Back