10th Assistant Coach Approved: What's our move?

I don't know if bethel can handle the move - he seems to be putting on decent weight. Stop comparing him to McIntosh - they are totally different body types. Even as a RSFR, you can see how large McIntosh was. The guy has an enormously broad frame - bethel does not.

Bethel obviously can handle the move because he's already playing DT and has been mentioned by Diaz as having a productive spring so far. lol. You're so hellbent on obsessing about body types that you're not even listening to what the coaches are saying.

Advertisement
Perhaps a young up-and-coming DL or LB coach to assist Kool and Diaz.

Someone with recruiting experience in our key areas.

Hartley is the only guy coaching 2 units. Makes most sense to split TE and STs to let him focus and do more recruiting.

I was thinking long term, if and when Diaz gets a HC offer he takes. Promote Kool to DC, and have the DL coach Kool groomed. Keep a strength a strength.

The offense needs to make up ground in the short term before we start thinking long-term.

Last edited:

Hartley is the only guy coaching 2 units. Makes most sense to split TE and STs to let him focus and do more recruiting.

I was thinking long term, if and when Diaz gets a HC offer he takes. Promote Kool to DC, and have the DL coach Kool groomed. Keep a strength a strength.

I agree here. My belief is that the next HC is either Kool or Diaz if the band sticks together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The offense needs to make up ground in the short term before we start thinking long-term.

Perhaps.

I think the offense is behind the defense on talent. The last recruiting class should certainly help, if some of the freshman on O can have close to the impact last year's young blood had on defense.

We'll find out soon enough!

I agree here. My belief is that the next HC is either Kool or Diaz if the band sticks together.

If the defense continues to ascend I assume Diaz starting getting HC offers at Power 5 schools. He's from Miami, and let's hope he waits for the best opportunity and not just the first one. Kool is quoted as wanting a DC gig. He got a bump this past off-season but eventually there may be an offer he can't refuse and Miami can't match. Diaz could leave and take Kool with him as DC.

But let's focus on 2017.

Advertisement

If the defense continues to ascend I assume Diaz starting getting HC offers at Power 5 schools. He's from Miami, and let's hope he waits for the best opportunity and not just the first one. Kool is quoted as wanting a DC gig. He got a bump this past off-season but eventually there may be an offer he can't refuse and Miami can't match. Diaz could leave and take Kool with him as DC.

But let's focus on 2017.

where's that Kool quote? I asked some other dudes who referenced it and they couldn't find it.

But let's focus on 2017.

where's that Kool quote? I asked some other dudes who referenced it and they couldn't find it.

The "quote" was from one the post-practice type pressers, after Assistant Head Coach was added to his title. I'm not going to search YouTube for the video.

But let's focus on 2017.

The "quote" was from one the post-practice type pressers, after Assistant Head Coach was added to his title. I'm not going to search YouTube for the video.

If it's the quote i'm thinking of, he never said he wanted to be a DC. He said 'it's just hasn't turned out that way and he's satisfied with whatever the man upstairs has in store for him'.

But let's focus on 2017.

If it's the quote i'm thinking of, he never said he wanted to be a DC. He said 'it's just hasn't turned out that way and he's satisfied with whatever the man upstairs has in store for him'.

Fine. Perhaps he was taken out of context.

Kool was at Missouri for a long time so it's fair to assume he is not one to jump to the next opportunity to move up the ladder. He is a religious man, and this is certainly a bond he shares with Richt. Both were at their previous jobs for a long time. Let's hope he's a lifer.

My greater point was to use the new 10th position to groom a younger, hungry DL/LB coach in the system. Keep a strength a strength.

Richt is not likely to hire a guru OC. He wants to call the plays. Now, perhaps Jon could make this board happy and move on to work his way up the coaching ladder.

Last edited:
Advertisement

But let's focus on 2017.

I don't think Diaz takes Kul with him if/when he takes a HC gig.
I think he definitely takes Banda with him and he will be his DC.
As far as his DL coach is concerned, I believe the current grad Assistant at UM came over with Diaz from Mississippi State (last name Devine, I think).....So one can assume he will follow Manny.... Anyways, enough of that speculation, let's worry about 2017 (as noted above).

But let's focus on 2017.

Kool was at Missouri for a long time so it's fair to assume he is not one to jump to the next opportunity to move up the ladder. He is a religious man, and this is certainly a bond he shares with Richt. Both were at their previous jobs for a long time. Let's hope he's a lifer.

My greater point was to use the new 10th position to groom a younger, hungry DL/LB coach in the system. Keep a strength a strength.

Richt is not likely to hire a guru OC. He wants to call the plays. Now, perhaps Jon could make this board happy and move on to work his way up the coaching ladder.

Richt and Kool don't have Nattys and neither does manny. I'm sure they'd like to win some before they 'get bored' and decide to make another move. Manny may still be looking to ascend because he's a younger dude than the other two, but when you've got a great job with a good salary, in a place like Miami, you don't just trade it in for more $$. Harbaugh is getting 7 mill? Is he 2x as good as Richt? There comes a point where you just have to find purpose and happiness in what you do, and I think several of our staff members are very comfortable in their current space.

But let's focus on 2017.

I don't think Diaz takes Kul with him if/when he takes a HC gig.
I think he definitely takes Banda with him and he will be his DC.
As far as his DL coach is concerned, I believe the current grad Assistant at UM came over with Diaz from Mississippi State (last name Devine, I think).....So one can assume he will follow Manny.... Anyways, enough of that speculation, let's worry about 2017 (as noted above).

A lot of times dudes take other jobs or promotions because they want creative leeway to do what they're best at doing, or the flexibility to try new things. It seems, from the outside, like everyone on staff can do what they're really good at doing, egos aren't super strong, and nobody is being asked to do anything they aren't comfortable doing. Everyone wants to start breaking up this staff but there's something to be said for creating a really nice environment to work in.

Last edited:
Advertisement
How about this... Ray Lewis. I'm not sure if he would take it but he could be a middle linebackers coach while Diaz is the coordinator and outside lb coach. This would provide more individual work for the lbs and he would b a monster recruiter guaranteed. Oh and also if guys aren't feeling it at games or practices he can give incredibly motivational talks and pregame pump up speeches. Probably not going to happen but that would be a grand slam hire because he is a amazing mentor coach and role model!!!

Richt and Kool don't have Nattys and neither does manny. I'm sure they'd like to win some before they 'get bored' and decide to make another move. Manny may still be looking to ascend because he's a younger dude than the other two, but when you've got a great job with a good salary, in a place like Miami, you don't just trade it in for more $$. Harbaugh is getting 7 mill? Is he 2x as good as Richt? There comes a point where you just have to find purpose and happiness in what you do, and I think several of our staff members are very comfortable in their current space.

Richt is a lifer at Miami. I'd wager he retires from coaching when he leaves.

Kool does not have a NC ring but spent a long time at Missouri. There was nearly-zero chance of a national title at Missouri. I'd wager he was offered gigs at top tier programs, and maybe even the NFL. He stayed loyal to Missouri until the HC retired. He's one of those people with different motivations.

Manny has moved around, and even fired. Hard to judge his motivations. In Miami's favor is he is a local product, and the program has an open wallet. I'm not sure what Manny earns today but if the team takes the next step and is a legit CFP contender and participant he should be in the $1M+ DC club. I would be surprised if he took a HC job at a G5 or mid-lower tier P5 program soley for money. He can wait for an opening at a top school where you have a legit chance to win.

Last edited:
This guy. Please.

130701_dorsey_vert.jpg

Advertisement
Honestly, I think I trust whatever this staff wants to do.

I don't think I've ever felt this way about any sports organization.

Advertisement
Back