“South Florida doesn’t produce QBs.”

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
I realize our program is collapsing and this is not a priority, but we’re on the recruiting board. Let’s put this cliche to bed.

Lamar Jackson, Jacoby Brissett and Teddy Bridgewater are three of the 32 starting QBs in the NFL. Their combined record is 14-4 and their numbers are outstanding.

In college, Tyler Huntley is the QB for #12 Utah and is 7th in the nation in QB rating.

I’ve held on to my belief in pro-style, but enough is enough. Let’s go full-on spread, sign the best local QB every year and pluck special QB talents from out of state.

Advertisement
I realize our program is collapsing and this is not a priority, but we’re on the recruiting board. Let’s put this cliche to bed.

Lamar Jackson, Jacoby Brissett and Teddy Bridgewater are three of the 32 starting QBs in the NFL. Their combined record is 14-4 and their numbers are outstanding.

In college, Tyler Huntley is the QB for #12 Utah and is 7th in the nation in QB rating.

I’ve held on to my belief in pro-style, but enough is enough. Let’s go full-on spread, sign the best local QB every year and pluck special QB talents from out of state.
Let me preface by admitting that I am also of the old guard that a pro-style offense could and should be successful at Miami.

Looking at the situation we are faced with, that ideal is not in our cards, regardless of future circumstances.

My question for you is, how do you convince any kid, within South Florida or out of state, that we are responsive to change and/or adaptable to suit?

The kids were promised a change of culture and philosophy following the Diaz hire; Richt was in retirement mode, I think everyone can agree on that and I don’t blame the guy on a personal level for such.

On the same side of the coin, we are employing and implementing a Head Coach and his mindset who shows no more initiative towards progressing the program than did our previous, albeit for different “reasons,” for lack of a better term.

How do we convince a marquee prospect that we are the best option to enable his skill set and talents? I look forward to your response as I think the actual answer is not discriminable, let alone clear.

Let me preface by admitting that I am also of the old guard that a pro-style offense could and should be successful at Miami.

Looking at the situation we are faced with, that ideal is not in our cards, regardless of future circumstances.

My question for you is, how do you convince any kid, within South Florida or out of state, that we are responsive to change and/or adaptable to suit?

The kids were promised a change of culture and philosophy following the Diaz hire; Richt was in retirement mode, I think everyone can agree on that and I don’t blame the guy on a personal level for such.

On the same side of the coin, we are employing and implementing a Head Coach and his mindset who shows no more initiative towards progressing the program than did our previous, albeit for different “reasons,” for lack of a better term.

How do we convince a marquee prospect that we are the best option to enable his skill set and talents? I look forward to your response as I think the actual answer is not discriminable, let alone clear.

We aren’t going to be persuading the top talents for a while. Can’t blame them, either.

That’s another reason a true spread is intriguing. We didn’t even offer Jackson or Huntley. They would have signed in a heartbeat. There is no shortage of underrated, future NFL receivers in the region. We can build that offense without landing the cream of the crop.

Advertisement
Cotdam D$, The spread revolution was dam near over 10 years ago, the battle was/is over. They won a loooong time ago, teams like oklahoma, OSU, etc. been embraced it to great results. Heck teams who could build elite NFL rosters like Bama, LSU, USC jumped that sunken ship. Belicheck/Brady embraced it in NFL and even NFL has blurred the lines to point that if you watch the games on sunday you think its groundhog day..

We wouldnt even be behind the curve, the spread is just business as usual now. Heck GT jumped from triple option to trying to install a spread offense.. Pro style bro is stale, extremely dfficult to install in college limited practice time era and directly tied to our issues of being a washed program..

I know you have seen ball from high school down here, college, to NFL.. Didnt know you still had a Hiroo Onoda like commitment to pro style, but that thing has been over. Especially if we are talking about winning on college level.

Cotdam D$, The spread revolution was dam near over 10 years ago, the battle was/is over. They won a loooong time ago, teams like oklahoma, OSU, etc. been embraced it to great results. Heck teams who could build elite NFL rosters like Bama, LSU, USC jumped that sunken ship. Belicheck/Brady embraced it in NFL and even NFL has blurred the lines to point that if you watch the games on sunday you think its groundhog day..

We wouldnt even be behind the curve, the spread is just business as usual now. Heck GT jumped from triple option to trying to install a spread offense.. Pro style bro is stale, extremely dfficult to install in college limited practice time era and directly tied to our issues of being a washed program..

I know you have seen ball from high school down here, college, to NFL.. Didnt know you still had a Hiroo Onoda like commitment to pro style, but that thing has been over. Especially if we are talking about winning on college level.

I’ve been open to a spread offense (wanted Leach last year) but still believed we could win big with a competent pro-style playcaller. Not anymore. It’s been the common theme in our failures.

Advertisement
I been saying it for a long time. Football is a passing game. Everybody and they momma used to be able to get 1400 yards rushing now we seeing a plethora of 4000 yard passers. Majority of teams running spread now

I’ve been open to a spread offense (wanted Leach last year) but still believed we could win big with a competent pro-style playcaller. Not anymore. It’s been the common theme in our failures.
With the little resources we put in the program prior to recent years we should been one of the first to embrace spread to give us some kind of competitive advantage. To implement a championship level pro style in college you would need nfl talent at almost every spot, then you have to scour low and high to find a certain type of qb to execute a complicated offense in limited practice time.

Gonna be hard to get ahead now with EVERY team doing it now.. and teams like bama going from just needing one julio jones type to hoarding all types of nfl level WR. Whoever is selecting those guys also has an insane hit rate, lol..

Advertisement
We should have got mike leach. Doesn’t matter who’s at qb and we have a pretty good defence

Didn't he want the Miami job back when we hired Al Golden? I remember him being in the Keys but wow has it been that long ago

We aren’t going to be persuading the top talents for a while. Can’t blame them, either.

That’s another reason a true spread is intriguing. We didn’t even offer Jackson or Huntley. They would have signed in a heartbeat. There is no shortage of underrated, future NFL receivers in the region. We can build that offense without landing the cream of the crop.
I don’t disagree with any statement here. I guess where I’m leaning is that there is an issue with the culture as a whole and the vast majority of CIS is in agreement that a new hire(s) are needed effective immediately.

Let me say that Jackson holds a special place in my heart for sticking with Louisville when Florida came knocking.

We can argue whether that new hire (admin influence aside) needs to emphasize one of the following more than another:

- Recruiting
- Culture and Accountability
- Scheme (On the playing field)

But certainly these things are not mutually exclusive and be achieved simultaneously or in sequence.

I agree that we’re not going to be pulling the cream of the crop outside of a few boys who love The U and what it should be but is a scheme change enough to rectify the distrust and doubt that (rightfully so) these kids encounter through opposing coaches and other avenues to even return us to a point where we contend for a division title?

Certainly the talent on the current roster is enough to do so (I’m not talking about making the Playoff folks) but is a change in offensive philosophy (regardless of who our Head Coach is) enough to prevent the cupboard from going bare in the next three or so years?

Advertisement

Les Miles + Brent Dearmon and you got yourself a stew.

You know I'm a Leach fan, but Dearmon is also an elite offensive mind and Miles brings the pedigree. No questions about whether he could recruit S Fl or will be out outcoached. And can get both cheaper than 1 Mark Richt.

Advertisement
Back