“If I went to that program I would never lose a game. They get the best athletes.” - Mike Leach

Advertisement
Met this dude randomly in The Irma Hope in Cody, Wyoming last summer ... cool *** dude . Told him I was a fan and didn’t want to take up too much time. He said you’re at the bar ? I’ll be down in 30. Dude paid for all my drinks and shut the bar down with my folks and I . At the end of the night I asked him if he wanted the job at the U ... he said, “ oh **** yea. “

Attachments

• 09BE9325-208A-4A17-9B84-FA0A9C686341.jpeg
    09BE9325-208A-4A17-9B84-FA0A9C686341.jpeg
    723.1 KB · Views: 31
Met this dude randomly in The Irma Hope in Cody, Wyoming last summer ... cool *** dude . Told him I was a fan and didn’t want to take up too much time. He said you’re at the bar ? I’ll be down in 30. Dude paid for all my drinks and shut the bar down with my folks and I . At the end of the night I asked him if he wanted the job at the U ... he said, “ oh **** yea. “
Great story.

Advertisement
If Leach came here it would be the same “Groundhog Day” canes. It would look good until something goes wrong then it will collapse. The fish don’t see things clearly under water.

It’s troubling how many of our fans can’t distinguish between top tier programs and programs located on some podunk town in the middle of nowhere.

What Leach has done out in the sticks at TTech and Wash St is incredible. He’s the ultimate more with less guy. Most importantly, he’s an intelligent dude and an offensive wizard. Donna was too offended by Leach’s confidence and toxic masculinity to hire him. This guy wanted to be our coach twice and we said no. We deserve to be where we are.

Oh, and on the point of him recruiting. Kids want to win and play exciting football. He’d recruit just fine. We hired the cool young local guy because we thought it would lead to us recruiting well and thereby winning? How’d Shannon do? We hired the slick talking car salesman in Golden— how’d his recruiting end up? Kids want to win and play exciting football. Then they’ll come. You hire guys just to recruit and once the truth comes out they suck nobody wants to sign.

And South Florida kids would end up loving Leach. He’s nuts. He’d give them a book about pirates or something and they’d respect how weird he is.

Last edited:
My friend played at Texas Tech and we have talked a lot about Leach. He might not be the absolute best recruiter but he is a brilliant football mind and hires Great recruiters

So you really don't think that a HC's personality doesn't matter at all? You don't think the HC has to get involved on some of those 4 and 5 star recruits every cycle.

If Shalala hated him, then that means he was exactly what we needed.

Leach makes under 3 million per year now. I think he would accept that same salary to coach at the school he's asked to coach for twice (after both Coker and Shannon got fired). He's not coaching because he loves teaching young men how to be life champions, he coaches because he wants to win a championship. Leach recognizes more than any coach in football that with Miami caliber players he'd have an offense so potent it would make Oklahoma's offense look pedestrian by comparison.

At 3 million a year salary, Leach could hire an elite DC for 1.5 million (Don Brown makes about 1.4 million and Foster makes about 1 million) and we'd have a HC/OC/DC combo for about the same cost as Rick alone.

Frenk needs to fire James and bring in a new AD whose first order of business is firing Rick and hiring Mike Leach.

Wiki says leach makes 3.5m. Leach ain’t gonna come groveling to UM a 3rd time - James/UM is gonna have to go after him hard. I don’t think they have the stomach to do that. That said, I can’t see other big time programs coming after leach bc he’s such an oddball. So, is leach happy being a coach at a mid tier P5 program and tearing **** up? Or does he want that one last chance to tear **** up at a big boy school?

Advertisement
Man shut the **** up talking like you know Leach personally! You don't know how families would interact with this guy, because you DON'T KNOW HIM or any families of recruits, so stop trying to pass your opinion off as facts! You think Wazzu will loose to Portland state now?

He lost to Portland state twice in his career at Washington State. Why do I care if he wouldn't lose to them this year? Leach has only once in his career won more than 10 games. I never said Leach wasn't a great offensive mind; he certainly is. But he's not the best HC.

And being that I've lived in South Florida for about 20 years, I know how the families of South Florida recruits would act to his personality.

You really believe yourself don’t you?

Yes. And some of you hang onto every word a coach says. "Man, if I was the coach at Miami, I'd never lose a game and I'd have a title there immediately".

Golden came in with a lot of false bravado as well. Allbeit, I'll at least give Leach credit for this, he's miles ahead of Golden as a coach.

It's Donald Trump telling the story, he was probably lying just to pander to the local crowd.

The call he talks about to Donna was before the Randy hire. Donald was probably still a liberal Democratic at the time—Clinton’s were at his wedding. That greatly increasing the chance he was lying so you could be right. The newspaper he sent the short little piece of crap was when Randy got fired. By then he was a republican, not making it any more likely to be the truth but the is that picture as evidence. Now if you want to complain about Trump and be true Cane, ***** about him Saying good things about that piece of crap Lou Holtz.

Advertisement
He lost to Portland state twice in his career at Washington State. Why do I care if he wouldn't lose to them this year? Leach has only once in his career won more than 10 games. I never said Leach wasn't a great offensive mind; he certainly is. But he's not the best HC.

And being that I've lived in South Florida for about 20 years, I know how the families of South Florida recruits would act to his personality.
Dude we had a used car salesman from New Jersey as a HC for 4 years. I think a guy with a law degree could adequately manuever around "South Florida" families - which you oddly are making them out to be some sort of foreign entity. I think kids want to play for whomever is winning, especially when the QB is tossing for 3500+ yards and 30+ TDs.

Anyways, I have always been a Mike Leach fan but I think this is all a moot point. Don't think our administration would pull the trigger on this type of head coach.

Very Cool

Advertisement
I was never a Leach fan because those types of offenses make it hard to have a good defense to go with it. Of course after Randy, Al and now Mark for comparables, bring that crazy ****** down here and let’s see what happens. What do we have to lose?

I've heard UNC has him on a sizable list of potential coaching replacements. Told that they will make a play on 4 specific coaches , not sure if he is one or not. Wouldn't that suck.

Well, I was born here over 60 years ago, so I see your 20 and raise you 40 plus birth rights. South Florida loves winners and only winners. If he came and won, they would love if; if he lost they would not even say hello.

Yes. And some of you hang onto every word a coach says. "Man, if I was the coach at Miami, I'd never lose a game and I'd have a title there immediately".

Golden came in with a lot of false bravado as well. Allbeit, I'll at least give Leach credit for this, he's miles ahead of Golden as a coach.

I believe you don’t have a clue of what you’re talking about.

Enjoy the day sir

Advertisement
Back