“If I went to that program I would never lose a game. They get the best athletes.” - Mike Leach

To be fair, he's been at the Tatooine of College Football in Pullman and Lubbock. Winning to the point he has at those two spots is impressive. There are questions about what he could do at Miami or an equal school, but at this point, it couldn't hurt.
He'd definitely be an upgrade. No question.

Advertisement
Someone said families would be turned off by him, but I'd think the opposite would be true. He's direct and honest and doesn't come across as slick. People would trust him.

A while back I said no way, Leach is too weird and wouldn't land recruits. Richt's "advantage" was that he is a better recruiter, but now is losing recruits because they can see the state of the program. Since there is no recruiting advantage, i'd rather have the coach who knows how to put points on the board.

Listen to Leach's story about recruiting.

What'd he tell Gardner Minshew to land him over Bama..."Want to lead the nation in passing?"...dude was sold.

Leach is also smart enough to have coaches that know how to recruit.

He sent a note to Donna telling her he was right and next time to listen to him. Now he’s the Pres and she’s a House Rep. Small World.
It's a very small world in the "Bubble". They all know each other well. The partisan bickering is for our benefit only. They're all quite happy robbing the rest of us blind. Michelle Obama publicly spooning with G.W. Bush should make that clear.

Advertisement
Problem with Leach is his personality would turn a lot of South Florida families off. We also play to South Florida athleticism and have Manny recruiting (whom I'm sure is a decent recruiter) on defense, and we still miss out on a lot of blue chip prospects. This is also ignoring that although Leach's a great offensive mind, his teams constantly lose to FCS schools (losing to Portland St. multiple times).
My friend played at Texas Tech and we have talked a lot about Leach. He might not be the absolute best recruiter but he is a brilliant football mind and hires Great recruiters

We dont get the best athletes no more stop lying, people been saying that for years and the NFL proves thats a BS lie. We used to get the best athletes

We still have better athletes than Duke and GT. But you know that and that wasn’t your point. Just saying for the slurpers.

@DMoney is on point and putting things in the strongest terms he can. This ain’t working and excuses gotta stop. No reason we shouldn’t go at least 10-2 with the schedule we had this year.

Advertisement
Leach is 47-39 at WSU. Was 3-9 in his 3rd season there. Let’s stop acting as if he’s god’s gift to Football.
It is washington state.

It is washington state

It is washington ******* state.

He would be miles ahead of richt three years in at miami. Miles. Ahead. Of. Richt.

Leach is 47-39 at WSU. Was 3-9 in his 3rd season there. Let’s stop acting as if he’s god’s gift to Football.
Year W L
2018 8 1 Leach 45th nationally in recruiting, 9th in Pac-12
2017 9 4 Leach 44th nationally in recruiting, 9th in Pac-12
2016 8 5 Leach 56th nationally in recruiting, 10th in Pac-12
2015 9 4 Leach 42nd nationally in recruiting, 8th in Pac-12
2014 3 9 Leach 53rd nationally in recruiting, 8th in Pac-12
2013 6 7 Leach 50th nationally in recruiting, 8th in Pac-12
2012 3 9 Leach 58th nationally in recruiting, 10th in Pac-12
2011 4 8 68th nationally in recruiting, 12th in Pac-12
2010 2 10 65th nationally in recruiting, 12th in Pac-12
2009 1 11 63rd nationally in recruiting, 11th in Pac-12
2008 2 11 66th nationally in recruiting, 12th in Pac-12
2007 5 7 57th nationally in recruiting, 9th in Pac-12
2006 6 6 45th nationally in recruiting, 7th in Pac-12
2005 4 7 43rd nationally in recruiting, 9th in Pac- 12
2004 5 6 22nd nationally in recruiting, 4th in Pac-12

Leach averages 38 ppg, ranking 18th in total offense, in a nothing town with 1 and 2 stars.
wins.0.png

cruitin.0.png

Leach has WSU winning on a consistent basis, which is rare for WSU, which I truly believe has generated better classes of predominantly 3 star kids.

That 2004 class had 10 recruits at the 2 star level in it. Also, a little bit of luck in landing Bumpus late, because he was all set as a 4 star to head to USC and he got hosed when the Trojans landed Jarrett in the 12th hour and Bumpus was ousted. Estes was in that set, a legendary 4 star bust, and Roof was a 4 star OL (somehow). But the number of 2 stars was the reason that class didn’t work out. I think the past several WSU recruiting classes have actually been better than 2004. That class averaged a 2.94, I think it was…star rating…thanks mostly to the 4 star guys in the set.

But depth and caliber of player has been more consistent lately in Leach's classes. The 2014 set had one 2 star. The 2015 set had three 2 stars. The 2016 set had 5 under 3 stars, I believe... The 2017 set had three guys who were 2 star. The type of players coming in - their ability to contribute immediately - is a testament to Leach's recruiting and coaching ability. He took teams with 1 and 2 star athletes and yielded enough positive results to where now his roster is mostly comprised of 3 star athletes. I know, being a UM fan, 3 star rosters don't make your heart flutter. But I'm telling you, this is a new thing for WSU.

The 2018 set had all 3 star and 4 star kids…that is a first I believe, in WSU recruiting history. No recruit rated under 3 stars. Stacking 3 star and above talent into the program like chord wood is a very new thing for the program. This thing is building… WSU doesn't appear to be the ‘hey we have a good set of seniors, we might bowl’ program now as they have been in the past. This is the part of Leach's tenure that I feel doesn’t get enough attention…
So yeah… He has warts…gruff with the media, reluctant to dole out information in the ‘information-gotta know it right away era’. But one sprained ankle no longer decimates the o-line, d-line, or secondary. He has enough depth now to where he has his team sitting alone atop the Pac-12 North, over Oregon, Stanford, and Washington. That's impressive as **** to me.

Bring in the Pirate.. dude pulled in his players for a team meeting and it turned out to be a 3 hour lecture on pirates. Nothing to do with football.. dude fully believes "a pirate ship is a functional democracy".. " That was last fxvking week!"

Bring in the Pirate.. dude pulled in his players for a team meeting and it turned out to be a 3 hour lecture on pirates. Nothing to do with football.. dude fully believes "a pirate ship is a functional democracy".. " That was last fxvking week!"
But can he make eat a sandwich the perfect way?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Problem with Leach is his personality would turn a lot of South Florida families off. We also play to South Florida athleticism and have Manny recruiting (whom I'm sure is a decent recruiter) on defense, and we still miss out on a lot of blue chip prospects. This is also ignoring that although Leach's a great offensive mind, his teams constantly lose to FCS schools (losing to Portland St. multiple times).
Man shut the **** up talking like you know Leach personally! You don't know how families would interact with this guy, because you DON'T KNOW HIM or any families of recruits, so stop trying to pass your opinion off as facts! You think Wazzu will loose to Portland state now?

Advertisement
Back