2023 ‘23 OT - Monroe Freeling

I think Campbell starts. Mario flat out said they expect him to be one of the best players in the NATION. I know coaches say things from time to time but that seemed like more then usual. Have to think they love what they see in him.
Campbell at 6’5 330 with good athleticism and strength is exactly what Mario and Mirabel are looking for. I think he benefits greatly from the new staff and scheme.

Advertisement
I liked the Ol last year the second half , the run blocking should improve just in coaching but that was the one area they struggled in. Pass blocking was above average to even good the second half. If Campbell can replace Williams and there’s no injuries we’ll be fine. There’s no depth though.
If Denis and Sagapolu are ready to contribute we’ll be fine unless Nelson goes down. Campbell can always kick back out to T if Scaife goes down.

Campbell appears better suited than many on this roster to slot at a tackle position, but i felt his best tape was at LG. If Scaife and/or Rivers can hold down RT, i would keep Campbell at LG next to Zion (only kick him out if Zion gets dinged). If they can't, kick Campbell to RT and keep Rivers at guard. With the brace Zion was sporting in pics this summer, i can see why Campbell is listed at LT.

When it comes to staffs, i have not trusted the last several figuring out the best positions for any OLineman. It's pretty obvious we can with this staff, so we'll see what they decide.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't disagree with this, hard not to see one of the Oregon kids in there for some reason, might just be me.
Yeah it's very possible. I was thinking 6'5 Campbell may be more a prototype vs Sagopolu but I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see him snag a starting spot.

Campbell appears better suited than many on this roster to slot at a tackle position, but i felt his best tape was at LG. If Scaife and/or Rivers can hold down RT, i would keep Campbell at LG next to Zion (only kick him out if Zion gets dinged). If they can't, kick Campbell to RT and keep Rivers at guard. With the brace Zion was sporting in pics this summer, i can see why Campbell is listed at LT.

When it comes to staffs, i have not trusted the last several figuring out the best positions for any OLineman. It's pretty obvious we can with this staff, so we'll see what they decide.
Agreed. Campbell physically looks like an OT, but to my eyes he has played better at guard. Early bumps and bruises at OT may have played a role in that, but I thought he looked pretty good at guard the games he stepped in for Donaldson in late 2019. Like you, I trust this staff to make the right personnel decision, especially on the OL.

Advertisement
Olawusen, Traore should both be out of eligibility. Not sure if Campbell has 1 more year or not since last year could have been a medical RS.
Campbell and Scaife are same class. Scaife never took a RS but used the extra Covid year. I believe Campbell did RS so with Covid year he has 2 left including this year

I liked the Ol last year the second half , the run blocking should improve just in coaching but that was the one area they struggled in. Pass blocking was above average to even good the second half. If Campbell can replace Williams and there’s no injuries we’ll be fine. There’s no depth though.
Not like our blocking schemes were complex and in many cases put our 5 at a disadvantage. Nothing like pulling inside the 5 yard or 3rd or 4th and short. We were very easy to figure out schematically. I also expect MUCH better technique. We have more eyes first of all and we have coaches who are very focused on attention to detail.

Not like our blocking schemes were complex and in many cases put our 5 at a disadvantage. Nothing like pulling inside the 5 yard or 3rd or 4th and short. We were very easy to figure out schematically. I also expect MUCH better technique. We have more eyes first of all and we have coaches who are very focused on attention to detail.
Yeah I think a big mistake I see with people on this board is they assume if a team is run heavy, that it can’t also be creative

I know it’s a dramatic leap but you watch guys like Kyle Shanahan and that school of thought seems like Gattis also models himself after

College kids usually struggle with keeping their eyes and discipline, and you can exploit the **** out of that with a creative run game

Advertisement
This x1000. Between our OL coaching and our OC, I don't expect our OL to have to carry the load exclusively 1 on 1 every down. Look for a ton of help from our TEs, backs, WRs even. Add in some misdirection and creativity and the same guy that got pushed 3 yards back on every inside zone last year is now opening up gaping holes.

Pause.

totally correct
our 2 deep OL is atrocious - you need to infuse talent NOW

this is from the spring 247 article on depth
does a single guy there harken back to any successful OL in the past few decades
out of this group, maybe 3 will play in the NFL, MAYBE

Left Tackle: Zion Nelson, John Campbell

Left Guard: Jalen Rivers, Jonathan Denis

Center: Jakai Clark, Ryan Rodriguez

Right Guard: Justice Oluwaseun, Logan Sagapolu

Right Tackle: DJ Scaife, Michael McLaughlin
Rodriguez won’t be playing at The U in my opinion. Matter of fact, he’s going to be out for a while this coming season.

Also, add Seymour, McCoy, and Cooper onto the depth chart as they’ll be needed!

So they love Zion, Campbell, & Scaife.
Sounds like it. They know Zion is NFL quality, Campbell fits the size and traits profile they look for, and Scaife is kind of like the Ivey of the offense - every new coach loves him.

To be fair he’s better at his position than Ivey is at his, I just think he gives high variance play quality with some great play and then some noticeably bad plays.

Advertisement
Back