2023 ‘23 OT - Monroe Freeling

Rivers and maybe Clark depending how he looks this year. Everyone else is replaceable. We have 0 OT depth I can't think of any reason to turn down a player in lieu of another player.
I agree, would also add Campbell into that group along with the guys Mario has already brought in, Denis, Sagapolu, Cooper and McCoy. I doubt that he will want to be that young on the OL and bring in 7 Freshmen OL. I think he leaves a spot or 2 to grab a couple veteran transfers

Advertisement
💯 You take Freeling, it’s not even a question. And if Samson wants in then you allow it given his talent level as reflected in his ranking in this situation, and then you let them all compete.
We as fans have been complaining for years about the atrocities of our O-line and now some want to pass on top flight talent??? Huh???? Take everyone and I mean everyone.... Flip that whole O-line room upside down , sideways , backwards , forwards and every which way in between... Embrace the change...

We as fans have been complaining for years about the atrocities of our O-line and now some want to pass on top flight talent??? Huh???? Take everyone and I mean everyone.... Flip that whole O-line room upside down , sideways , backwards , forwards and every which way in between... Embrace the change...
DEPTH ... ELITE DEPTH. No falloff with substitutions. "2nd team" player is an NFL quality player.

Just because a kid is from Mario’s high school doesn’t mean the kid is untouchable; have we not listened to a word Mario has said since he’s been here? Everything will be earned; high school alma mater be damned.

By the way, Mario and Mirabel didn’t recruit Ryan Rodriguez when they were at Oregon even though the two guys were at Columbus enough times to see Ryan practice and interact with him during offseason lifts.

That last paragraph, we don't know that. From the jump, he could've said how he wasn't moving across the country. I'm not talking about being rude about it, just up front that's not something he was interested in. Not many kids move from one corner to the next like that. Schools are eliminated all the time before we even get word that so and so is interested in them.

It's possible he didn't recruit him. They had a small class on the OL that year, but all were 4 star and above. None of which means he some slack jawes loser who isn't worthy of a scholarship or can't play here.

Advertisement
Just because a kid is from Mario’s high school doesn’t mean the kid is untouchable; have we not listened to a word Mario has said since he’s been here? Everything will be earned; high school alma mater be damned.

By the way, Mario and Mirabel didn’t recruit Ryan Rodriguez when they were at Oregon even though the two guys were at Columbus enough times to see Ryan practice and interact with him during offseason lifts.
I also didn’t mention he is a freshman. I would think there is more leeway for a freshman as opposed to an upperclassman. It just seems odd to me that everyone is already talking about pushing out a freshman before seeing any growth potential.

Last edited:
That last paragraph, we don't know that. From the jump, he could've said how he wasn't moving across the country. I'm not talking about being rude about it, just up front that's not something he was interested in. Not many kids move from one corner to the next like that. Schools are eliminated all the time before we even get word that so and so is interested in them.

It's possible he didn't recruit him. They had a small class on the OL that year, but all were 4 star and above. None of which means he some slack jawes loser who isn't worthy of a scholarship or can't play here.
I don't think anything you wrote here is rude.

Without going into details and without trashing a kid, if this player were from the west coast he would still not have been recruited by the coaches.

With all that said, I hope the kid makes the most of this opportunity. I'd like to see this kid emerge as a contributor.

I find it incredibly difficult to believe that the Columbus alum, Ryan Rodriguez, gets pushed out unless he doesn’t work.

Also, Freeling and Okunlola both have spots no matter what happens with any other recruits. This never happens, but half the team gets pushed out for either one.
Or if he can't put on weight. Some guys just max out/peak. He'll have this season to do it while recovering from his injury but Mario won't keep him just to be keeping him. Same standard will apply to all with this, Columbus kid or not.

Advertisement
Probably mentioned already but at CanesFest today he (Ryan Rodriguez) had a full leg brace on.

totally correct
our 2 deep OL is atrocious - you need to infuse talent NOW

this is from the spring 247 article on depth
does a single guy there harken back to any successful OL in the past few decades
out of this group, maybe 3 will play in the NFL, MAYBE

Left Tackle: Zion Nelson, John Campbell

Left Guard: Jalen Rivers, Jonathan Denis

Center: Jakai Clark, Ryan Rodriguez

Right Guard: Justice Oluwaseun, Logan Sagapolu

Right Tackle: DJ Scaife, Michael McLaughlin

Advertisement
totally correct

does a single guy there harken back to any successful OL in the past few decades

It’s a solid starting unit but injuries could make this a mess and fast.

It’s a solid starting unit but injuries could make this a mess and fast.
well rod is already hurt, so it has begun
I wouldn't say solid, servicable maybe, but against low P5 schools
when we play upper level schools, they get pushed around like rag dolls

it's time to change the mentality of that position group
and fresh blood and a new coaching staff is essential

well rod is already hurt, so it has begun
I wouldn't say solid, servicable maybe, but against low P5 schools
when we play upper level schools, they get pushed around like rag dolls

it's time to change the mentality of that position group
and fresh blood and a new coaching staff is essential
I liked the Ol last year the second half , the run blocking should improve just in coaching but that was the one area they struggled in. Pass blocking was above average to even good the second half. If Campbell can replace Williams and there’s no injuries we’ll be fine. There’s no depth though.

Advertisement
totally correct

I think Campbell starts. Mario flat out said they expect him to be one of the best players in the NATION. I know coaches say things from time to time but that seemed like more then usual. Have to think they love what they see in him.

I think Campbell starts. Mario flat out said they expect him to be one of the best players in the NATION. I know coaches say things from time to time but that seemed like more then usual. Have to think they love what they see in him.
let's see it play out
again, that wasn't my 2 deep, but it's not very deep

I do agree pass blocking was our best asset last year
but sustaining a drive and power blocking was miserable, and has been for quite sometime
Butch changed the program by changing the players and the culture
we need to scrub out the old, and in with the new
if there are 6 OL worthy of 'ships - give them

how many of the 2 deep are done after this year?

let's see it play out
again, that wasn't my 2 deep, but it's not very deep

I do agree pass blocking was our best asset last year
but sustaining a drive and power blocking was miserable, and has been for quite sometime
Butch changed the program by changing the players and the culture
we need to scrub out the old, and in with the new
if there are 6 OL worthy of 'ships - give them

how many of the 2 deep are done after this year?
Olawusen, Traore should both be out of eligibility. Not sure if Campbell has 1 more year or not since last year could have been a medical RS.

Advertisement
Back