2022 ‘23 5* Lebbeus Overton reclassifies to '22

Status
Not open for further replies.
And even better, he’ll be a preferred walk on so as to not blow the 85 scholarship limit.

Perhaps Jimbo and ATM can persuade the NCAA to raise the scholarship limit to 200 IC players per season.

I wonder what Steward thinks now about his prospect of playing time.
What’s to stop them from giving him a PWO spot and pay for his school through NIL to save a scholarship?

Advertisement
hey man as long as this sh*t is legal, and they can do it, wtf? who's to say they shouldn't? if it buys them a championship, they're doing what it takes. absolutely absurd? sure! so what. everyone else better step it up.
Well, let's say Miami went nuts and offered $25M/year for the quarterbacks that they signed. With escalators taking it up to $100M per player by year 4. And the Hurricanes sign Arch Manning, Malachi Nelson, Dante Moore, and Nicholaus Iamaleava in 2023. Great, Miami now has four new five star players.

But in this case, only one can see the field. Miami might have improved its blue chip ratio (before the subsequent transfers), but the actual impact is mitigated because only one player in contributing.

In A&M's case, they have 29 commitments this year and 7 five star players. Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy, Walter Nolen, and Shemar Stewart are five star defensive linemen. Shemar Turner (2021) is a 5 star defensive lineman. They also have four star players in Tunmise Adeleye (2021), Marcus Burris (2021), and McKinnley Jackson (2020). So at the very least - excluding the edge rushers that you have also signed as well as three star defensive linemen who are also on the roster - in three years you've acquired four 5 star players and 3 four star players at a position where only four see the field. So yes, A&M has an unbelievable haul at one position over the last two cycles. But you cannot play them all. At best, you have a great, great rotation. At worst, you have overcommitted resources to one position as much as Randy Shannon did in 2008 when he signed eight wide receivers.

So that would put them at 30 signees plus a transfer QB lol I guess the SEC doesn't have to abide by the 25 IC rule.

Advertisement
What’s to stop them from giving him a PWO spot and pay for his school through NIL to save a scholarship?
I've said that previously. A wealthy school could get around the 85 scholarship limit and get to 105 by offering walkons NIL deals that include the cost of tuition - deals that would technically be more lucrative than scholarship player #85, but in the end would be roughly equivalent once the tuition payment was factored in.

Advertisement
It's interesting how it's an issue now that these young men are being paid for their talent and hard work. Now all of a sudden there should be a cap on because these young men are being paid for there services. It's the wild wild west now all of a sudden or college football is over now that some of these kids are making 6 figures plus.

No mention of capping coaches salaries for the past 20+ years. Coaches salaries are out of fckn control. A new first time head coach in ***** Diaz created generational wealth for his family by being the HC at the U. That **** was learning on the job, never played the sport and was an FSPOO Alumnus if my memory serves me correctly.

I was one of those kids that got paid to go to Auburn back in those days with a new car and the handshakes with the boosters in the lockerroom before and after games.

I played for Sonny Smith and he hauld *** to VCU because they almost tripled his salary and they bought him a huge ranch. That **** is still happening to this very day 20+ years later.

I guess I just want to know why some dudes take it so personally that these young men are being paid for their services. It's hard for some to accept change for the better.

That's my opinion and how I see it.

People forget that in 2020 he went 12-1. Unfortunately ATM will be a problem moving forward.
They were frauds. That 2020 season was equivalent to Richt’s 2017. Everything went their way. Favorable schedule, especially the home/away matchups. Won all the close games and stayed out of injury trouble. And played half of Carolina’s real roster in the bowl game.

Advertisement
Shemar bro you just got bamboozled. I know iron sharpens iron… but you going to a 3-4 defense with the best DL class in the country, just a number.

It's interesting how it's an issue now that these young men are being paid for their talent and hard work. Now all of a sudden there should be a cap on because these young men are being paid for there services. It's the wild wild west now all of a sudden or college football is over now that some of these kids are making 6 figures plus.

No mention of capping coaches salaries for the past 20+ years. Coaches salaries are out of fckn control. A new first time head coach in ***** Diaz created generational wealth for his family by being the HC at the U. That **** was learning on the job, never played the sport and was an FSPOO Alumnus if my memory serves me correctly.

I was one of those kids that got paid to go to Auburn back in those days with a new car and the handshakes with the boosters in the lockerroom before and after games.

I played for Sonny Smith and he hauld *** to VCU because they almost tripled his salary and they bought him a huge ranch. That **** is still happening to this very day 20+ years later.

I guess I just want to know why some dudes take it so personally that these young men are being paid for their services. It's hard for some to accept change for the better.

Has nothing to do with the kids. Has everything to do with a couple schools being light years ahead of everyone else, with that gap getting worse. The thought is that it’ll be 5-8 teams at the most, who are it, and the rest will be closer to the G5 level, than the it schools.

Same reason there’s a salary cap in pro leagues. Doesn’t mean everyone can afford to reach that cap, but it keeps the rich rich from running away with it.

You could make the argument that that would actually spread more elite talent around. If Bama only had 100k left to offer but Miami has 200k, they’d most likely choose Miami.

Advertisement

It’s not silly to think that a kid who is no where near a professional in this field should earn this type of money. It’s getting silly. A coach has earned his degree and apprenticed somewhere for years before the opportunities come up. I don’t care what guys in the NFL get paid. They are professionals.

Last edited:

No one is saying not to pay kids but like everything it got perverse and it got perverse quickly. But w.e. always ppl defending dumbsh1t.

Also you seem to forget how unevenly **** is enforced. So not only were kids getting over the top money but schools like Miami are already being investigated and have hit pieces constantly written about them.

But you wouldn't know about that Mr.SEC Auburn guy.

Not sure how long before it plays out, but suspect it won't end well for Jimbo at A&M. Even with all the talent, he's still looking every year at Bama, LSU, Auburn, Miss and whoever else gets put in the SEC West. Rich oil guys can be impatient. And Jimbo isn't built like Nick. Dude's a herky-jerky, low IQ, nervous wreck certain to crumble when the heat gets turned up. Best recruiting haul in A&M history yesterday & he blows a gasket defending haul against snide comments from Lane & Nick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back