2022 ‘23 5* Lebbeus Overton reclassifies to '22

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the NCAA is not enforcing.
They can't. Its been proven in court that the NCAA can't restrict athletes from making money off of their likeness. Its also illegal to tell businesses that they have to cap what they pay to their employees. The relationship between business and adult students is basically untouchable.

There is no stopping this train. If one state makes it illegal n some capacity without buy in from the other participating states they'd just be killing themselves.

Advertisement
They can't. Its been proven in court that the NCAA can't restrict athletes from making money off of their likeness. Its also illegal to tell businesses that they have to cap what they pay to their employees. The relationship between business and adult students is basically untouchable.

There is no stopping this train. If one state makes it illegal n some capacity without buy in from the other participating states they'd just be killing themselves.
I think the fact that a collective isn’t a business makes these arrangements more iffy, but at the end of the day it’s state law that dictates rules, not ncaa or uniform fed laws.

But also… I have no idea what I’m talking about.

I think the fact that a collective isn’t a business makes these arrangements more iffy, but at the end of the day it’s state law that dictates rules, not ncaa or uniform fed laws.

But also… I have no idea what I’m talking about.
Federal law supercedes State law. There is no Federal law regarding NIL which is why it's governed by each state separately. If a Federal law existed, State law would be "without effect" under the Supremacy Clause written in the U.S. Constitution.

The NCAA guidelines for NIL defer to State law because they are powerless to govern NIL when the Supreme Court ruled 9-0 that the NCAA restrictions on college athletes "education related benefits" violates anti-trust law in the Alston vs NCAA.

Last edited:
This is illegal. This is NOT the way that NIL was intended to work. This is pay for play, same thing that so many other universities are doing. They must be desperate.

Actually...the meet-and-greets and the player-created content are more in line with what they could/should be doing. And if this is truly a "club" and is not actually offering any money prior to a verbal/LOI/enrollment, I'm not sure that the NCAA would take issue with this.

Advertisement
Federal law supercedes State law. There is no Federal law regarding NIL which is why it's governed by each state. If a Federal law existed, State law would be "without effect" under the Supremacy Clause written in the U.S. Constitution.
That’s what I meant… state law governs NIL because no federal law exists.

I assume the TX NIL law is “Yes!”… so there’s no illegality involved.

That’s what I meant… state law governs NIL because no federal law exists.

I assume the TX NIL law is “Yes!”… so there’s no illegality involved.
Very interesting part about AtM not doing pay-for-play. It's just laughable. Yes, the school can't do pay-for-play, but the boosters sure do.

Very interesting part about AtM not doing pay-for-play. It's just laughable. Yes, the school can't do pay-for-play, but the boosters sure do.
The NCAA can make sure that the schools aren't directly involved but all you need is an unrelated business and some boosters and then you can pay as much as you like.

It is pay for play though. If these businesses were truly trying to get the most out of their marketing dollars why spend it on people that you'd have to be a college football fans to recognize? There are plenty of local celebrities and retired athletes that would have more name recognition and would probably do it for the same amount.

I'm not sure that I've seen even one ad from out NIL players yet.

The NCAA can make sure that the schools aren't directly involved but all you need is an unrelated business and some boosters and then you can pay as much as you like.

It is pay for play though. If these businesses were truly trying to get the most out of their marketing dollars why spend it on people that you'd have to be a college football fans to recognize? There are plenty of local celebrities and retired athletes that would have more name recognition and would probably do it for the same amount.

I'm not sure that I've seen even one ad from out NIL players yet.
I think UM supporters are the most legit in the NIL era. They require our athletes to make appearances and do social media. Some have even shot commercials.

I've seen Chase Smith's energy drink commercial on YouTube. That's the only social media outlet I frequent, so I don't know what's happening at other venues.

Advertisement
I think UM supporters are the most legit in the NIL era. They require our athletes to make appearances and do social media. Some have even shot commercials.

I've seen Chase Smith's energy drink commercial on YouTube. That's the only social media outlet I frequent, so I don't know what's happening at other venues.
I agree. Ruiz is a very smart lawyer and only makes legal plays. I'm sure the NCAA already hates him.

I saw a football player while I was in Mississippi from Mississippi on a billboard. That was the one and only time I'd seen NIL in action.

Ruiz even learned to stop announcing his deals even though he could have likely continued to do so(it is a bad look). Every kid we've gotten this year has probably gotten a deal.

Right, but if I set up a group and call it "NIL", and say "Yes, any player that comes to Texas A&M gets $10M guaranteed", and there are no actual requirements for Name, Image, and Likeness then how is it NIL?

Isn't that essentially what A&M is doing? Setting up a giant slush fund to play players, without any commercial requirements?

Appreciate it my g 😂 case got dismissed fabricated evidence
There was nothing dismissed and nothing false. You got a 12 hour timeout for being an annoying troll poRster in that thread and then I let you back on the board as the purpose was served. But since you’ve come back I can see I should’ve left you out longer.

How’s that @Rellyrell my g?

There was nothing dismissed and nothing false. You got a 12 hour timeout for being an annoying troll poRster in that thread and then I let you back on the board as the purpose was served. But since you’ve come back I can see I should’ve left you out longer.

How’s that @Rellyrell my g?
Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 10.57.41 AM-1.png

Advertisement
Right, but if I set up a group and call it "NIL", and say "Yes, any player that comes to Texas A&M gets $10M guaranteed", and there are no actual requirements for Name, Image, and Likeness then how is it NIL?

Isn't that essentially what A&M is doing? Setting up a giant slush fund to play players, without any commercial requirements?
Yes. If the school is connected directly it would be an NCAA violation. If they can't find the connection then its just a bunch of people pooling their money to pay athletes, which unfortunately is as legal as somebody raising money to pay for your dogs funeral. Its a go fund me for football players.

Yes. If the school is connected directly it would be an NCAA violation. If they can't find the connection then its just a bunch of people pooling their money to pay athletes, which unfortunately is as legal as somebody raising money to pay for your dogs funeral. Its a go fund me for football players.

So, all they have to do is instead of flowers, put a picture of the athlete over the dog's casket and they're good.

Advertisement
I agree. Ruiz is a very smart lawyer and only makes legal plays. I'm sure the NCAA already hates him.

I saw a football player while I was in Mississippi from Mississippi on a billboard. That was the one and only time I'd seen NIL in action.

Ruiz even learned to stop announcing his deals even though he could have likely continued to do so(it is a bad look). Every kid we've gotten this year has probably gotten a deal.
That's just the stigma of college football. Where else in society does a company not announce its marketing partnerships?

College football is the ultimate free agency. Look at the NFL. You only have 32 teams. You are contractually obligated and don't control your free agency. You can't leave when you want to or just pick up and leave for more money.

College athletes are only limited by the 1 time free transfer. The NCAA is proposing to do away with that in favor of unlimited transfers. They feel having unlimited transfers will actually balance things out. The leverage over student athletes has been removed or lessened greatly.

I'm not crazy about all things in NIL. The positives do out way the negatives and nobody should control what a person can earn for themselves. People are just use to having control over these athletes. I call it the master/slave mentality that has been around since the game was invented. You hear rumblings from certain coaches who are accustomed to those "traditions."

That's just the stigma of college football. Where else in society does a company not announce its marketing partnerships?

College football is the ultimate free agency. Look at the NFL. You only have 32 teams. You are contractually obligated and don't control your free agency. You can't leave when you want to or just pick up and leave for more money.

College athletes are only limited by the 1 time free transfer. The NCAA is proposing to do away with that in favor of unlimited transfers. They feel having unlimited transfers will actually balance things out. The leverage over student athletes has been removed or lessened greatly.

I'm not crazy about all things in NIL. The positives do out way the negatives and nobody should control what a person can earn for themselves. People are just use to having control over these athletes. I call it the master/slave mentality that has been around since the game was invented. You hear rumblings from certain coaches who are accustomed to those "traditions."
Agreed. Had the NCAA not been so controlling nobody would have pushed back against their system. Its always been illegal but everyone, players included, were willing to look the other way to keep the game the way it was. But these multi million dollar tv contracts and power conferences and the unwillingness of the NCAA to share and let kids move around pretty much doomed them.

I think the first time a school pays a kid a million and he takes the money and transfers or washes out as a player they will begin to slow down the money train but right now everybody is trying to make up ground on Alabama, Clemson, OSU and now Georgia.

This is incorrect. They have to have a legit business to correctly use NIL in its intended form.

The NCAA hasn’t done anything about it YET, but you can bet your *** that in the near future the hammer is gonna come down on the collectives.

So, all they have to do is instead of flowers, put a picture of the athlete over the dog's casket and they're good.
Great.

So if Dwayne Johnson wants to one day put $350M down for the 2023 class per his "Rock NIL", we're good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back