Your Opinion - Golden and the Prez

The only reason us low level schmucks were in on the list was because the upper admin were busy with academic responsibilities so they relegated the duty to us knowing they would just tear it to shreds if it wasn't up to par for them. Our list was a skeleton that has undergone a ton of changes since then.

The list as it stands now does include Butch. He has an uphill battle to get the job, but he's at least on the radar.

Fisch is #1 by a mile in the eyes of the admin. He made a very good impression with anybody I've talked to, but I hope they dig a little deeper and see that he would not succeed here as the head coach.

Jedd left us high and dry and what he's doing in Jacksonville right now is not great by a long shot. Why is the Admin still harboring resentment towards Butch?

It's probably a mixture of how Butch left back in 2000 and also how he was associated with that academic scandal while at North Carolina.

That's exactly it. Butch being old doesn't help either. If it was 2007, there would be zero chance the school would so much as look at Butch's phone number let alone give him serious consideration. With each day that goes by, leaving in 2000 and the UNC issues become less and less critical for holding him back.

As far as Fisch goes, the admin feel he has Golden's best qualities without his negative qualities. He'll run a good clean program while being a strong enough X's and O's guy and making needed staff changes when the time calls for it, not in Year 4 in a desperate attempt to save your job. Young, SEC connections, NFL pedigree, and generally does more with less. That's what they like about him. His evaluations and recruiting talents will be major concern.

We wouldn't get more than 3-4 years out of Butch before he retired, but that would hopefully be enough to get things righted again.

Man, a Butch Davis hiring with Fisch as OC (also head coaching in waiting) would make things exciting around here again.

Exactly. Hire Butch, give him 4 years, and destiny is achieved.

And for the record, should Butch come back, Ken Dorsey will get the first phone call for the OC job and he will accept it in a heartbeat. I've heard that from three different admins.

Advertisement
Does the admin realize there is no room for error on this hire. We cannot go 0-4 on head coaches. Jedd has no head coaching experience and as has been pointed out, the recruiting is questionable. Butch Davis is the low risk hire. He has proven himself. As far as being old, isn't Saban old too?

Does the admin realize there is no room for error on this hire. We cannot go 0-4 on head coaches. Jedd has no head coaching experience and as has been pointed out, the recruiting is questionable. Butch Davis is the low risk hire. He has proven himself. As far as being old, isn't Saban old too?

The need for this hire to be a hit is why Butch is getting heavier than you expect interest. And Saban is actually 17 days older than Butch, but he has his machine up and running and has a lot more support at Alabama than Butch would have when he first gets here. It would take some Herculian genius by Butch to close the gap between the two programs quickly.

Jedd left us high and dry and what he's doing in Jacksonville right now is not great by a long shot. Why is the Admin still harboring resentment towards Butch?

It's probably a mixture of how Butch left back in 2000 and also how he was associated with that academic scandal while at North Carolina.

That's exactly it. Butch being old doesn't help either. If it was 2007, there would be zero chance the school would so much as look at Butch's phone number let alone give him serious consideration. With each day that goes by, leaving in 2000 and the UNC issues become less and less critical for holding him back.

As far as Fisch goes, the admin feel he has Golden's best qualities without his negative qualities. He'll run a good clean program while being a strong enough X's and O's guy and making needed staff changes when the time calls for it, not in Year 4 in a desperate attempt to save your job. Young, SEC connections, NFL pedigree, and generally does more with less. That's what they like about him. His evaluations and recruiting talents will be major concern.

We wouldn't get more than 3-4 years out of Butch before he retired, but that would hopefully be enough to get things righted again.

Man, a Butch Davis hiring with Fisch as OC (also head coaching in waiting) would make things exciting around here again.

And for the record, should Butch come back, Ken Dorsey will get the first phone call for the OC job and he will accept it in a heartbeat. I've heard that from three different admins.

This sounds like a dream scenario. How can people/admin know this though? Are feelers already being sent out? And we all know that Dorsey will eventually be prime coaching material, but is he prime coaching material right now?

Alabama is a machine with Saban. USC was a machine with Carroll. Miami was a machine with Butch Davis. SC and Bama struggled without the right coach but once the right coach is there….. winner… the raw ingredients are available. The talent is available in Southern Cal, Alabama and South Florida. It is not rocket science. I really hope the admin does not over think this one and makes the right call. It is such any easy decision. I think the support from the fan base would be overwhelming.

Advertisement

This sounds like a dream scenario. How can people/admin know this though? Are feelers already being sent out? And we all know that Dorsey will eventually be prime coaching material, but is he prime coaching material right now?

He's the best QB coach in the NFL. He taught Cam Newton, who ran nothing but option stuff at Auburn, how to read a defense. That's a minor miracle. I think he's ready for big time college play calling.

Some admin people keep in contact with Butch and Dorsey on a friendship level. They are of the opinion that Butch would ask Dorsey and are even more confident that Dorsey would take the position. He has more Hurricane love than anybody they know.

No feelers are out. They know Butch wants to come back because he's said in the media. No feelers are needed. Losing to VT will not get feelers put out. Losing to UNC would.

He's the best QB coach in the NFL. He taught Cam Newton, who ran nothing but option stuff at Auburn, how to read a defense. That's a minor miracle. I think he's ready for big time college play calling.

Some admin people keep in contact with Butch and Dorsey on a friendship level. They are of the opinion that Butch would ask Dorsey and are even more confident that Dorsey would take the position. He has more Hurricane love than anybody they know.

No feelers are out. They know Butch wants to come back because he's said in the media. No feelers are needed. Losing to VT will not get feelers put out. Losing to UNC would.

This all sounds very promising. With our 10 years of dismal luck/football/coaching decisions, it seems way too good to be true lol.

This all sounds very promising. With our 10 years of dismal luck/football/coaching decisions, it seems way too good to be true lol.

The admin knows we can't miss on the next hire whether it's Butch or not. They must make the right pick or the program will die.

so with that said, that the program is at such a cross roads… why even entertain riskier candidates. Is there a way to put together a grading system and risk adjust candidates? I am not saying risk of NCAA baggage or media perception. I mean risk of failure. Not winning. A person that has never been a head coach has a higher attached risk. Just because someone is old does not make them riskier. It just means they may not stick around. I would think on a risk adjusted basis Butch has to be #1. Snyder and Saban and old and good coaches…. more ammo to dismiss age.

Advertisement
The only reason us low level schmucks were in on the list was because the upper admin were busy with academic responsibilities so they relegated the duty to us knowing they would just tear it to shreds if it wasn't up to par for them. Our list was a skeleton that has undergone a ton of changes since then.

The list as it stands now does include Butch. He has an uphill battle to get the job, but he's at least on the radar.

Fisch is #1 by a mile in the eyes of the admin. He made a very good impression with anybody I've talked to, but I hope they dig a little deeper and see that he would not succeed here as the head coach.

Tell that to Mr. Snyder at KSU...

I know, right? Guy is 75 and and has that team playing sound football and they don't beat themselves with stupid mistakes.

I know, right? Guy is 75 and and has that team playing sound football and they don't beat themselves with stupid mistakes.

Nick Saban (Born Oct 31----explains a lot now, 1951)
Pete Carroll (Born Sept 15, 1951)
Bill Snyder (Born Oct 7, 1939)
Les Miles (Born Nov 6, 1953)

The aforementioned coaches are 60+ and they are killing it in the league. Butch is the same age as Nick and Pete and I can't see either of those guys retiring in 3-4 yrs. Butch could coach for a good 10yrs w/ no problem. Bill, Bobby, and the late Joe Pa all show(ed) on the collegiate level, age is not as relevant as long as you have your mental facilities.

The aforementioned coaches are 60+ and they are killing it in the league. Butch is the same age as Nick and Pete and I can't see either of those guys retiring in 3-4 yrs. Butch could coach for a good 10yrs w/ no problem. Bill, Bobby, and the late Joe Pa all show(ed) on the collegiate level, age is not as relevant as long as you have your mental facilities.

I'm sold.

I hope the UM admin doesn't ***** this up.

Advertisement

I'm sold.

I hope the UM admin doesn't ***** this up.

That's what scares the **** out of me too...even if they do end up doing the right thing and firing Golden at seasons end.

Also, this is not a complete rebuild as it ended up being the first time around here and when he was at UNC. So the age factor would not apply as much as it potentially could.

The man is just a savant at player development & recruiting and he's sitting there waiting for the call from UM. This is a no-brainer.

Also, this is not a complete rebuild as it ended up being the first time around here and when he was at UNC. So the age factor would not apply as much as it potentially could.

The man is just a savant at player development & recruiting and he's sitting there waiting for the call from UM. This is a no-brainer.

We've got a good young QB.....that alone means that by plugging in a decent coach this can be a pretty quick turnaround.

Advertisement
What I want to know is, who were the four people they think is better than Butch that we have realistic shot with?

1. Jedd Fisch. He was the clear top choice but there will be full scale riots if he is even interviewed.
2. Pat Narduzzi. has fallen on the list since then. Getting linked to the Michigan job and apparently unpleasant. Wont be hired.
3. Chad Morris. Not happening as far as I know.
4. Mark Stoops. Would be very interesting.
5. Butch.
6-X. Can't remember right now but it doesn't matter. They would be bad choices.

Rumor was the 6th was Tracy Claeys, Minnesota's DC who ran the team while Jerry Kill was having health issues.

If this list is accurate, outside of Narduzzi and Claeys I would be happy hiring any of them. I'd reverse the order though:

Butch
Stoops
Morris
Fisch

TedHendricks is playing this board like a fiddle. This dude's the new BigConch. He's preying on us at our time of desperation, but he's pushed it a little too far with the whole list. LULZ. Good work, Ted.

TedHendricks is playing this board like a fiddle. This dude's the new BigConch. He's preying on us at our time of desperation, but he's pushed it a little too far with the whole list. LULZ. Good work, Ted.

lmao, break it down Chise. What makes you so skeptical? talk to me

Ok, here's the solution. Let's plant the Al seed with the presidential search committee. He's well-spoken, smooth - well, sans his sophmoric Penn State flirtation - and fits the bill as a hand-shaking fundraiser. So we hire Al as the new University of Miami president - albeit at a slight pay cut, but with more job security - and head to the hills of Kentucky and hire Mark Stoops to coach football.

Lulz at these pipedreams that we can pull an SEC head coach. Our next HC is going to be a coordinator that wants a shot. Not a HC from a Power Five conference, especially not one from the SEC.

Jimmy Johnson was a HC from the Big 8, and we took him. If the admin wanted to we could hire an elite coach. We just choose to hire based on APR instead of on field results.

Advertisement
Back