Your Opinion - Golden and the Prez

Advertisement
1. Donna Shalala is no fan or friend of Al Golden at this point. She was the one burned the most by the Penn State situation.

2. D'Onofrio has 5 games left as the DC at Miami. If the season is somehow one step above terrible and Golden is retained, D'Onofrio will not be. Fans will be fed up either way and keeping D'Onofrio will legitimately nuke all fan support. At least the idea of a better defense can be sold again if D'Onofrio is gone. If Golden attempts to keep D'Onofrio, then that will just be an added bonus point to getting himself fired at the end of the season.

3. Donna's lame duck status is irrelevant in regards to Golden's job. If he sucks bad enough this year, he will be fired at the end of this year. What constitutes sucking that bad is up in the air. She might be more willing to fire him due to lingering angst over Penn State.

4. The admin is concerned about any racist labels but it will not dictate decision making. Golden had a cloud. Randy didn't. It can be spun that Golden was one game better than Shannon while having to deal with NCAA stuff and blah blah blah. True or not, it will sell to the media and keep the attack dogs off of Miami.

5. The admin isn't happy with how things are going and neither are other people that matter. There's not much more that can be done at this point. Al could come out tomorrow and say, "Death to America," while D'Onofrio wears a swastika cape and nobody will be fired. Changes will come at the end of the season. How extravagant will depend on the final 5 games. Getting blown out by a terrible VT team, a worse UNC team, and some combination of FSU, Pitt, and Virginia will certainly make it inevitable. My personal guess from what I've gathered from the admin is that a 6-6 season puts him at 50-50 of getting fired and the bigger losses to the worse opponents when coupled with fan/media responses will determine if he's retained. The expectation would be that he is not.

Thanks for the response. Do you know of any school that replaced a prez and coach in the same year?

After a quick Google search it turns out that Florida State hired Jimbo on January 7th, 2010 and Eric Barron assumed the Florida State presidency on February 1st, 2010. So there's that. Do community colleges count?

No problem on the response.

UF is currently looking for a president and Muschump will be out soon, so add them to the list

Ted, if the school thinks they can get around that racist angle by pointing to that retarded cloud, then they're dumber than I thought they were. That racist angle is real, and it's going to blow up in their faces.

I think it's a more serious issue than the actual admin does, but I'm just some schmo student in the office. Let me go on record and say there isn't a racist bone in the admin, but that will honestly be besides the point. Uncle Luke and guys like that will get there hands on this and the city will turn against the school to a degree. The next step is the national media will get it and the school will get crucified.

But the admin doesn't think that it will blow up to a damaging level and I think that's a mistake on their part to not expect such a situation. I will say Miami has some damage control abilities like you wouldn't believe to cushion the blow, but if the situation gets that bad they will endure some suffering they haven't experienced before.

1. Donna Shalala is no fan or friend of Al Golden at this point. She was the one burned the most by the Penn State situation.

2. D'Onofrio has 5 games left as the DC at Miami. If the season is somehow one step above terrible and Golden is retained, D'Onofrio will not be. Fans will be fed up either way and keeping D'Onofrio will legitimately nuke all fan support. At least the idea of a better defense can be sold again if D'Onofrio is gone. If Golden attempts to keep D'Onofrio, then that will just be an added bonus point to getting himself fired at the end of the season.

3. Donna's lame duck status is irrelevant in regards to Golden's job. If he sucks bad enough this year, he will be fired at the end of this year. What constitutes sucking that bad is up in the air. She might be more willing to fire him due to lingering angst over Penn State.

4. The admin is concerned about any racist labels but it will not dictate decision making. Golden had a cloud. Randy didn't. It can be spun that Golden was one game better than Shannon while having to deal with NCAA stuff and blah blah blah. True or not, it will sell to the media and keep the attack dogs off of Miami.

5. The admin isn't happy with how things are going and neither are other people that matter. There's not much more that can be done at this point. Al could come out tomorrow and say, "Death to America," while D'Onofrio wears a swastika cape and nobody will be fired. Changes will come at the end of the season. How extravagant will depend on the final 5 games. Getting blown out by a terrible VT team, a worse UNC team, and some combination of FSU, Pitt, and Virginia will certainly make it inevitable. My personal guess from what I've gathered from the admin is that a 6-6 season puts him at 50-50 of getting fired and the bigger losses to the worse opponents when coupled with fan/media responses will determine if he's retained. The expectation would be that he is not.

Thanks for the response. Do you know of any school that replaced a prez and coach in the same year?

After a quick Google search it turns out that Florida State hired Jimbo on January 7th, 2010 and Eric Barron assumed the Florida State presidency on February 1st, 2010. So there's that. Do community colleges count?

UF is currently looking for a president and Muschump will be out soon, so add them to the list

They already chose W. Kent Fuchs and Muschamp should be looking for realtors as we speak.

Thanks. They released that today.

Advertisement
a_butchdavis_i.jpg

Antwan defending his 50th in the nation nerd Queen till the death.

If you for a second that if Al goes 7-5 and isn't fired that every black journalist, commentator, coach, and fan in the South Florida won't be vocal about the University's clearly racist agenda, you got something coming. It's gonna get UGLY. Better pray he does better than 7-5, or your fish eater hero is going to look reeeeal bad.

Playing a non-existent race card...the ultimate in pathetic.

Advertisement
Ted, if the school thinks they can get around that racist angle by pointing to that retarded cloud, then they're dumber than I thought they were. That racist angle is real, and it's going to blow up in their faces.

With actual real racism out there presenting a real problem in our society, having some dumb "fan" trying to use imaginary racism as a way to attack an administration is just plain disgusting.

Antwan defending his 50th in the nation nerd Queen till the death.

If you for a second that if Al goes 7-5 and isn't fired that every black journalist, commentator, coach, and fan in the South Florida won't be vocal about the University's clearly racist agenda, you got something coming. It's gonna get UGLY. Better pray he does better than 7-5, or your fish eater hero is going to look reeeeal bad.

Awful schtick. For those of you who have exactly zero experience in employment law, here's the one question that shoots down your entire baseless, four-person theory: "Mr. Shannon, were you black when Dr. Shalala and the University of Miami hired you?"

Thanks for coming, folks. Case dismissed.

What I want to know is, who were the four people they think is better than Butch that we have realistic shot with?

Advertisement
Black Hammer

5-7 (2-6)
7-6 (4-4)
9-4 (5-3)
7-5 (5-3)
2-2 against FSU

Total 28-22 or 56% (16-16) and 0-2 in Bowl Games

v.

White Lightning

6-6 (3-5)
7-5 (5-3)
9-4 (5-3)
4-3 (1-2)
0-3 against FSU

Total 26-18 or 59% (14-13) and 0-1 in Bowl Games

blackhammerwhitelightning.jpg

You guys need to chill on playing the racism angle. If anything UM should be lauded for hiring a series of coaches that are mentally challenged and quite possibly only medium functioning autistic. So before you call someone a racist you might want to ask yourself "Am I prejudiced against the handicapable and those that want to integrate them into society?". There are only so many greeter slots at WalMart to go around.

Advertisement
You guys need to chill on playing the racism angle. If anything UM should be lauded for hiring a series of coaches that are mentally challenged and quite possibly only medium functioning autistic. So before you call someone a racist you might want to ask yourself "Am I prejudiced against the handicapable and those that want to integrate them into society?". There are only so many greeter slots at WalMart to go around.

We need to play whatever angle gets the most heat on the situation. He needs to be gone...anything we can do to make that more of a reality needs to be called into service.

I'm calling the Reverend Al Sharpton as we speak.

Years ago, like 6 six years ago, I use to say to the Mopes of Canestime, "Turn in your Canes gear then!", when they would come out in force and crap on everything.

Six years later seeing the same ol' bull**** and I'm right there with them, laughing at the idiots that I once was.

Advertisement
Back