Your Opinion - Golden and the Prez

Ok, here's the solution. Let's plant the Al seed with the presidential search committee. He's well-spoken, smooth - well, sans his sophmoric Penn State flirtation - and fits the bill as a hand-shaking fundraiser. So we hire Al as the new University of Miami president - albeit at a slight pay cut, but with more job security - and head to the hills of Kentucky and hire Mark Stoops to coach football.

Advertisement
You guys need to chill on playing the racism angle. If anything UM should be lauded for hiring a series of coaches that are mentally challenged and quite possibly only medium functioning autistic. So before you call someone a racist you might want to ask yourself "Am I prejudiced against the handicapable and those that want to integrate them into society?". There are only so many greeter slots at WalMart to go around.

We need to play whatever angle gets the most heat on the situation. He needs to be gone...anything we can do to make that more of a reality needs to be called into service.

I'm calling the Reverend Al Sharpton as we speak.

So lying about something as serious as racism is the way to go? Got it. That means that you don't have enough real things to attack, if you have to resort to lies. It undermines the real problems in coaching that we have right now, and undermines the real persistence of racism in this country.

Antwan defending his 50th in the nation nerd Queen till the death.

If you for a second that if Al goes 7-5 and isn't fired that every black journalist, commentator, coach, and fan in the South Florida won't be vocal about the University's clearly racist agenda, you got something coming. It's gonna get UGLY. Better pray he does better than 7-5, or your fish eater hero is going to look reeeeal bad.
They'll just say Goldie hasn't had a chance to get out from under "The Cloud" long enough so that's why he's being given more time than Randy.

Try telling that to our recruits.

Ok, here's the solution. Let's plant the Al seed with the presidential search committee. He's well-spoken, smooth - well, sans his sophmoric Penn State flirtation - and fits the bill as a hand-shaking fundraiser. So we hire Al as the new University of Miami president - albeit at a slight pay cut, but with more job security - and head to the hills of Kentucky and hire Mark Stoops to coach football.

Lulz at these pipedreams that we can pull an SEC head coach. Our next HC is going to be a coordinator that wants a shot. Not a HC from a Power Five conference, especially not one from the SEC.

Advertisement
1. Donna Shalala is no fan or friend of Al Golden at this point. She was the one burned the most by the Penn State situation.

2. D'Onofrio has 5 games left as the DC at Miami. If the season is somehow one step above terrible and Golden is retained, D'Onofrio will not be. Fans will be fed up either way and keeping D'Onofrio will legitimately nuke all fan support. At least the idea of a better defense can be sold again if D'Onofrio is gone. If Golden attempts to keep D'Onofrio, then that will just be an added bonus point to getting himself fired at the end of the season.

3. Donna's lame duck status is irrelevant in regards to Golden's job. If he sucks bad enough this year, he will be fired at the end of this year. What constitutes sucking that bad is up in the air. She might be more willing to fire him due to lingering angst over Penn State.

4. The admin is concerned about any racist labels but it will not dictate decision making. Golden had a cloud. Randy didn't. It can be spun that Golden was one game better than Shannon while having to deal with NCAA stuff and blah blah blah. True or not, it will sell to the media and keep the attack dogs off of Miami.

5. The admin isn't happy with how things are going and neither are other people that matter. There's not much more that can be done at this point. Al could come out tomorrow and say, "Death to America," while D'Onofrio wears a swastika cape and nobody will be fired. Changes will come at the end of the season. How extravagant will depend on the final 5 games. Getting blown out by a terrible VT team, a worse UNC team, and some combination of FSU, Pitt, and Virginia will certainly make it inevitable. My personal guess from what I've gathered from the admin is that a 6-6 season puts him at 50-50 of getting fired and the bigger losses to the worse opponents when coupled with fan/media responses will determine if he's retained. The expectation would be that he is not.

Thanks for the response. Do you know of any school that replaced a prez and coach in the same year?

After a quick Google search it turns out that Florida State hired Jimbo on January 7th, 2010 and Eric Barron assumed the Florida State presidency on February 1st, 2010. So there's that. Do community colleges count?

No problem on the response.

FSU is looking for a new president right now aren't they? and UF will be one replacing both (just approved a new president last week and will fire muschamp this year)

1. Donna Shalala is no fan or friend of Al Golden at this point. She was the one burned the most by the Penn State situation.

2. D'Onofrio has 5 games left as the DC at Miami. If the season is somehow one step above terrible and Golden is retained, D'Onofrio will not be. Fans will be fed up either way and keeping D'Onofrio will legitimately nuke all fan support. At least the idea of a better defense can be sold again if D'Onofrio is gone. If Golden attempts to keep D'Onofrio, then that will just be an added bonus point to getting himself fired at the end of the season.

3. Donna's lame duck status is irrelevant in regards to Golden's job. If he sucks bad enough this year, he will be fired at the end of this year. What constitutes sucking that bad is up in the air. She might be more willing to fire him due to lingering angst over Penn State.

4. The admin is concerned about any racist labels but it will not dictate decision making. Golden had a cloud. Randy didn't. It can be spun that Golden was one game better than Shannon while having to deal with NCAA stuff and blah blah blah. True or not, it will sell to the media and keep the attack dogs off of Miami.

5. The admin isn't happy with how things are going and neither are other people that matter. There's not much more that can be done at this point. Al could come out tomorrow and say, "Death to America," while D'Onofrio wears a swastika cape and nobody will be fired. Changes will come at the end of the season. How extravagant will depend on the final 5 games. Getting blown out by a terrible VT team, a worse UNC team, and some combination of FSU, Pitt, and Virginia will certainly make it inevitable. My personal guess from what I've gathered from the admin is that a 6-6 season puts him at 50-50 of getting fired and the bigger losses to the worse opponents when coupled with fan/media responses will determine if he's retained. The expectation would be that he is not.

Thanks for the response. Do you know of any school that replaced a prez and coach in the same year?

After a quick Google search it turns out that Florida State hired Jimbo on January 7th, 2010 and Eric Barron assumed the Florida State presidency on February 1st, 2010. So there's that. Do community colleges count?

No problem on the response.

FSU is looking for a new president right now aren't they? and UF will be one replacing both (just approved a new president last week and will fire muschamp this year)

Yeah, FSU was different (coach-in-waiting scenario), but maybe you guys are right in terms of UF.

What I want to know is, who were the four people they think is better than Butch that we have realistic shot with?

1. Jedd Fisch. He was the clear top choice but there will be full scale riots if he is even interviewed.
2. Pat Narduzzi. has fallen on the list since then. Getting linked to the Michigan job and apparently unpleasant. Wont be hired.
3. Chad Morris. Not happening as far as I know.
4. Mark Stoops. Would be very interesting.
5. Butch.
6-X. Can't remember right now but it doesn't matter. They would be bad choices.

Advertisement
What I want to know is, who were the four people they think is better than Butch that we have realistic shot with?

1. Jedd Fisch. He was the clear top choice but there will be full scale riots if he is even interviewed.
2. Pat Narduzzi. has fallen on the list since then. Getting linked to the Michigan job and apparently unpleasant. Wont be hired.
5. Butch.

Thanks for the reply. With the first 3 unknown as head coaches and Mark Stoops not having a long enough tenure/resume at Kentucky, Butch is still the best choice...imo.

5. Butch.

Wow. Sorry, I'm late to the party, but may I ask how you know this stuff? Who were the people coming up with this list, and why were they doing it as early as December of last year? Was the writing already on the wall because of the late season collapse?

Ken-Dorsey2.jpg

5. Butch.

Wow. Sorry, I'm late to the party, but may I ask how you know this stuff? Who were the people coming up with this list, and why were they doing it as early as December of last year? Was the writing already on the wall because of the late season collapse?

I'm a student that works in the President's office. That's how I know a lot of it.

The interns and some of the lower level admin came up with a list of Al Golden replacements in December of 2013 because it looked like he was Penn State bound and the school was in a full blown crisis. A list was needed quickly and this was a portion of what the mid-level and some upper admins approved of.

The late season collapse had nothing to do with it. It just looked like it was very likely the position was going to open up in the middle of the recruiting dead period so it was an emergency. The overwhelming majority of people at the school thought that last year was the stepping stone to a breakout this year and that is clearly not the case.

Last edited:
Advertisement

5. Butch.

I'm a student that works in the President's office. That's how I know a lot of it.

The interns and some of the lower level admin came up with a list of Al Golden replacements in December of 2013 because it looked like he was Penn State bound and the school was in a full blown crisis. A list was needed quickly and this was a portion of what he mid-level and some upper admins approved of.

The late season collapse had nothing to do with it. It just looked like it was very likely the position was going to open up in the middle of the recruiting dead period so it was an emergency. The overwhelming majority of people at the school thought that last year was the stepping stone to a breakout this year and that is clearly not the case.

That's interesting and the timing makes sense.

It's also interesting that they used interns and lower level admin to come up with the list.

I'm guessing that the list would look much different now, as it's still required but unfortunately because of a different series of events. I would hope that Butch would still make the list.

Interesting to see Fisch as #1. He must have really made a good impression while here.

5. Butch.

The interns and some of the lower level admin came up with a list of Al Golden replacements in December of 2013 because it looked like he was Penn State bound and the school was in a full blown crisis. A list was needed quickly and this was a portion of what he mid-level and some upper admins approved of.

It's also interesting that they used interns and lower level admin to come up with the list.

I'm guessing that the list would look much different now, as it's still required but unfortunately because of a different series of events. I would hope that Butch would still make the list.

Interesting to see Fisch as #1. He must have really made a good impression while here.

The only reason us low level schmucks were in on the list was because the upper admin were busy with academic responsibilities so they relegated the duty to us knowing they would just tear it to shreds if it wasn't up to par for them. Our list was a skeleton that has undergone a ton of changes since then.

The list as it stands now does include Butch. He has an uphill battle to get the job, but he's at least on the radar.

Fisch is #1 by a mile in the eyes of the admin. He made a very good impression with anybody I've talked to, but I hope they dig a little deeper and see that he would not succeed here as the head coach.

5. Butch.

The only reason us low level schmucks were in on the list was because the upper admin were busy with academic responsibilities so they relegated the duty to us knowing they would just tear it to shreds if it wasn't up to par for them. Our list was a skeleton that has undergone a ton of changes since then.

The list as it stands now does include Butch. He has an uphill battle to get the job, but he's at least on the radar.

Fisch is #1 by a mile in the eyes of the admin. He made a very good impression with anybody I've talked to, but I hope they dig a little deeper and see that he would not succeed here as the head coach.

Jedd left us high and dry and what he's doing in Jacksonville right now is not great by a long shot. Why is the Admin still harboring resentment towards Butch?

Advertisement

Jedd left us high and dry and what he's doing in Jacksonville right now is not great by a long shot. Why is the Admin still harboring resentment towards Butch?

It's probably a mixture of how Butch left back in 2000 and also how he was associated with that academic scandal while at North Carolina.

It's probably a mixture of how Butch left back in 2000 and also how he was associated with that academic scandal while at North Carolina.

What the admin have to see is that the academic scandal have been prevelant before Butch. UNC is still dealing w/ this scandal and Butch has been long gone. Do they not remember the crap he was handed in 95? While SI was calling for our football program to be dismantled, Butch handled it like a true professional and brought us right back to prominence. It's time to let bygones be bygones. Our football revenue is just as important as other school projects that have been funded. Butch is the only guy that can right this ship. EVERY SO. FLA kid know Butch Davis and they are going to get to know him a little better once the ESPN 30/30 airs later this year.

That's exactly it. Butch being old doesn't help either. If it was 2007, there would be zero chance the school would so much as look at Butch's phone number let alone give him serious consideration. With each day that goes by, leaving in 2000 and the UNC issues become less and less critical for holding him back.

As far as Fisch goes, the admin feel he has Golden's best qualities without his negative qualities. He'll run a good clean program while being a strong enough X's and O's guy and making needed staff changes when the time calls for it, not in Year 4 in a desperate attempt to save your job. Young, SEC connections, NFL pedigree, and generally does more with less. That's what they like about him. His evaluations and recruiting talents will be major concern.

That's exactly it. Butch being old doesn't help either. If it was 2007, there would be zero chance the school would so much as look at Butch's phone number let alone give him serious consideration. With each day that goes by, leaving in 2000 and the UNC issues become less and less critical for holding him back.

As far as Fisch goes, the admin feel he has Golden's best qualities without his negative qualities. He'll run a good clean program while being a strong enough X's and O's guy and making needed staff changes when the time calls for it, not in Year 4 in a desperate attempt to save your job. Young, SEC connections, NFL pedigree, and generally does more with less. That's what they like about him. His evaluations and recruiting talents will be major concern.

We wouldn't get more than 3-4 years out of Butch before he retired, but that would hopefully be enough to get things righted again.

Man, a Butch Davis hiring with Fisch as OC (also head coaching in waiting) would make things exciting around here again.

Advertisement
Back