Official Fall Camp PractiSE #11: Monday august 14th

Advertisement
I remember us having similar conversations about Thad but tbh, Fletcher is just a much better prospect

As much as we talk about getting “bodied” on the trail this year this dude was an early commit to OSU and many thought we had no shot, and we just straight took him from one of the most powerful programs in the country

Top end speed might lack just a tick but he’s got a lot of explosiveness to his game. Those highlights are fun to watch
We had the exact conversation about Thad, but the one difference I would point out from their high school videos is that Thad played like a big guy, which he is, and Fletcher plays like a physical player. I think we often confuse size for physicality. There are smaller backs who play physical, and larger ones who do not. That was our mistake with Thad. He was a power forward who wanted to shoot 3 point shots instead of Norchad Omier who makes a living on the inside.

To each coach their own system. Do any of us actually care as long as the team wins?
And if the team loses won’t many come on here and complain that Mario restricts access?

My point being, the only thing that matters is winning and losing. And the narrative that is spun in around winning and losing is garbage. Access or lack of access is not impacting winning and losing and is therefore irrelevant to the only thing that any of us actually care about. Stay on point people. We don’t care about the media. Beyond being the coach at UM, we don’t care about Mario Cristobal. And we only care about players when we win. that is what makes us fans.
I can understand from the coach's perspective that media is a distraction from actual football things to do.

That said, tickets and revenue and attendance count for something and drumming up interest in a team that was 5-7 last year isn't a terrible thing. And with the way the news is created now, more news = more social media posts = [hopefully] more fan interest/engagement/attendance = more $.

Besides, I doubt any opponent is scouring Susan Miller Degnan's twitter feed (that makes me laugh) to find out how carries are being split amongst the RBs so they can start gameplanning for 1 back vs. another. I think everyone understands the depth chart is gonna change a lot from here until game 1. And then once the games start being played, opponents will know our depth chart based on film, which again, means that whatever social media discussion is occurring re: depth chart now is totally meaningless. Which kinda goes back to the original point that discussions now about depth charts are kind of innocent and meaningless and so what's the big deal?

Advertisement
I remember the days when injuries were milked, players reported as doubtful until just before the games to keep opponents guessing. Not saying anyone lied, but envelopes were definitely pushed. Mario should be milking, and I don’t mean a cow…
a29bcdb6-12c8-4920-a816-d73febd5b01a_text.gif

I remember when a beat reporter from the Palm Beach Post tried to snitch on a coach for giving recruit a ride on a golf cart. He actually wrote an article on it and questioned whether it was an NCAA violation. Omar Kelly was another one who hated Miami and **** on the program whenever he could. The UM beat writers are just different and can’t always be trusted.

I remember us having similar conversations about Thad but tbh, Fletcher is just a much better prospect

As much as we talk about getting “bodied” on the trail this year this dude was an early commit to OSU and many thought we had no shot, and we just straight took him from one of the most powerful programs in the country

Top end speed might lack just a tick but he’s got a lot of explosiveness to his game. Those highlights are fun to watch
Nah some of us called thad out even when he was in high school. But it got shot down as being mopes so people probably dismissed it. There was a game where he played against bishop verot and we had the commited corner, he looked like he had heavy feet and was tip toeing thru the hole. But the numbers he put up were soo gaudy in high school you kinda like maybe that was a one off..

But when I heard he in offseason he had a red carpet to big role, I think we had a back injured and Rooster was gonna be suspended, the coaches tried to get him ready and he was still acting like he in high school big man on campus and skipping workouts, I came on here and said yea its not gonna work. I didnt say why because yea but that year I had player and he was causing issues, nesta called him out and it cause a little riff.. They tried to move on to other freshman back and he was not it either, lol..

We had the exact conversation about Thad, but the one difference I would point out from their high school videos is that Thad played like a big guy, which he is, and Fletcher plays like a physical player. I think we often confuse size for physicality. There are smaller backs who play physical, and larger ones who do not. That was our mistake with Thad. He was a power forward who wanted to shoot 3 point shots instead of Norchad Omier who makes a living on the inside.
I also still thin Thad could have been that guy. He had opportunities and apparently was not working or prepping like he should. Likely the reason he is at Louisiana Monroe sitting second string weighing well over 240lbs and I saw had like 7 carries for 20 yards in their scrimmage. Same issues could happen with Fletcher theoretically. He just fits the same mold of if he puts it together he can be a problem late in games.

Advertisement
I remember when a beat reporter from the Palm Beach Post tried to snitch on a coach for giving recruit a ride on a golf cart. He actually wrote an article on it and questioned whether it was an NCAA violation. Omar Kelly was another one who hated Miami and **** on the program whenever he could. The UM beat writers are just different and can’t always be trusted.
Was it that tool Matt Porter?

Unfortunately, the issue here isn't a good old boy system. Most of the folks attending limited practice sessions and interviews aren't traditional journalists, and those that are tend to be incompetent, or harmless leftovers from a lost era. The much larger issue is about control. Dan Rather in his prime could show up and raise ****, but he wouldn't return for a second day. Saban, Urbie and their ilk went crazy with the control-freak act so near every coach in the country has followed suit. The Alabama OC and DC (our old friend) spoke to the media last week, and it was duly noted that it would be the last they spoke this season. So practicing solid journalism or asking a slightly controversial question can be an occupational hazard. Just imagine if SMD were to seek out Zion or reached out to his parents about his knee injury -- any issue with the procedure? rehab rushed? pressure to play? The SID and Coach Mario would shred the poor thing & Canes fans would never again see SMD.
All sports beat "journalism" is access journalism at this point. Don't stir the pot or access gets revoked. They don't realize that when you cave to the teams that just gives them more incentive to bring all media in house and there's no need for sports beat reporters anymore.

Advertisement

Love Fletcher and the potential of our RBs 👍🏽 We've got weapons. Let's stay healthy pleeeeeeze 🙏🏾

I can understand from the coach's perspective that media is a distraction from actual football things to do.

That said, tickets and revenue and attendance count for something and drumming up interest in a team that was 5-7 last year isn't a terrible thing. And with the way the news is created now, more news = more social media posts = [hopefully] more fan interest/engagement/attendance = more $.

Besides, I doubt any opponent is scouring Susan Miller Degnan's twitter feed (that makes me laugh) to find out how carries are being split amongst the RBs so they can start gameplanning for 1 back vs. another. I think everyone understands the depth chart is gonna change a lot from here until game 1. And then once the games start being played, opponents will know our depth chart based on film, which again, means that whatever social media discussion is occurring re: depth chart now is totally meaningless. Which kinda goes back to the original point that discussions now about depth charts are kind of innocent and meaningless and so what's the big deal?
Valid points. I just think winning cures all, and losing ails all. If we win, will anyone still care How Mario handled the local media?

Advertisement
Nah some of us called thad out even when he was in high school. But it got shot down as being mopes so people probably dismissed it. There was a game where he played against bishop verot and we had the commited corner, he looked like he had heavy feet and was tip toeing thru the hole. But the numbers he put up were soo gaudy in high school you kinda like maybe that was a one off..

But when I heard he in offseason he had a red carpet to big role, I think we had a back injured and Rooster was gonna be suspended, the coaches tried to get him ready and he was still acting like he in high school big man on campus and skipping workouts, I came on here and said yea its not gonna work. I didnt say why because yea but that year I had player and he was causing issues, nesta called him out and it cause a little riff.. They tried to move on to other freshman back and he was not it either, lol..
It’s becoming a bit of a redundant conversation about culture and I don’t want to keep overplaying it, but these 2023 kids are coming in all about business it seems. I think they fully bought in to what Mario was selling. Like look this team was not recruited by me, you’re my guys and you can beat them out if you work.

My only hesitation with Fletcher was it didn’t seem like we were getting reliable testing data and height/weight which is common in high school. But this kid as a freshman at 6-2 225 and he looks lean…sheesh. The size (pause) of this class is insane

Advertisement
Back